1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The sony 940 and its EQ

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tan1415, Feb 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just bought my Strdb 940 from Sony. i set every thing up and seems to work.
    Only thing i can't figure out is it's EQ. I know it's an equalizer...but that's it.
    The manual doesn't say how to use it. And frankly i never used an equalizer before and i am not sure how it works. Can i trust the factory settings?
    I am curious how you have have set your EQ.

When you use the DSP modes...does it automatically configure and use your EQ?

Also i am curious if someone hears a hiss from his receiver. I can hear it from my frontspeakers. And it's pretty irritating.

Thanks a lot i hope you can help me out.

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have an older model, the 925. I switch the EQ off to have the signal as direct as possible.

The 925 manual mentions that noise will increase if you use the 'Cinema Surround' soundfield options, you know, the ones that simulate a bank of rear speakers. I don't use them as they boost levels, and I went to the trouble of balancing the system in the first place.

My advice would be to use straight digital surround and no EQ. If you still hear a hiss, it may be a fault as there have been a number of posts on this board regarding hissing on the 940. Try a search and see what you think.

3. Koen

Koen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sony da50-es, which has the eq as well. It took me some time to but I've got it figured out now. It's not really an equalizer, rather an elaborate tone control.
    You can set tones for bass, mids, and high frequencies and you can adjust the Hz-level at which each of the three makes the correction. the lower the Hertz the lower the tone and vice versa. I mostly turn it off, only on a few brash recording.
    good luck with it, e-mail me if you want more explanation.
    Cheers,
    Koen

"I'll be right here"

4. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Strb 940 and my advice would be to leave the eq alone - I messed around for about a day and ruined the sound and had to do a cold reset. Loosing all my presets doh!!

But yes the dsp just affect the eq creating echo's and alike.

John

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your responses.
    I think not using the EQ is the best advice.