The Silence of the Lambs 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I got the iTunes version some time ago in 4K when it was on a special deal. Can’t see any colour space issues. My TV only does HDR10 but looks good on that. The Dolby Vision on my iPad Pro M1 looks just as good. I use DTS Neural:X on my Pioneer LX901which is full and immersive. (via an Apple TV 4K)

FWIW This gives more technical details about the film

I'll never get why when some people point out a 100% provable issue with a disc, no matter how 'small' or 'unnoticeable' that they are pounced on for moaning or being too picky etc?
At £20+ per disc, should we be just ok with disc issues and put up with problems that should have been picked up by a decent QC team before release?
It seems to be happenning more and more on UHDs I'm sad to say and I'm wondering if this is partly to do with people not making more of a fuss when issues do arise?
I for one thank the 'nit-pickers' and 'pixel-peepers' for trying to keep the companies on their toes and releasing as near to perfect discs as they can.
Why should we be paying a premium for a release which has a proven issue, especially when the company ignores said issue when it is brought to their attention?

Would be a day one buy for me IF IT HAD ATMOS
It really isn't the sort of film that would benefit from a full Atmos remix.
Plus, the DTS-HD track is superb.

Last edited:
We can no longer order anything from Amazon.de, Amazon.jp, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it etc. Most other businesses won’t deal with Australia now either due to the tax, so we have very limited online retailer options these days, therefore, beggars can't always be choosers, or we go without... You should pray that your Government doesn't follow the same path, causing international retailers to lock you out too.
It has, and they do. Which is why the likes of JB HiFi no longer sell to UK customers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'll never get why when some people point out a 100% provable issue with a disc, no matter how 'small' or 'unnoticeable' that they are pounced on for moaning or being too picky etc?
At £20+ per disc, should we be just ok with disc issues and put up with problems that should have been picked up by a decent QC team before release?
It seems to be happenning more and more on UHDs I'm sad to say and I'm wondering if this is partly to do with people not making more of a fuss when issues do arise?
I for one thank the 'nit-pickers' and 'pixel-peepers' for trying to keep the companies on their toes and releasing as near to perfect discs as they can.
Why should we be paying a premium for a release which has a proven issue, especially when the company ignores said issue when it is brought to their attention?

I think it unfortunately more a case of people reading online that there's an issue and then jumping on a bandwagon to thrown shit at the people who made it possible to get that content on disc.

Yes, the film should be perfect, but I'd be surprised if most of those at the front of the shit cart had or would have noticed it if they'd not been told about the HDR issue online?

How bad is it? Well, I've read numerous in depth reviews that make direct comparisons to the HD Blu-ray where the issue isn't even mentioned.

Again, you'd expect the video to be perfect in such cirumstances, and yes, KL should have spotted this during quality control, but making it harder for them to operate as an independent isn't going to benefit any home theatre enthusiasts in the long term. Some comments posted elsewhere on other boards are rather derogatory about KL and their business. This isn't helpful.

If you dislike the release, simply send it back and get a refund. I'm pretty damn sure KIno Lorber haven't purposefully authored this disc with this problem?

Like it or lump it, you'll be sooner as opposed to later dependant upon the like of Kino Lorber, Arrow, Criterion etc for all the content you get on disc. They'll be the only source for such content. Maybe not such a good idea to rampage up and down the street with pitchforks demanding that they be burnt out of business.

Last edited:
@Casimir Harlow - don't forget Something Wild from 1986. That was a brilliant movie.

Another great review. Looking forward to checking it out - I don't think I've seen it since the good ol' DVD days.
I was just about to say this.

Demme knocked it out the park with Something Wild, Silence of the Lambs and then Philadelphia from 86 to 93. Granted, Something Wild isn't well known but those who know, know. Still a marvellous watch today especially the Criterion Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Somethild Wild

Thanks for giving me a heads up on that one. I'd no idea that there was a Criterion release of this film up until now. It has been well over 25 years since I last saw this (probably on VHS) and remember it favourably.

I'm now anxious that it wont live up to my previoudly formulated expectations when I now watch it again.

Thanks.

For the unaffiliated, it's like True Romance, but for Kids :)

Last edited:
Maybe not such a good idea to rampage up and down the street with pitchforks demanding that they be burnt out of business.
If thats what people are doing then more fool them, but it would have been nice to get a reply from Kino that was a bit better than 'we don't see any issues, deal with it'
I am not lighting any torches or grabbing any pitchforks, but i do feel if a label releases a disc with an error then they should sort that error

Thanks for giving me a heads up on that one. I'd no idea that there was a Criterion release of this film up until now. It has been well over 25 years since I last saw this (probably on VHS) and remember it favourably.

I'm now anxious that it wont live up to my previoudly formulated expectations when I now watch it again.

Thanks.

For the unaffiliated, it's like True Romance, but for Kids :)
You're very welcome! It definitely holds up - enjoy!

I watched it twice in two nights, once on my own, the next night with other half. She is younger than me and doesn't like a lot of 80s films but still liked it a lot.

It has, and they do. Which is why the likes of JB HiFi no longer sell to UK customers.

Being a Blu-ray collector and from Australia, I was aware before you mentioned it that JB HiFi no longer sell to UK customers (people from the UK have complained about it on this site, and in the Australian subforum on Blu-ray.com, so it's not hard to miss), however, I thought the way the tax was implemented in the UK was a bit different to have it works here in Australia, therefore, so far, you haven't been affected as hard as we have, and still have some international online retailers available to you that we don't?

No idea as to why retailers outside the EU would be discouraged from trading with anyone in the UK? The rules regarding the way they trade are exactly as they were prior to brexit.

You can also find more info on the taxes and duties you may be expected to pay if goods are porchased from retailers outside of the UK here:

AS said, these rules have always been in place and are not new.

You'd ordinarilly pay any tax or duty owing to the courier who delivers the goods to your doorstep and they then send it to HMRC. It is basically what gave rise to the increase in courier scams that have been doing the rounds over the past 18 months. Scammers have been texting people suggesting they owe money to get goods they'd ordered delivered. The fact is that a courier would on most instances ask for a payment on your doorstep and wont be texting you for it.

Last edited:
No idea as to why retailers outside the EU would be discouraged from trading with anyone in the UK? The rules regarding the way they trade are exactly as they were prior to brexit.

You can also find more info on the taxes and duties you may be expected to pay if goods are porchased from retailers outside of the UK here:

AS said, these rules have always been in place and are not new.

You'd ordinarilly pay any tax or duty owing to the courier who delivers the goods to your doorstep andf they themn send it to HMRC. It is basically what gave rise to the increase in courier scams that have been doing the rounds over the past 18 months. Scammers have been randamly texting people suggesting they owe money to get goods they'd ordered delivered. The fact is that a courier would ask for a payment on your doorstep and wont be texting you for it.
Companies shipping goods regularly to the UK now have to collect the VAT at source rather than it being collected via courier now.
As this involves a fair bit of extra work and admin for companies shipping to the UK, lots now choose just to not send here rather than make the system changes needed to collect the VAT at source.

So No, the rules of what you pay haven't changed, but how its collected HAS changed :thumbsdow

MOD COMMENT Second time telling read the thread title and get back on topic
There wont be a third.:lesson:

I'd love a copy but not enough to warrant paying ridiculous shipping fees or a scummy scalper off of Ebay.

Nearly five months on I would have hoped the price of SOTL 4K might have dropped by now. But looking at Amazon yesterday it’s still over £30.

In contrast Tenet 4K which was £25+ on release is now down to £10.64. What justifies one title being three times the price of another?

Nearly five months on I would have hoped the price of SOTL 4K might have dropped by now. But looking at Amazon yesterday it’s still over £30.

In contrast Tenet 4K which was £25+ on release is now down to £10.64. What justifies one title being three times the price of another?

Silence Of The Lambs is an import while Tenet isn't. KIno Lorber don't retail their discs in the UK. If you order SOTL from Amazon then you are buying it from the USA and Amazon ship it from the USA.

Silence Of The Lambs is an import while Tenet isn't. KIno Lorber don't retail their discs in the UK.
That would explain things, thanks. They lost a sale yesterday and I can’t imagine I’m alone in not buying it despite loving the film.

That would explain things, thanks. They lost a sale yesterday and I can’t imagine I’m alone in not buying it despite loving the film.

THe Amazon price is comparable to what you'd be paying from other retailers that deal with imports from the USA such as WOWHD.

@dante01 , I wasn’t calling out Amazon. I just thought the price was ridiculous and my limit these days is £25 max, preferably less. Seems they’re cutting off their nose to spite their face. Only the truly dedicated will pay that price.

WOWHD had it listed at £23.50. I ordered it then selected my country. £4.74 VAT was added making it £28.44. No thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom