1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The size question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vixpy, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the monent my Seleco 400plus is throwing out a 6.5ft crisp image onto an owl screen. now, being a 90's lad and therefore never satisfied. my question is what is the max that would be possible. bearing in mind the room is 15*24 ft and so going on room size 11ft would be possible! i think this maybe a little excessive but whats the biggest anybody has seen and how good did it look?

Thanx

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is 120inches and is very impressive :D

I expect Gordon and Chris's will probably be bigger.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Jenz has a slight advantage over you with his bright Barco 8" unit. 120" wide is a huge size for even this and there'd be a much better picture if it was smaller. If it's 120" diagonal then that's more realistic.

We've got a customer with a 108" wide screen and a Seleco500. I am continually amazed at how good this looks as in theory it should be dim and pretty crappy. It isn't. I wouldn't do ti again though as I know it'd be much better smaller. His probably works as we made the room VERY dark.

I'd stick with no bigger than 7.5ft wide if I were you. Unless you change to a different projector. I saw the HT200 on a 14ft wide perforated screen at the launch in Bradford and it was pretty good!

Gordon

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry it is 120inches Diagonal :eek:

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    rule of thumb
    7" crt max about 8ft wide
    8" EMF (808s)about 10ft max
    9" EMF (1209s) about 12ft max

I've seen 9" projectors on 15ft wide screens look stunning (perhaps a little dim) but our eyes adjust to the light level.

The most important thing is to reduce the ambient light to black. and reduce the light bouncing around the room from light coloured surfaces (walls,ceiling)

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Is there anything you can do without darkening the walls/ceiling. I just can't handle my living room in anything other than whites/creams/beiges.

Are there screens that reflect light differently or can you put plates down the side of the projector (like blinkers :) ).
    Surely there must be something!

Regards
    Alex

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It doesn't have to be black.
    Just not Magnolia & white.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Some things you can do.

Build a sort of box section around the front of the screen. ie Build a section of wall out from the screen and line it with black felt to absorb light being reflected out to the walls and ceiling.

So if you build a media wall with a screen in the middle tray and line the area surrounding the screen with some light absorbing material.

If the projector is floor mounted paint the ceiling a flat matt colour. If you use a higher GAIN screen it will reflect light much more directionaly. This means less reflected light bouncing around but narrower viewing angle and more likelyhood of colour shift or hot spotting.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon