The Sony strdb940 or the yamaha 596 or dsp a5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tan1415, Jan 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Hope you can help me out here.
    I was planning to buy a amp to complement my KEF q series speakers.
    I am not think ing of buying a TOP of the line amp. All of them get old and redundant sooner or later. Most within 5 years i believe.
    So i rather change my strategy to either buy components(too expensive and to much hassle) or go and buy a highly regarde midlevel amp.
    (I already went with a top Amp yamaha 1070...too bad it didn't have any 5.1 inputs)

So once burned twice shy. And frankly these midlevel Amps surely impressed me.
    No EX or THX.
    But for the rest their specs looks awesome. 100watts rms just like my old Amp.

So my choice has fallen to these sets.
    All three are highly regarded with great reviews.
    So which to choose?

The Sony is more expensive with Like all sonys alot of gadgets.
    It's higly regarded...but it's still a Sony.
    With all due respect...sony is like philips is not that highly regarded in the Hifi world.
    Is this 940 that good or is it due to all the extras and gadget it delivers?

The yamaha Dspa5 and the 596 are they identical? They are cheaper but also highly regarded and comes from the stable of the giants of home cinema yamaha.
    I don't really need a tuner...but if they are identical. Give me the 596 then.The price are the same!!
    So how does this compare to the sony?
    Is it only the gadgets that set the SOny apart?
    Or is there more?

Anyone compared these amps? Which has the better sound?
    i think that i am not the only one who's comapring these amps.

Anyway thanks for reading my posting and i really look forward to your replys.

DT

2. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The A5 and 596 are the same apart from the tuner in the 596.

There is normally around a £20 price difference. If you've seen them at the same price, it depends what the price is !

A5's are hard to find. You'll probably end up paying more than the lowest advertised price as these places don't usually have stock. I've seen them advertised between £219 and £300.

I can personally recommend the A5 as I have one myself.

3. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony 940.
    It's incredibly complex to set up and there are so many options that you'll get your brain in a real twist, but once you've cracked it and spent some time playing you can get a great sound & make up for some of the inadequacies of your listening room.

It's not so fantastic with music though some say, although I haven't found cause to complain - I am currently playing my CD's through my DVD player and have made a second connection over phonos to the CD channel on the amp which gives me a better result than the digital coax alternative running through the DVD channel.

Doing it this way, with the phono connections allows you to set different sound settings for CD on the amp.

I was so happy with the results of my tinkering that I've given the NAD c340 & 540 combination to the missus and cleared some space in the HC room.

The only way you'll really know is to painstakingly audition the amps with source material you know well.

Gid

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if i the Strdb940 has an RF Digital output? So that i can connect my Laserdisc player?

Thanks for the info

BTW what kind of speakers do you have?
    I have the qseries from Kef.
    And iwas wondering with which amp it will best combine with.

5. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware, it's got an optical out but not a coaxial out.
    I could only find a picture of the rear of the 930, which has pretty much the same connections... http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Sony/SonySTR-DB930_rear.jpg

I have a set of TDL RTL-5 floorstanders in front, Paradigm cc370 center, celestion impact 10 rears and Paradigm PDR-1000 sub.

As you can see, I am not of the school of thought which says you must buy all your speakers from the same manufacturer. Indeed, I believe on buying what sounds best - my TDL's aren't even shielded for HC use but damn they sound great!

Gid

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gid,

Wow is connecting ALL AV amps this difficult?
    Or is this just with the Sony 940?

Anyway connecting your VCR via Svideo will onlu work your VCR is SVHS right?
    Otherwise it's better to use normal scart.

But when you connect your sound you use phonoplugs.
    But when you connect DVD it's best to use a digital Coax cable?

Do you think that the 940 has enough in/out puts to connect 1 VCR,1 LDplayer ,1 DVD and 1 CAssette deck?

And are you telling me that you're not using your OnScreenDisplay of the 940?
    Why didn't you buy the 930? An earlier model,but just as highly rated as the 940.But much cheaper and it only misses a OSD.

You only have two scarts to your TV? That's not enough? How many more scarts would you have needed? My Panny has 3 scarts.
    1 for my DVD RGB scart,1 for my OSD from the amp,the third probably for my VCR.
    Is this a good setup?

Thanks.
    BTW i am buying the sony 940 and the DVD 535 from pioneer.

Gid, hope you check often because i think i'll need all the help i can get setting up my system.

DT.

7. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re connecting the VCR - I have not tried connecting my VCR through the amp, but I think if you have a scart to s-video cable then you can connect it through the amp in this way.

It is slightly confusing, but I think it unlikely that your VCR will output s-video signals (mine doesn't) and will instead output composite video over the s-video cable - so as you can keep everything connected on the same bus. (Someone else may be able to add more info on the s-video output from VCRs)

Yes - connect tape / VCR / satellite audio outputs to the amp via phono cables but use digital coax to connect the DVD to the amp - this is because the amp interprets the digital signal and performs the decoding of Dolby Digital / DTS, etc - otherwise you would have to have a decoder onboard the DVD player and run 6 phonos to the multi channel input on the amp - don't do this as the decoder in the 940 will be better than your DVD.

I think you've got plenty of in/outputs on the 940 to connect all you have, and more besides so don't worry.

You are correct - I don't use the OSD on the 940 because I haven't connected my DVD, video, etc through it. When I lay my hands on some scart to s-video cables, I may have a go. The other benefit for connecting through the amp is that it will do the video switching when you change the amp function.

The 2 scarts on my panny are enough because I chain my cable decoder into the video then into one of the panny scarts. The other is occupied by my DVD at present.

You suggested using one scart specifically for the OSD from the amp - I suggest you don't do this if you are connecting the DVD and VCR directly to the TV because you will have to change AV function on the TV just to see the OSD on the amp - it will not be overlaid onto one of the other sources you are watching. However, if you are connecting all your devices through the amp you will only need one scart connection at the TV and that's connected to the monitor s-video out on the amp.

Highly confusing, I know - but I think most amps can be just as confusing in the same ways.

Good luck
    Gid

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gid,

What's actually Svideo "switching"
    What does it do?

And is it true that if you use a scart to connect your vcr to your TV,you wouldn't need to connect your VCR to the Receiver?
    For it's sound.

9. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tan1415,
    When I said switching, I was referring to the use of the 940's mode control (the knob under the volume control which allows you to change from CD to Tuner to DVD, etc) which, if you connect all your video sources through the amp (DVD, VCR, Cable/satellite) using the s-video leads I mentioned, will not just change the sound source but also the video source.

e.g. you are watching a DVD - the amp is set to DVD and the picture and sound on the TV both come from the DVD - using the mode knob on the 940, switch to VCR, then you will not just get the VCR sound with the DVD picture which is what you probably have now, but you will also get the VCR picture

i.e. the amp is switching both audio and video sources at the same time with no need to change channels on TV or use a different A/V source.

In answer to your second question - if you want to get sound from your VCR coming out of your 940, then you will need to connect the audio outputs of the VCR to the audio inputs on the 940. The best way to do this is to get a scart to [s-video & 2-phono] cable. This way you use the scart out on your VCR, feeding the video onto the 940's s-video bus.

10. GENEX

GENEX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FAO paulw77:

I'd love an A5. Where did you get yours from,and how much did you pay?

11. boltona

boltona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got an A5 from Sardar Dogra Bros (Chiswick W4) for £199 which I thought was brilliant and they have them in stock... I am very happy with mine

12. jmounsey

jmounsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've got an A5 from SBD (cost me 250 mind) I was wondering if you knew where I could get some plugs for wiring in the speaker cable to the connectors. I'm justusing the twisted wire at the mo but it's a bit messy. Normal connectors that fit my speakers don't fit.

Cheers