The Silence of the Lambs 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've read at least three reviews for this release now that go into some depth regarding video quality and cannot say that any of them have commented on the first 20 minutes being any worse than the rest of the film:

The conclusions they've formed appear to be that the video is very good. THey don't appear to be picking ip on the issue that appears to be aggravating some people.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It's not uncommon for distributors in the U.S. to shrink wrap their titles, they don't always use proper cellophane with the folds at the top and the bottom (for instance, like cigarette packaging), like practically all UK and Australian releases (Australia is where I reside). Amazon often reseal returned items with shrink wrapping, and resell them... It's not hard to do, I have the means to be able to do it, all you need is a roll of shrink wrapping, a heat gun, and an impulse sealer:View attachment 1596243

Remember to swob the disc for saliva and other bodilly fluids :lesson:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I've always like SOTL about the same as Manhunter. With Hannibal beating both. Not trolling... just my honest opinion!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Check the forum thread for it over there.... if you dare! :D

Proper horror show!

It must be terrible, a whole thread packed with people who've formulated an opinion similar to that which some appear to expect everyone here to have arrived at :eek:

As I've said, several reviews make no mention of this issue and rate the video quality as being very good.

I cannot say it impacted on my viewing experience or enjoyment of the film.

Last edited:

Cevolution

The disc case and not the slip case is wrapped. If a returned item that somone has played then the case will obviously be unwrapped and will be missing the clear plastic wrapping.

Maybe not a good idea to call anyone anything before you actually have reason to or evidence of what you are accussing them of?
It's not uncommon for distributors in the U.S. to shrink wrap their titles, they don't always use proper cellophane with the folds at the top and the bottom (for instance, like cigarette packaging), like practically all UK and Australian releases (Australia is where I reside). Amazon often reseal returned items with shrink wrapping, and resell them... It's not hard to do, I have the means to be able to do it, all you need is a roll of shrink wrapping, a heat gun, and an impulse sealer:View attachment 1596243
dante01 said:
"Remember to swob the disc for saliva and other bodilly fluids :lesson:"

I have a large collection of over 3000 1080p Blu-ray's, and more the 600 4K UHD Blu-ray's, I have had plenty of first hand experience with Amazon, and them providing me with resealed second hand titles that should've been brand new. Although, if you would like some fresh proof, then take a look at this, this Australian customer received another customers resealed return of the 4K Classics Columbia Collection vol. 2, from Amazon.UK a few days ago, which was missing the 4K discs that the first customer obviously stole... Amazon.uk clearly never checked it, and just resealed it and resold it as brand new:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've never had anything resealed and sent out to me by Amazon. They'd be breaking UK law if doing as you suggest here in the UK.

No idea as to what Australian consumer laws are, but I'd check them and make a complaint to the appropriate bodies if you think Amazon AUS are infringing upon your rights and trying to palm you off with goods different to how they were advertised and sold to you.

Sitting there and continuing to buy goods off them without doing anything else isn't going to stop them if what you say they are doing is indeed what they are doing!

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I should mention that the Kino Lorber titles available via Amazon are sourced in the USA and shipped from the USA per order. Amazon don't keep stocks of these discs in every country they operate in. They are shipping them on a per order basis. If unwrapped or returned then they were sent from the USA as such.

Last edited:

Noahdavid1984

I managed to get a copy of this (amongst others) while out here in the us working. Picked it up in a Best Buy and with the slip.

Cevolution

I've never had anything resealed and sent out to me by Amazon. They'd be breaking UK law if doing as you suggest here in the UK.

No idea as to what Australian consumer laws are, but I'd check them and make a complaint to the appropriate bodies if you think Amazon AUS are infringing upon your rights and trying to palm you off with goods different to how they were advertised and sold to you.

Sitting their and continueing to buy goods off them without doing anything else isn't going to stop them if what you say they are doing is indeed what they are doing!

I can’t recall an instances where I have received a resealed item from Amazon.uk, that’s not to say I haven’t thought, I might have just forgotten... Even if I have though, it has happened so seldom from Amazon.uk, that’s not something worth being overly concerned about. However, as you could see in the link I provided, Amazon.uk are in the practice of resealing customer returns and reselling them, so whether you have personally experienced it or not is really relevant, because it does happen. Amazon.us on the other hand though, that’s a different story (the U.S. is where Kino's Silence of the Lambs 4K Blu-ray is from), it happens regularly enough from them. How often do you order from Amazon.us/how many U.S. Blu-ray and 4K titles are in your collection?

Who said Australian customers accept it? If I have clearly received a resealed customer return, then I always complain about it. “Continuing to buy goods off of them…” - You’re not very clued in to what has occurred in Australia in recent years are you? New tax legislation was implemented by our government for international purchases several years ago. International businesses now have to collect a goods and services tax from Australian consumers, and then provide the revenue from this to the Australian Taxation Office. If they don’t comply, the package doesn’t pass customs… The majority of international online stores that sell Blu-ray’s/4K Blu-ray’s made the decision to stop selling to Australian customers altogether, rather than collect and pay the tax. Amazon.us, and Amazon.uk through that Amazon.au global store, are now the only Amazon branches that we have access to… We can no longer order anything from Amazon.de, Amazon.jp, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it etc. Most other businesses won’t deal with Australia now either due to the tax, so we have very limited online retailer options these days, therefore, beggars can't always be choosers, or we go without... You should pray that your Government doesn't follow the same path, causing international retailers to lock you out too.

Last edited:

gadget man

I like reading the forums on blu-ray.com makes me laugh, they get so psyched up on a new release.

Then its issues: crap cover,no slip cover, wrong colour timing,HDR too bright,too dull,macro blocking,chroma noise (This is a favourite). No original Mono Sound you could go on and on.

Makes me wonder why anybody buys 4K lets all go back to the laser discs days.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can’t recall an instances where I have received a resealed item from Amazon.uk, that’s not to say I haven’t thought, I might have just forgotten... Even if I have though, it has happened so seldom from Amazon.uk, that’s not something worth being overly concerned about. However, as you could see in the link I provided, Amazon.uk are in the practice of resealing customer returns and reselling them, so whether you have personally experienced it or not is really relevant, because it does happen. Amazon.us on the other hand though, that’s a different story (the U.S. is where Kino's Silence of the Lambs 4K Blu-ray is from), it happens regularly enough from them. How often do you order from Amazon.us/how many U.S. Blu-ray and 4K titles are in your collection?

Who said Australian customers accept it? If I have clearly received a resealed customer return, then I always complain about it. “Continuing to buy goods off of them…” - You’re not very clued in to what has occurred in Australia in recent years are you? New tax legislation was implemented by our government for international purchases several years ago. International businesses now have to collect a goods and services tax from Australian consumers, and then provide the revenue from this to the Australian Taxation Office. If they don’t comply, the package doesn’t pass customs… The majority of international online stores that sell Blu-ray’s/4K Blu-ray’s made the decision to stop selling to Australian customers altogether, rather than collect and pay the tax. Amazon.us, and Amazon.uk through that Amazon.au global store, are now the only Amazon branches that we have access to… We can no longer order anything from Amazon.de, Amazon.jp, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it etc. Most other businesses won’t deal with Australia now either due to the tax, so we have very limited online retailer options these days, therefore, beggars can't always be choosers, or we go without... You should pray that your Government doesn't follow the same path, causing international retailers to lock you out too.

No it is relevant, because if I had experienced this then I would have complained to both Amazon and reported it to trading standards.

Moaning about it and then still shopping with Amazon isn't going to stop them doing it again.

If selling you goods that are used and then advertising them as new then they'd be breaking the law in most of the countries they operate in.

I'm pretty sure I own as many US discs as you and buy as many if not more than most. Not sure why you are different to anyone else?

Maybe Amazon just don't like you or the shrink wrapped goods you keep sending back to them? :)

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I like reading the forums on blu-ray.com makes me laugh, they get so psyched up on a new release.

Then its issues: crap cover,no slip cover, wrong colour timing,HDR too bright,too dull,macro blocking,chroma noise (This is a favourite). No original Mono Sound you could go on and on.

VHS was great :thumbsup:

Cevolution

No it is re;evany, because if I has then I would have complained to both Amazon and reported it to trading standards.

Moaning about it and then still shopping with Amazon isn't going to stop them doing it again.

If selling you goods that are used and then advertising them as new then they'd be breaking the law in most of the countroesxthey operate in.

I'm pretty sure I own as many US discs as you and buy as many if not more tham most. Not sure why you are different to anyone else?

Maybe Amaazon just don't like you or the shrink wrapped goods you keep sending back to them? :)

You're talking for everybody else, as though they haven't had it happen to them, and I'm to odd one out. I don't know how you got the impression that I'm the only one? So far out of the 2 of us, I have provided an example where it has also happened to someone else, just this week. You also seem to have ignored my point about no longer having a lot of international options to order from, due to the GST, therefore, if we are burnt by Amazon, what do you suggest?

Who's moaning? I simply made a harmless comment about the possibility of receiving a customer return of Kino's 4K Silence of the Lambs, since there are people that are returning theirs because of the colour space and audio track issues, and my order shipped out weeks before Amazon.us said it would.

Australian consumer law strongly protects us within our own country (which is very good legislation, better than a lot of other countries... For instance, what a manufacturer specfies as their warranty period is generally meaningless here in Australia, usually we get quite a number of more years coverage under our law, it's more so based on what's considered a reasonable amount of time for a product to last... Which often means we get closer to double or more years warranty than what the manufacturer gives). Complaining to our "trading standards", which are the ACCC, and the Department of Fair Trading, can't always enforce our countries rules on international businesses that work within different rules and laws in their country.

Plus, you need to be able to prove it, even though there are clearly signs that it is indeed a resealed item that has been resold, and you know that it is, proving it beyond reasonable doubt often isn't easy, and obviously the retailer is going to dispute and deny it... If U.S. distributors often sell Blu-ray and 4K titles in shrink wrapping, rather than cellophane, which they do, then it makes it much harder to present a case that the retailer has actually resealled it and sold it again, and has done any wrong doing.

What do think online retailers actually do with stock that is returned by customers? Do you think they send them back to the distributor/manufacturer, or dispose of them? That only happens if the item was reported damaged or defective, and the retailer found this upon inspection. Amazon would receive at sh*t load of customer returned stock... Do you think that they examine it all thoroughly, and then either sell it as used or send a lot of it to landfill? That's incredible naive if you do.

"You're pretty sure you order just as much as me" - Saying that without actually mentioned the size of you collection, linking to a list of it, or posting a photo of it. "Maybe Amazon just don't like me" - What a ridiculous statement that is, I spend approximately au$10000 or more just on Blu-ray's with them every year, I would be a valued customer... If I wasn't, like they have been known to do with some other customers that complain, and return items too much, they would've banned my account long ago.

Reason for editing: Corrected a spelling error.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You're talking for everybody else, as though they haven't had it happen to them, and I'm to odd one out. I don't know how you got the impression that I'm the only one? So far out of the 2 of us, I have provided an example where it has also happened to someone else, just this week.

Who's moaning? I simply made a harmless comment about the possibility of receiving a customer return of Kino's 4K Silence of the Lambs, since there are people that are returning theirs because of the colour space and audio track issues, and my order shipped out weeks before Amazon.us said it would.

Australian consumer law strongly protects us within our own country (which is very good legislation, better than a lot of other countries... For instance, what a manufacturer specfies as their warranty period is generally meaningless here in Australia, usually we get quite a number of more years coverage under our law, it's more so based on what's considered a reasonable amount of time for a product to last... Which often means we get closer to double or more years warranty than what the manufacturer gives). Complaining to our "trading standards", which are the ACCC, and the Department of Fair Trading, can't always enforce our countries rules on international businesses that work within different rules and laws in their country.

Plus, you need to be able to prove it, even though there are clearly signs that it is indeed a resealed item that has been resold, and you know it that it is, proving it beyond reasonable doubt often isn't easy, and obviously the retailer is going to dispute and deny it... If U.S. distributors often sell Blu-ray and 4K titles in shrink wrapping, rather than cellophane, which they do, then it makes it much harder to present a case that the retailer has actually resealled it and sold it again, and has done any wrong doing.

What do think online retailers actually do with stock that is returned by customers? Do you think they send them back to the distributor/manufacturer, or dispose of them? That only happens if the item was reported damaged or defective, and the retailer found this upon inspection. Amazon would receive at sh*t load of customer returned stock... Do you think that they examine it all thoroughly, and then either sell it as used or send a lot of it to landfill? That's incredible naive if you do.

"You're pretty sure you order just as much as me" - Saying that without actually mentioned the sizing of you collection, linking to a list of it, or posting a photo of it. "Maybe Amazon just don't like me" - What a ridiculous statement that is, I spend approximately au$10000 or more just on Blu-ray's with them every year, I'm valued customer... If I wasn't, like they have been known to do with some other customers that complain, and return items too much, they would've banned my account long ago.

AGAIN. Stop moaning about it and go do something about it.

No one here can do anything about it.

You have to go complain to both Amazon and the authorities in your country.

The same goes for anyone else effected. AS said, I've never encountered this, but if I did then I'd complain about it to the appropriate bodies.

You're the one still using Amazon despite obviously being aggrieved with their service.

and by the way, who said that everyone has received used goods via Amazon? This is what you now appear to be suggesting. Yeah, Amazon have entire warehouses full of used goods with armies of employees rewrapping them. How on earth have you arrived at the conclusion that what you suggest is the case with most of Amazon's customers. Have tou contacted all of Amazon's cutomers to ask them?

Last edited:

Cevolution

AGAIN. Stop moaning about it and go do something about it.

No one here can do anything about it.

You have to go complain to both Amazon and the authorities in your country.

The same goes for anyone else effected. AS said, I've never encountered this, but if I did then I'd complain about it to the appropriate bodies.

You're the one still using Amazon despite obviously being aggrieved with their service.

and by the way, who said that everyone has received used goods via Amazon? This is what you now appear to be suggesting. Yeah, Amazon have entire warehouses full of used goods with armies of employees rewrapping them. Jow on earth have you arrived at the conclusion that what you suggest is the case with most of Amazon's customers. Have tou contacted all of Amazon's cutomers to ask them?

"And by the way, who said that everyone has received used goods via Amazon? This is what you now appear to be suggesting..."

You're comprehension skills really aren't very good, I've had half a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 tonight, and I'm still sharper than you 🤣😜... Quote exactly where I said "everyone", or said anything that implied it?

I'm not going to address the rest of your post, because I've already covered it... I don't know whether you are purposely disregarding my answers, or it's just going in one ear and out the other.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

You say that but there's a couple there that argue for laser discs and say they are better than 4K discs.. I kid you not. We only have a couple of freaks here at present but I won't name names...

granty

Well, to bring this back on topic thanks for the review Cas. Picked this up last week and was interested on your take on it. However, I'm sure before the mob jumped on it to point out the so called issues from bluray.com that you had given it a 10.......or did I imagine it in my sleepy state this morning?

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the disc(s) are spot on.

Garrett

Mod Comment get back on topic thread is about

The Silence of the Lambs 4K​

La Finta Nonna

Excellent review Cas and thanks to the moderator for getting us back on topic it’s like being stuck on some rambling AV version of Last of the Summer Wine. I am a big fan of this film and as strong as the whole cast is I love the cat and mouse games between Lector and Starling

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett