1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Snow Patrol- Final Staw

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mason, Oct 25, 2004.

1. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have been listening to this album all weekend- absolutley amazed!! One word------ SUPERB!!

Bext album of 2004??-- I think so! :smashin:

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i bought it months ago when it first came out, really liked it, saw them live supporting athlete (who they totally blew away cuz athlete aint very good!) listened to the cd then lent it to a friend about 3 months ago, aint seen it since so im guessing she likes it!

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Mason/Mr Jones

You should hear the SACD version :thumbsup:

4. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, Snow Patrol - Final Straw album is indeed a cracking album certainly one of the albums of 2004. I got it when it first came out and haven't stopped playing it since. Another album of the year in my opinion is Keane - hopes and fears, i haven't stopped playing that one either.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have to say that IMO its pretty mediocre, saw them live too and thought the same. OK, but very much in The Coldplay / Travis school of music. There seems to be so much of this style around at the moment. Its the same with Keane (who IMO are probably the worst, sorry, but thats my impression).

I agree thats its easy unchallenging listening, which to many people is exactly what they are looking for, sit down, glass of wine, chill out etc and this translates to great music in many peoples ears.

What else do you listen to by comparison ? What made you buy the album? was it the chart single, word of mouth, music mags, advertising or just an impulse buy?

Its not really that important,what you like is what you like, but it really makes me wonder if you consider this to be the best of the year, maybe, just maybe, you might be missing out.

Lets open the discussion a bit wider :thumbsup:

6. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

i stand totally by the suns description of keane - "more middle of the road than chris deberge dancing on a lamp post" keane are utterly unspecatcular, filling the gap nicely between travis (whos early stuff i like) and coldplay (who make me wanna go and stab needles in my eyes)

by comparison i listen to bands like erm....

gin blossoms
    ben folds (got tickets to manchester - i cant wait!)
    five for fighting
    matchbox 20
    tabithas secret
    counting crows
    dave matthews band

plus loads of metal, rock and indie music as well as lovin' punk (the latest green day album is high on my playlist at the moment, although alot of it is same old same old) i have no real set list of music i like, i like what i like and thats it, always open to listent o anything that takes my fancy!

best album ive bought this year erm... erm.... rpobably the latest beastieboys offering, although ive not really bought any new releases at the moment, most of the stuff i bought this year has been old stuff (i found ameoba records when i was in san francisco over the summer wow!)

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I didnt want to get quite that critical of Keane.......but :laugh:

Punk, now your talking, how about hardcore stuff, Black Flag, Minutemen, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Gang of Four ?

and the slightly stranger off kilter stuff like The Meat Puppets (only the first four albums mind).

Something thats worth a listen at the moment (its not Punk) The Arcade Fire - Funeral, very Indie, it was a Pitchfork recommendation (which I dont set too much store by) but is a great listen that takes time to grow.

Ameoba Records, I was there about 4 weeks ago, I wish we had one near me....ooeer on second thoughts, we probably wouldnt have a house :rolleyes: if I lived anywhere near a shop like that. Its dead snooty mind, assistant :confused: reminded me of that guy in Homer Simpson that works in the comic shop :D

8. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've never seen a lamp post in the middle of the road...

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You've seen my insurance claim form then :eek:

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Karkus

I agree to a certain extent re : Snow Patrol, nothing new and a touch derivitive. It is quite good to listen to though especially on SACD. Whether I'll be listening to it in 10 years is debateable though ;)

These days I find most music derivitive in one way or another and there are less and less albums that I find are different, could be looking (listening) in the wrong places though.....

Any recommendations greatly accepted :thumbsup:

11. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hehe sorry my bad, i meant cats eye!

i found ameoba to be really friendly, once the shock of so many cd's in one place wore off, i bagged some real bargains, an album thats not available in the uk and was suposedly scratched, for $1.99! bargain!
    i found the staff to be ace, had a good chat with the bloke on the counter, top folks!

jamie

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Maybe I got the awkward one. Or maybe its just the way we phrase questions in the UK. Anyway cant complain about the place, but they need to swap it for something over here.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im always wary, but try The Arcade Fire-Funeral. Cant say its not derivative, cant say that about any music really. Its brand new so I cant be accused of favouring the oldies but goldies :)

If you want to hear something slightly off the wall, its loud though ! is the Directors Cut by the Fantomas. Dont listen to it with the lights off.

Bad Brains - I against I is a good introduction to Hardcore a sort of reggae alternative to Rage against the Machine (which you should be familiar with).

Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II theres not much like the Puppets, like Mike Patton of the Fantomas, you get the feeling it was never intended as popular music. Think Punk rock /country its refered to as cowpunk, most people hate the out of tune vocals, but they sort of grow on you (its the pups having a laugh), the guitar playing is sublime and there's a track with, probably one of the best instrumental breaks I have heard.

Gang of Four - Entertainment, its my new best friend, if you want to hear where a lot of derivative comes from ie RATM and The Chilli's then you will not have to listen hard.

Theres loads of other stuff that I like , ambient music by Eno, William Basinski etc thats on the edge of very different. Depends on what flavours you like.

14. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the SACD version is disappointing, actually. I also own the redbook cd (sad fan :blush: ) and must say it holds up extremely well. Really not much difference between the two, IMHO.

And there I was hoping it would convince my mates to go Hi-Res :rolleyes:

KK

15. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Karkus,
    This is moving away from Snow Patrol I know, but don't think I've heard Meat Puppets II, I've got 4 cd's:-
    Too high to die,
    Forbidden Places (my favourite)
    No Joke (never really got into)
    No Strings attached (compilation, never really listened to .)

is Meat Muppets II similar to any of those? chances are that some of the tracks are on No Strings...

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I dont have the compilation sampler, but Ive looked the track listing up and theres about 3 or 4 songs that are on Puppets II. This doesnt tell the whole story as Pups II is a really cohesive album and taking odd tracks out doesnt really do it justice.

The later albums are not as good as the early 80s stuff, by the late 80s early 90s they had become almost mainstream. The early albums, PupsII, Heuvos and Up on the Sun are the classics, theres something about them thats hard to describe, maybe they were laughing at themselves on those albums and it comes across as playful and eccentric, with no real attempt to pander to commercial pressures.

But Pups II is the ultimate album and is probably my favourite album of all time, it makes me laugh and I can feel the desert heat on my back, its like a really great book, sort of opens a window on another way of living and its very honest.

If your looking for the last word in virtuoso performance or you hate out of tune singers, then you will struggle to understand this performance. It passed me by for a long time, the only reason that I listened to it for any length of time was a long car journey and no other CDs.

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought mine in june 2003 or there abouts, seems even longer. Love the album

18. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    I would say that 'Final Straw' was one of my favourite albums of 2004. Superb. But it was only recently that I discovered that they actually have 2 other albums out (thought Final Straw was their debut!!) - does anyone have them and how do they compare? They seem to get great reviews on Amazon.