The Slow Demise of Blu ray players and now Freesat / Freeview boxes

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by DELUCAS, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    57F6868A-08C0-4889-88EE-A4C7F3A352D3.png Are Android Boxes going to be one Streaming Box that does all ?

As now High end boxes are out pinching 4K Blu ray / Dvd players clients as such
    And the next bout will be pinching Freesat / Freeview clients etc
    For those that use external tv boxes .

The Manufacture’s are now making more Android boards with tv tuners built in and with the right stable software / support etc
    another set top box will be removed from you AV collection of Equipment

The likes of Dune HD 4K SKY Plus Streaming box coming soon .....
    Looks like a good example of this .

( Will need to see a review of this new box )

So whats next for these Chinese etc Android Box makers to include
    Were getting ?

Whats your thoughts .
    Has your Blu ray player been boxed away yet ?
    And soon tv tuner box .

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    This is a very good idea for a thread.

Short answer from me is no, my Blu-ray players are still very much alive as the main source in my systems.

However, streaming is catching up fast, and I think the Blu-ray players will see less use over time. I have two systems with the following sources between them:

Blu-ray player (both)
    Nvidia Shield TV (both)
    Virgin TiVo (both)
    Apple TV 4K
    Zidoo X8

I use Cinema Paradiso to rent Blu-rays by post, and I’d say this makes up 50% of my viewing. Netflix and Amazon is next via the Nvidia Shield, probably 20%. Then my own Blu-ray collection which is backed up to my NAS and played via Nvidia Shield for 2D and the Zidoo for 3D. Very little on Virgin or Apple TV at the moment.

I have had the old Apple TV for ages and not really used it that much, but the new one seems a very good way to get hold of 4K content at reasonable prices, so I expect that to see a lot more use going forward.

I’ll probably get rid of Virgin TiVo at the next contract opportunity because I don’t use it enough, but that will just be replaced with Freeview/iPlayer.

The Blu-ray players are here to stay for the forseeable future, but only because of Cinema Paradiso. I still think that disc is the best quality way to watch both HD and 4K content, but if it is £20 for a UHD disc compared to a few quid on iTunes then I’ll go for the latter. Cinema Paradiso is the best of both worlds as it costs me about £1.50 to rent each disc and I can then buy the ones I will re-watch when they are much cheaper either as physical discs or on iTunes.

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    They seem to be adding loads of features of late
    1 Dolby Vision
    2 HDR
    3 Super Audio playback with the High end Android
    4 Tv Tuner support
    5 Internal Hard drive
    6 Gaming on some
    7 ?

Sooner or later one Av gear is going to be used less in the future for some .
    And no brainer the 4k Blu ray discs can be bought for circa £20.00
    As for Apple 4k streaming Movies you dont actually own it as such .

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    The one-box solution is certainly getting closer, but I guess there will always be exceptions. I just bought the Zidoo box as it is the only way I can get 3D apart from disc, but it is only going to be tiny percentage of people who care about that any more. I doubt any of the big players will bother with that.

Amazon finally being offered on the Apple TV as of yesterday was quite a big step forward.

If I had to predict which one box I'd centralise more to over the next year, it would be the Apple TV. I need to work out if Infuse will do what I need it to in terms of streaming HD Audio, but if it does, the Apple TV can take over those duties from the Shield, and have the advantage of the cheap 4K films to rent or buy.

Point taken about not really owning content on Apple, but if I can 'buy' a 4K film for £1.99 there compared to £20 on disc, then I am happy with that trade-off. I don't think I would buy films for £15 each on there though. That said, I very rarely buy any format for that amount of money now anyway.

I have very little use for broadcast TV myself, but it is very interesting how this is converging as well.

5. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Was it not the other way around?. Blueray players started having network and internet access ,so they put browsers and then netflix into them. My older Sony 3D aware player has a browser in it, but which is sooo sloooow, I have forgotten what I wanted when it finally loads. In deed my 2012 vintage LG tv has both a browser , a streamer for selected outlets eg netflix and an outlet to usb recorder built in. Those android streamers were basically cut down bluray players missing a physical drive. My earlier panasonic recorder had a tuner as well as a physical dvd drive.
    What is evident is that physical copies of recorded video either blu ray or dvd , owned and held by the consumer is on the way out. I see that as disadvantageous., The companies supplying us consumers want to know what we are watching and we are complicit... We are losing freedom and privacy for questionable amounts of choice and laziness. .. How much of a swing in public opinion or manipulation would it take to have people, who watch Benny Hill episodes, or the " Carry on " films , ineligible for jury duty?

6. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    Bluray nor DVD will ever die out. It's fine saying this if you have access to super fast broadband, but there are still quite a lot of us who can't stream reliably. Netflix HD works reasonably well on my 2mb adsl connection, but it does have it's moments when it's just a blocky mess.

As for all in one solutions...meh. I prefer to have a tool for each job, rather then have 1 tool for multiple jobs.

I even still switch on my own lights!

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur..

7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Blu ray / dvd will eventually die out ......
    Look at VHS tapes millions in Charity shops and they refuse them now as no one wants them .
    Agree one box for each device
    But im due a freesat box upgrade soon and can go 4k resolution with that box if ......
    And it also can stream movies to or store your collection of blu ray etc
    And has a freesat input connection hence you dont need fast adsl connection for watching tv etc .

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Dune have had boxes with TV tuners in them (or via USB dongle) for a while now. However they were not Freeview so only had access to a now/next EPG with no red button etc. additional streams. Plus Virgin Media (Cable) in the UK can only be accessed with their own equipment.
    So unless this gets sorted I don't see the TV tuner side of these boxes replacing dedicated PVR's or the TV's own tuner.

Mark.

9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    So this spec / Tuners sheet wont work over here then ?

Dune HD Sky 4K Plus (Amlogic S905D SoC, DVB-S/S2/T/T2/C tuner with CI+ slot, 2GB RAM) MSRP: 209.9 USD

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    DVB-T(2) & DVB-S(2) tuners will work in the UK for accessing the free to air channels but will not get the full Freeview or Freesat features such as their EPG. But the DVB-C tuner would not get you connected to the Virgin cable network as they state no 3rd party equipment is allowed to be connected.

Mark.

11. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Well thats good news then so poss use Kodi to use EPG ?
    And recording function or Plex ?

Or the box makers software Apk ?

So you could do away with a external tv box then .

12. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Freesat doesn't come with an EPG, although you can set tvheadend/myth/whatever to automatically populate it from tv listing sites. With Freeview the full EPG just appears. This is what it looked like 5 minutes ago on tvheadend via kodi.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    I'm old school. I'll never retire my standalone Sony Blu-ray Player. I like everything about it including the front display, but most of it is probably because of nostalgia for the first time I got a DVD player back in the 2000s.
    I also like to have a full Freeview HD PVR, although I hardly ever watch anything on TV these days.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Not according to this: Freesat - Wikipedia
    So any licensed receivers do have the official Freesat EPG.
    And from this site: What is the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide)?
    So as with Freesat you only get the official Freeview EPG on approved equipment.

So as I said in my first post in this thread a media streamer from the likes of Dune will not have access to the provided EPG unless it is licensed/approved by the relevant service providers. This would also be the case for accessing red button etc. features.

Mark.

15. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yes I'm aware of that, but we're talking at cross-purposes here. I was discussing accessing Freesat with an DVBS tuner, which is why I quoted your post stating that situation. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

The EPG one gets with a DVBT tuner for Freeview is identical as that provided by an approved device. There's no setup required, it's just arrives as it does on a TV. I'm looking at as I write this post - it's exactly the same as the one on the TV. (Look at the picture I posted - how is it different? Aside from the rather tasteless colours of that skin.)

What the backend software can give is easier search and control of timers than the average Freeview box.

Again, that is incorrect for the Freeview EPG. And coding for the red button is trivial as it's just a link to a separate channel.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  16. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    One of the reasons why vhs is defunct is that its quality cannot compare with either any broadcast tv, dvd or Blu-ray. The vhs recorders likewise will fail in time and the entire episode will be a footnote in history. When you see inside a vhs plater, they are complicated pieces of machinery. And the rubber bands etc will , if they have not already done so perish.
    Freesat and Freeview boxes were always only transitional products. A method of providing those signals to existing tvs, while the industry ramped up production of integrated products.

17. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Errm, that site you linked to details the Freeview system in New Zealand!

In the UK the EPG data is freely available to any device capable of receiving the DVB-T signals - my Topfield 5800 isn't an "approved" device and has the full EPG, red button etc. Same with my old PCI TV card.

DVB-T2 devices however are a bit different, the EPG data for the HD channels is encrypted and only licensed devices have the necessary keys required to decrypt the data.

TTFN - Pete.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  18. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    That's true, but in practice it doesn't matter if you're using tvheadend or other backend software. The software has a lookup table which decodes it. (It's not a fancy encryption system, it's just a system for lossless data compression.)

Also been told I was wrong saying you don't get an EPG accessing Freesat with a DVBS tuner. Apparently it works if you set a weekly update.

19. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    If that's true, and the software isn't just using the EPG data from the associated SD channel, then it might be worth my looking at MythTV again... :)

TTFN - Pete.

20. plum23

plum23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yes it's true - if you look at pic above, the grey box at 6pm-ish BBC1 is where the local news would be if it was just replicating the sd feed. Tvheadend solved the issue 5 years ago, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't solved on Myth given how advanced it is compared to Tvh.

21. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'd completely missed it.

I might try throwing together a test system over the next week or so, though I only have a DVB-T card lying around right now.

TTFN - Pete.