The Sossidge Shack - Summer House Build

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted a few times in the PPOYRP thread with a few items that have been bought over the past few weeks which are for the summer(winter)house build. I've taken some photos as I've gone along and thought I'd share them here with you guys.

Initially it all started out with SWMBO wanting a decked area up the top end of the garden where the last of the sun shines.
IMG_20180715_201126.jpg
This is the view from the best corner where the sun will finish up.

After pruning some bushes and digging them up the area was initially marked and set for a deck about 4m x 3m. 4x4 Posts were initially sunk and some 3x3s added to help with the framing and additional support.
IMG_20180707_203620.jpg IMG_20180708_180605.jpg IMG_20180708_180701.jpg

It was after this that she decided the small sycamore could come down and the 4 leylandi could also come down and I could extend the deck area further for the inclusion of a summer house. She's good to me like that!!

So more digging of roots and more sinking of posts extended the deck to the left about another 1.5m. This was all framed using 6x2 for the outer edges, some a couple more 6x2 under the deck for main support and then 4x2 for the majority with 4x2 noggins.
IMG_20180715_201712.jpg

Some cheap solar leds were bought to get an idea of lighting but they're a bit crap really so will be running power and doing it properly. But they made the deck useable during the evenings when it was nice and warm back in July when this was started.
IMG_20180719_223356.jpg

Last edited:
Not much happened until Early Sept due to holidays and 'planning' (that's what I call it, she calls it being lazy and putting it off). The leylandii needed to come down and be dug out so a chainsaw was bought.
IMG_20180721_135953.jpg IMG_20180901_145931.jpg

Despatched the trees and dug the roots - never again!!. Also finally put a step on the front of the deck.
IMG_20180902_191502.jpg IMG_20180908_135509.jpg IMG_20180724_191438.jpg

Last edited:
Finally stopped planning and got around to ordering the timber.

6x2, 4x2, 3x2 CLS.
IMG_20180908_132700.jpg

Nailgun
IMG_20180907_145855.jpg

Made a 3x2 frame for the floor. This will be insulated with PIR (Kingspan/Cellotex).
IMG_20180908_180436.jpg
Made an error with the 3x2 frame as in hindsight i should have had all my 'gaps' fit over the main frame underneath. But too late now! The 6x2 is to support the doors.

DPM fitted over the base frame, breathable membrane over the top of that and the floor frame fixed into position.
IMG_20180909_143154.jpg

Last edited:
Back and sides made with 4x2 and clamped into position. Nail gun made this all soooo much easier.
IMG_20180911_185059.jpg

Surround made for the doors. Looking at bifolds for this so figured I needed to make it sturdy. 2x 6x2s for uprights at each end. Lintel made with 2x 6x2 sitting on top of a 6x2. This was very heavy. Lifted into position all on my own aswell. Was very bum twitching!!
IMG_20180912_102231.jpg

Insulation in (ran out!) and OSB on the roof with air gap at the front. 1.5mm T&E for lighting and 2.5mm T&E for sockets.
IMG_20180917_181732.jpg IMG_20180917_181759.jpg

I'm now waiting on the cedar cladding for the outside and plasterboard and more insulation for inside so at the moment it all looks like this.
IMG_20180917_182013.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a lot of hard work and a lot of effort but I've really enjoyed doing it. I've made mistakes along the way but I've managed to live with some and rectify others.

Still to do:
Sparky to hook me up to the mains.
Plasterboard and skim
Cladding
Roof felt
Bifolds
Lighting
Sockets
Internet
and probably much more.

Last edited:
The sossidge shack eh, sounds like my kinda shack.

To be continued next year or are you going for it this year?

Looking great so far!

Last edited:
To be continued next year ore are you going for it this year?

Looking great so far!

This year!

Cedar, plasterboard and insulation for roof is arriving on Monday.

Bought roof felt yesterday and tried to get that sorted yesterday but started raining and the wind really picked up so knocked it on the head.

Have you considered an EPDM roof? Costs a bit more but lasts a lot longer.

Have you considered an EPDM roof? Costs a bit more but lasts a lot longer.
I did, and I was going to get it ordered but thought I had a window yesterday morning before rain and winds started so quickly headed to Wickes but unfortunately I wasn't fast enough. I may return the felt though as I am away this weekend so unlikley to get the roof done.

Looks great. Rays of sunshine in the 1st shot :cool::smashin:

(your signature - :laugh::thumbsup:)

Started to run Cat5e to the Shack. Stupidly I poked the end of the cable into the old TV aerial point and into the house and then carried the cable box up to the shack. I should have left the box in the shack and dragged the cable down. That way I could have fed the end behind all the obstacles including soil pipe, gas pipe and rainwater down pipes! Instead I then had to pull 60 metres of cable all the way back, get it all tangled, untangle it run behind those obstacles, get tangled, untangle, swear, etc. Managed to get one done and tacked to the wall and behind the fence.

Hopefully Unifi will arrive today which means on Sunday I will have wifi installed. :clap:

Think of it as character building.

Just seen this thread and now I got that damn meme in my head :( lol

Yesterday finally managed to get the roof felt on and also all the insulation taped up. Wrapped the structure with breathable membrane and even managed to get MrsSossidge roped in. She managed to lay the floorboards. Taught her to secret nail and she did a great job. Today I move onto cladding The cedar arrived last Monday and has been outside adjusting since then. Hopefully I'll get the majority of it cladded today.

IMG_20180929_135334.jpg
IMG_20180929_135238.jpg
IMG_20180929_135226.jpg

Cladding going on well. Secret nailing is a pain in the bum but looks better for it. Using stainless lost head nails and drilling pilot holes to prevent the tongue from splitting.

Wife happy too.

IMG_20180930_155334.jpg

Looks great Jase, I'm still in the planning stage for replacing out decking outside as the old one is rotted through now. I'd love a man cave and outdoor kitchen type area with a sink but that's a long way off in my planning :)

Not managed to complete much these last couple of weekends. Managed to put up a couple of sheets of plasterboard on the inside and this weekend we had new windowsills fitted from the people who did our oak table top.

Had been getting a lot of mud splash though on the side of the shack due to the mounds of mud where I needed to dig out for the deck base. So on Sunday, after a trip to B&Q (who won't take contactless payments or accept Google/Apple Pay!!!!) I got back on the spade and dug a trench and levelled out some ground and dropped in some black limestone pavers, some weed suppressant and some cotswold stone chips.

Resulting in:
IMG_20181008_074413.jpg
IMG_20181008_074429.jpg

Hopefully the stone won't allow for much 'splash' once the dust has washed itself away.

Sparky coming on Thursday night to quote for running power up to the shack. Also need to quiz him about the internal electrics as some of the cable may be behind insulation in the roof void and I've read that this could possibly not be to 17th Edition so I need to check with him before I insulate the roof.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom