1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony VPL-VW10HT Projector ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nobby, Apr 8, 2002.

1. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    :confused:

hello all

bit of advice please

i have the following options available to me and i want to confirm with u's in what mite be the better deal for me ... ere goes

i can get my meaty hands on the sony projector (as above ... if i'm quick) for around 2700 (inc ceiling bracket)!!!

the pj has done about 175hrs in 'cinema black mode' and is around the 6mth age bracket

is this a good deal, and should i be aware of any potential prob's with this projector?

i also have the option to purchase a davis cinemaone projector with line doubler and a sahara screen for 2500? this pj and screen is brand new!

What do u think guys ... good, bad, nothin special???

does anyone recommend the davis make/model?

if i go for the sony what price should i pay for a decent screen (pull down)?

Cheers

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The VW10 has been discontinued by Sony for a couple of months now. Several dealers were selling them at discount rates of £3,500.

It's a good projector, but the newer VW11 has some better features and can be bought for as little as £3,600 on-line or cheaper if you import from europe. A new ceiling bracket can be had for ~£175 from www.unicol.com.

I can't comment on the Davis model.

As for screens, have a look on www.direkt2u.co.uk as they have the Da-Lite model B and Model C's. The model B 80x45 16:9 screen is ~£202.

Hope that's helpful.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I have been using my VW10 for a couple of years, nearly 1000 hours in Cinema Black mode.

Possible problems:

1) Poor black levels. This bothers some people more than others. It doesn't bother me. You can improve them significantly with the addition of a pink colour correcting filter, plus some tweaking of the colour balance in the service mode.

2) Bad pixels. The best thing to do is to see it working before you buy it. On the remote, press the PIC MUTE button to display a plain black image, then look for bright pinpricks. If you can see any from your normal viewing distance/screen size, and they will bother you - don't buy it. It is a manufacturing "defect" - they don't fail in use, but they cannot be repaired.

3) Dust ingress. Depends on the environment. Causes feint, diffuse patches of colour, several cms in diameter, normally most visible on black. The cleaning process is pretty easy and solves the problem.

4) Fan noise. Not particularly bad on this PJ.