The Shed

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd document our shed build - though I'm starting at a strange spot, most definitely not the beginning, but a little side project that has turned out quite well, so I thought I'd share that first, and later posts will document other stuff.

We put a wood burning stove in the shed, and, while it is in no way building reg compliant, I have made it as safe as I feel it needs.

To this end, I thought I'd better have some sort of heat shield behind the stove and following the run of the chimney (the chimney is just single wall, not insulated).

So here are a few pictures showing our little project.

We took two 1m x 0.6m sheets of galvanised steel, and rivetted them together - also attaching two 'hidden fixings' near the top.

And this is where our project gets a little interesting. I had been googling steel patinas, and came across several YouTube videos on how to add patinas to steel. I was going to 'quick rust' the sheets, but then came across some copper plating videos, which then led on to adding a simple copper patina to steel.

Here we go....

IMG_5080.jpg

These are the sheets after we have partly (mostly) removed the galvanising. We did this by pouring hydrochloric acid over the sheets, agitating, and leaving for around half an hour. I also used an angle grinder with a 'flappy sanding disc' attached to distress the metal further.

The hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) used was Bostik concrete cleaner - which is hydrochloric acid diluted to 10% strength. It could do with being stronger, as this took quite some time to eat it's way through the galvanised surface - but this being the UK, we aren't trusted with the strong stuff available more readily in the States!

Once cleaned up, it was time to add the copper.

IMG_5083.jpg

The solution here is Copper Sulphate. Where do you buy Copper Sulphate I hear you ask? Why, any farm suppliers should carry it (in crystal form) as it's used in dips to treat the feet of sheep and cattle. Now, they did ask my wife what she wanted it for, as it's obvious that she isn't a farmer, but she simply replied that her husband asked her to pick it up - which was perfectly true. I don't think it's a dangerous chemical per se, but it is really bad for plants and aquatic life - which is why we were doing this on a bit of garden we don't really use, other than for bonfires and the like.

IMG_5086.jpg

You can start to see the copper making more of an appearance now....

IMG_5088.jpg

Then we moved it into the shed to dry off for the evening.

This morning, I was single-handed, so no photos. But I coated the shield with two coats of high temperature clear lacquer. Once it was touch dry, I hung it in place.....

Heat Shield 1.jpg

Heat Shield 2.jpg

Heat Shield 3.jpg

With the hidden fixings mounted to a couple of blocks before screwing to the wall, the sheet sits about 15mm or so away from the wall itself, so there's a nice air gap, producing a current of air flowing up the back of the shield.

I think it turned out pretty well! :smashin:

Last edited:
The build of the shed itself.

We used to have a smaller shed here - an old summerhouse that was already here when we moved in 10 years ago. It was starting to rot away. We got someone round to take a look at fixing it, and he said it would be cheaper to build from new. He then asked how long we intended staying in the property, and on learning that they'll hopefully be carrying us out of here in boxes (hopefully no time soon), his advice was to 'not buy crap like this then' - indicating the cheap and cheerful rotting summerhouse (it was standard cheap garden centre fare).

So, we scoured the web, and plumped for a 'Tuin' shed, the 'Laula'. 4m x 4m, and built from 45mm thick 'logs'.

We got our friendly garden helper to build the base. I was going to do this myself, but my back gave up again, so got a younger fitter guy to do the job.

On with the show...

IMG_4462.jpg

^^^ First logs going down. A DPM and plastic foundation logs help prevent rotting of the first layer.

IMG_4463.jpg

^^^ My lad bringing in more supplies.

IMG_4468.JPG

^^^ Unloading

IMG_4469.jpg
IMG_4470.jpg
IMG_4471.jpg

^^^ Going up

IMG_4474.jpg
IMG_4482.jpg
IMG_4503.jpg

^^^ Roof beams in

IMG_4514.jpg

^^^ Roof starting to go on, with some smug looking chap seemingly proud of his handiwork!

IMG_4518.jpg
IMG_4545.jpg

^^^ Roof just about finished...

IMG_4590.jpg

^^^ Supplies - insulation for both floor and roof

IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4601.jpg

^^^Floor sealed, waiting for self levelling compound to be poured...
IMG_4608.jpg

^^^ Let the hard work commence
IMG_4611.jpg

^^^ One level floor. Turned out well, but my back didn't thank me for the next few days!

IMG_4624.jpg

^^^ The entire shed, inside and out, got two coats of this stuff (actually 3 tins, but I'd already thrown one empty away)
IMG_4625.jpg

^^^Then on to the colours. Sprayed using a Wagner airless sprayer.
IMG_4626.jpg

^^^ Two coats, and eventually we start to look half decent...

IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg

^^^ Before we paint inside, we need a floor, so 50mm of PIR insulation
IMG_4640.jpg

^^^ and 22mm chipboard floated on top. I did put some strengthening battens at the door threshold and where the stove was going to go.

IMG_4678.jpg

^^^ and then we can paint the inside
IMG_4708.jpg

^^^ contrasting colours for doors, windows and trim (talk about making extra work for yourself)!

IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4846.jpg

^^^Even the beams got the contrasting treatment!

IMG_4759.jpg

^^^ This was a mini project. I had never cast concrete before. For this mix I used vermiculite as the aggregate. It's light and it's fireproof. I also put some chicken wire in the mould to add strength.

IMG_4760.jpg

^^^ Measure once, cut twice - or something like that?!

IMG_4762.jpg

^^^ The roofboards are 18mm thick and the insulation is 50mm thick. Can you see where I'm going with this?

IMG_4763.jpg

^^^ Fits pretty well

IMG_4765.jpg

^^^ View from below. The hole is correctly angled at 15 degrees too.

IMG_4766.jpg

^^^ Insulation going on the roof

IMG_4769.jpg

^^^ High temperature silicone chimney seal

IMG_4774.jpg

^^^ All sealed in with bitumen

IMG_4849.jpg

^^^ Building a plinth for the stove. A couple of pieces of slate, and some 6x2's cut to size and joined together (stained the same colour as the roof beams).
IMG_4852.jpg

^^^ Happy with that.

IMG_4855.jpg

^^^'Mariner' stove from GR8fires going in...

IMG_4858.jpg

^^^ I put high temperature sealant around each joint (I didn't realise it would set as hard as a rock - on my to do list now is to spend half a day sanding it back with Dremel and re-painting it)! :facepalm:

IMG_4862.jpg

^^^ First light (we now have a cap on the chimney)

IMG_4872.jpg

^^^ We have fire! Some innate primeval satisfaction from creating fire!

IMG_4888.jpg

^^^ Laminate flooring (Costco) down. In hindsight, I should have laid this first, and then place the stove hearth on top - it would have been much easier! Oh well!

IMG_4891.jpg

^^^ Log storage under the stove.

IMG_5063.jpg

^^^ And this is almost up to date (with the exception of the heat shield in the first post).

Still to come. The bar build - my lad is going to do that, but currently sitting his A-level Maths & Physics.

And then getting power to the shed. Probably a few months away yet, but it's on the cards.

Not entirely sure I’d call that a shed!
Lovely build though. Looks great.
Enjoyed looking at your construction but how can you call that a shed...summerhouse yes and has some real good space to relax or would be good to wine and dine in if you added a mini kitchen....

Not entirely sure I’d call that a shed!
Lovely build though. Looks great.

Enjoyed looking at your construction but how can you call that a shed...summerhouse yes and has some real good space to relax or would be good to wine and dine in if you added a mini kitchen....

Yeh, I know. But we're deliberately calling it 'the Shed', as the previous owners had a 'summerhouse' which really was just a shed with a double door. That, and I used to fly an aircraft affectionately known as 'the Shed' - aaand, the way I put this together (I made a few errors which I haven't documented here yet) means 'the Shed' is our name for it - even if it looks a little grander than a real 'shed'.

We are really really pleased with it though - it has exceeded expectations, particularly with the stove in there, we often have a cuppa and cake in there watching the birds just outside, it's very peaceful. We've had a few meals there too - curry night, fish & chips etc. In the future there may well be a pizza oven just outside, possibly an offset smoker/BBQ too.

Here's my old 'shed'....

Gill Shed (2).jpg

Yeh, I know. But we're deliberately calling it 'the Shed', as the previous owners had a 'summerhouse' which really was just a shed with a double door. That, and I used to fly an aircraft affectionately known as 'the Shed' - aaand, the way I put this together (I made a few errors which I haven't documented here yet) means 'the Shed' is our name for it - even if it looks a little grander than a real 'shed'.

We are really really pleased with it though - it has exceeded expectations, particularly with the stove in there, we often have a cuppa and cake in there watching the birds just outside, it's very peaceful. We've had a few meals there too - curry night, fish & chips etc. In the future there may well be a pizza oven just outside, possibly an offset smoker/BBQ too.

Here's my old 'shed'....

View attachment 1383488
Hubby has loads of model planes in our 'shed' we have erected a summerhouse here in France and the red tape we went through to build it was strange....funny strange like only France could get away with...it is full of worktops which are useful for planes and selfbuilds and a boat that has decided to stop in the middle of any lake for sure now. Garden chairs cushions fishing gear even the chicken foods in plastic boxes...all kinds of cleaning, preventive gear, oils and grease, you name its in there...summerhouse was built, it is more than a 'shed' though. Hubby is just recently thinking with his huge areas and he has loads, are getting like storage places and going to have to thin out...take these chairs he made out of pallets for a bored/a bit of a laugh moment......then just stored...along with a really decent bird table...spare as he made a few around the garden!Today we cut up load and loads of empty boxes ready for the decheterie recycle yard Monday

Attachments

• thumbnail_PICT0027.jpg
    thumbnail_PICT0027.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 193
Hubby has loads of model planes in our 'shed' we have erected a summerhouse here in France and the red tape we went through to build it was strange....funny strange like only France could get away with...it is full of worktops which are useful for planes and selfbuilds and a boat that has decided to stop in the middle of any lake for sure now. Garden chairs cushions fishing gear even the chicken foods in plastic boxes...all kinds of cleaning, preventive gear, oils and grease, you name its in there...summerhouse was built, it is more than a 'shed' though. Hubby is just recently thinking with his huge areas and he has loads, are getting like storage places and going to have to thin out...take these chairs he made out of pallets for a bored/a bit of a laugh moment......then just stored...along with a really decent bird table...spare as he made a few around the garden!Today we cut up load and loads of empty boxes ready for the decheterie recycle yard Monday

Love that chair - that’s a man-cave in it‘s own right!

Fantastic, I don’t know what I like best, the style of the shed, the fire, the furniture or the garden. It must be lovely to sit in it.

I can imagine you are mightily pleased.

Been doing something similar myself over the last 8 weeks (just finished doing the plasterboard today).
Can’t believe how much of my time on. Fri,Sat & Sun it has taken (literally the last 8 weekends from base to plastering tomorrow) with lots of evenings as well.

I did need some help from a joiner, and electrician and plasterer. It will be a home office and evening weekend garden room

I don’t have many pictures but attach a few to give an idea

Hope you enjoy the shed and it looks a great job

Attachments

• 71522C19-BCE5-4792-AF9B-8B443E481C59.jpeg
    71522C19-BCE5-4792-AF9B-8B443E481C59.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 7E71438C-FBA5-43B4-843D-9BE4DC3CAA22.jpeg
    7E71438C-FBA5-43B4-843D-9BE4DC3CAA22.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 59649A0F-728A-4D34-B96A-1BD24201107A.jpeg
    59649A0F-728A-4D34-B96A-1BD24201107A.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic, I don’t know what I like best, the style of the shed, the fire, the furniture or the garden. It must be lovely to sit in it.

I can imagine you are mightily pleased.

Been doing something similar myself over the last 8 weeks (just finished doing the plasterboard today).
Can’t believe how much of my time on. Fri,Sat & Sun it has taken (literally the last 8 weekends from base to plastering tomorrow) with lots of evenings as well.

I did need some help from a joiner, and electrician and plasterer. It will be a home office and evening weekend garden room

I don’t have many pictures but attach a few to give an idea

Hope you enjoy the shed and it looks a great job

That looks very nice. What are you doing to heat it? Love our wood stove, but they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.

That looks very nice. What are you doing to heat it? Love our wood stove, but they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.

Thanks, going to use electric underwood heating mat. Insulation is 125mm PIR (100 in between joists and then overplayed with 25mm).

I guess no way of being 100% certain if it will be enough but, for very cold days could always plug in an old oil radiator

I did think of a little we lock stove but, needed the convenience of the room being warm first thing in a mornimg.

Thanks, going to use electric underwood heating mat. Insulation is 125mm PIR (100 in between joists and then overplayed with 25mm).

I guess no way of being 100% certain if it will be enough but, for very cold days could always plug in an old oil radiator

I did think of a little we lock stove but, needed the convenience of the room being warm first thing in a mornimg.

That‘s a lot of insulation - about the same as we put in our actual extension. I’d say the underfloor heating will do just fine, it’s not going to take a lot to warm that up.

We’ve only got 50mm PIR in the floor and in the roof of the shed, and that’s plenty with the stove going - we often have to open the window or one of the doors as it‘s easy to let it get too warm!

It does take half an hour though to get the stove going and get some warmth in the room, so you’re right to have a different heat source if you need it to be warm from the get go.

Guess its something you should not do but he did with various size gas bottles.. Gerrybuilt made several stoves that worked well. So having purchased a welding kit.....he was eager to try making things.......a messy, real messy job unless you have a deicated area for it.
Have one stored in the barn, dusty but never been set up for use....the door looked like a work of art...thats were the logs went in and hole in top for the flue.. Did have photos which I cannot track down but I can take a picture of the one here. Made for workshop type enviourments.

this is a photo off the internet that is really very simular......
download.jpg

.there are of course instruction sites which are useful.

Love seeing other peoples work. It is a really great achievement when you finally get to sit down in there and put your feet up.

This was mine a few years ago before we moved. Tv had already been taken down. Really miss this place..

Enjoy yours looks like it will be a great place for the winter.

IMG_8606.JPG

Great build, looks fantastic.

I've been watching loads of interior design programmes and something that has become very popular with summer house builds, even in our climate, is an outside bath. :D

Not something I'd consider but your build reminded me of a few I'd seen.

outside bath - Google Search

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom