The Shining

jimmypsychotic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
with the new shining documentary in the cinemas right now I was wondering if anyone has heard if warner will be rereleasing it with the documentary included?.
Thanks jim.

Hi Guys,
with the new shining documentary in the cinemas right now I was wondering if anyone has heard if warner will be rereleasing it with the documentary included?.
Thanks jim.

No announcement for a home video release has been made yet but as Room 237 got a cinema release, it's more likely to get released by itself, rather than as an extra with The Shining.

I would love a Digibook release at the same time Todd :smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Run time: 143 minutes. I wonder if that's accurate.

Hopefully this will be the supposed remaster that toured fairly recently.

Run time: 143 minutes. I wonder if that's accurate.

Hopefully this will be the supposed remaster that toured fairly recently.

Did the European cut get a remaster?

AFAIK the US version was restored. Mind you, it shouldn't be too tricky to extrapolate the euro edit from the long version.

Warners do have a nasty habit of recycling encodes, so I wouldn't put much on this being different from the current US disc if the runtime is indeed correctly listed.

It's a simple re-release with a UV copy, Warners are going gaga for UV at the moment. Nice cover art though.

Not for me. The Euro cut is much better.

Not for me. The Euro cut is much better.

I'd agree. I've got the other one on laserdisc and whilst it's interesting seeing more shining I prefer the tighter european cut.

I'd agree. I've got the other one on laserdisc and whilst it's interesting seeing more shining I prefer the tighter european cut.

Despite my endless endorsements of the longer cut in the past, I have grown to prefer the sharper shorter version. Fickle so I am.

I don't feel the inclusion of the extra footage is especially damaging, mind.

wish they would make this a digibook, put all versions of the shining in one set and include the documentary ..that would be a great package... is that too much to ask for this gem of a movie?

Robert S said:
Despite my endless endorsements of the longer cut in the past, I have grown to prefer the sharper shorter version. Fickle so I am.

I used to prefer the longer version too - but just felt it was a bit flabby and a bit too sign posted especially the stuff re Danny and his father. Oh to have both in the same package - shame there aren't more packages like the close encounters one for that.

I prefer the longer version, perhaps because it's the version I grew up with. It was the version shown on TV before they changed the rules, and I had an off-air VHS recording of it. I was not amused when my brand new UK DVD (April 2003) turned out to have bits missing. I now own the USA DVD (retained for AR) and BD, of course, but I also have the UK BD version, unwatched, in the Kubrick set.

Good man. I've always preferred the Euro cut because it sustains the tension more effectively; Shining is a film about a whole lot o' nothing going on, and the US cut is so long the spooky atmosphere starts to deflate, and a cheesy shot of a few cobwebbed skeletons in the ballroom isn't enough of a payoff to warrant the extra flab that preceded it.

I prefer the longer version, perhaps because it's the version I grew up with. It was the version shown on TV before they changed the rules, and I had an off-air VHS recording of it. I was not amused when my brand new UK DVD (April 2003) turned out to have bits missing. I now own the USA DVD (retained for AR) and BD, of course, but I also have the UK BD version, unwatched, in the Kubrick set.

Interesting. I prefer the US cut because its the one I didnt grow up with! Im so used to the UK cut that the US cut always seems special.

Same here, i always had the euro cut, and i just loved the longer us cut...
I scour youtube and watch all the conspiracy videos about the shining, some of them are really ott, some very interesting, also there are a few about the set designs by Kubrick and the use of space to confuse the audience etc, very interesting..

Extended cut is my preferred version but I think they should put both versions on the release to satisfy both parties.

I think the euro cut was the prefer choice of Kubrick,after the longer cut came out on dvd HCC did an interview with him,and they ask him if the UK was going to see the longer cut,and he reply you already have my prefer cut the longer cut was a studio release :)

Possibly my favourite change from the longer cut is the edit from Danny's first vision to the 'closing day' title card and subsequent drive to the hotel. By dropping the conventional and nonessential paediatrician scene, Kubrick creates a haunting transition that allows the bloody premonition to linger in a quite brilliant and disturbing way, whereas the impact is curiously muted by cutting to banal and talky exposition. I find it interesting that Kubrick's next film, Full Metal Jacket, is edited in a crisp fashion synonymous with the shorter Shining, and the longer version conforms closely to the elongated rhythm of the appropriately epic Barry Lyndon.

Perhaps SK rediscovered the power of economy during the process of trimming The Shining for a second (technically third) time.

I also like the change of focus from the family unit to Jack's own experience; we are strangely with him as the film progresses, and that's both more entertaining and pretty scary (in a darkly comic way).

Last edited:
Possibly my favourite change from the longer cut is the edit from Danny's first vision to the 'closing day' title card and subsequent drive to the hotel. By dropping the conventional and nonessential paediatrician scene, Kubrick creates a haunting transition that allows the bloody premonition to linger in a quite brilliant and disturbing way, whereas the impact is curiously muted by cutting to banal and talky exposition. I find it interesting that Kubrick's next film, Full Metal Jacket, is edited in a crisp fashion synonymous with the shorter Shining, and the longer version conforms closely to the elongated rhythm of the appropriately epic Barry Lyndon.

Perhaps SK rediscovered the power of economy during the process of trimming The Shining for a second (technically third) time.

I also like the change of focus from the family unit to Jack's own experience; we are strangely with him as the film progresses, and that's both more entertaining and pretty scary (in a darkly comic way).

I agree with you on the cut in The Shining of the expository scene with the doctor, but unlike the longer version of The Shining, I think Barry Lyndon is perfectly paced. They are all different films of different genres with different requirements when it comes to editing and pacing, so I'm not so sure there was some sort of creative evolution taking place. And after Full Metal Jacket Kubrick made the languorous Eyes Wide Shut.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom