1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Silmarillion

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Taken from Dark Horizons:

Caltanet Cinema talked with John Howe who spoke about chances of an adaptation of this J.R.R. Tolkien story - an epic even Peter Jackson would not take on. Howe says: "The rights of 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' were sold by Tolkien himself, so it was his own decision. The rights of 'The Silmarillion', instead, belong to his son Christopher...he won't sell the rights to anyone whatever sum offered. The Silmarillion is very strictly linked with his father's life and will never be made into a film while he's still alive".

Just in case anyone was wondering.

2. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's good news to me because I think the Silmarillion just wouldn't convert very well to the big screen. Some of it is very complex and not that easy to follow. I've read that book a few times and whenever I've read it I find myself having to re-read certain bits because it is easy to lose track with what's happening.

3. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its not really a story. More of a history. Lacks the dramatic tension necessary for making a film.

:lesson: