The Shape of Water 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Another great review Cas, thoroughly enjoyed this film, :smashin:

EDIT: Thanks simon another great review. :)

Last edited:
the film was nominated for and has won many accolades not least Best Picture Oscar; and it is easy to see why, such is the love and devotion given to this piece of cinematic glory
Don't want to quibble about movie scores but just an 8 for something which got a Best Picture Oscar seems odd especially as say Jumanji got a 9 8 (whilst it's fun, it's not in the same league).

Last edited:
Don't want to quibble about movie scores but just an 8 for something which got a Best Picture Oscar seems odd especially as say Jumanji got a 9 (whilst it's fun, it's not in the same league).

I actually gave Jumanji an 8. Besides, different films and different reviewers, as Coulson noted above. And Oscars don’t actually mean anything do they?

i thought both Jumanji and Water's Shape were mediocre... The former has The Rock and the later was a middling Disney movie with some mild nudity and a bit of blood... Shot well, but that's about it.

Both work well for their target audience, but there were so many better films last year...

But thanks for the review, if we all liked the same movies there would be little point of discussing them...

Don't want to quibble about movie scores but just an 8 for something which got a Best Picture Oscar seems odd especially as say Jumanji got a 9 8 (whilst it's fun, it's not in the same league).

As if Oscar awards are a valid measurement of quality.

Perhaps; instead of having an arbitrary score for 'Movie' there should be one score for 'Artistic Merit' and another for 'Entertainment Value'?

Perhaps; instead of having an arbitrary score for 'Movie' there should be one score for 'Artistic Merit' and another for 'Entertainment Value'?
But can we put a number on art? Isn't that what all the text and writing is for? The Qualitative assessment....

But can we put a number on art? Isn't that what all the text and writing is for? The Qualitative assessment....

I thought we already were by giving the movie a score?

It just seems that separating out two disparate elements i.e. 'Art' and 'Entertainment' gives a more accurate reflection of the nature of the film.

I love Marvel movies; but I don't regard them as 'Art'.

I love David Lynch movies; but I don't regard them as 'Entertainment'

And no doubt there are some films that would probably score low on both fronts...

Last edited:
loved the style of it but half way through the movie went sideways, 4k cant fix that

Thanks for the review Simon. Looking forward to seeing this, but will rent rather than purchase first

I remember the fuss over Fargo and watching it and thinking when will something happen.
Then the same happened with Lost in Translation.

Films getting awards mean nothing.

I liked Titanic and Rocky though. Haha

I remember the fuss over Fargo and watching it and thinking when will something happen.
Then the same happened with Lost in Translation.

Films getting awards mean nothing.

I liked Titanic and Rocky though. Haha
Lost in Translation is a wonderfull film... Rocky is the best of what you mentioned, classic movie!

Lost in Translation is a wonderfull film... Rocky is the best of what you mentioned, classic movie!
I just didn't get it. The point of it. Had no connection with the characters. One of the number of films I can count on fingers of one hand that I actually nearly switched off due to boredom. It actually made me angry it was that bad.
Like I love O Brother Where Art Thou. But my mate Paul just doesn't get it all.

I think this thread is once again demonstrating that everyone's opinion of a film differs. That's why I tend to read the reviews of the reviewer/critic whose opinion most closely matches my own.

Trouble is I haven't found that elusive scribe yet :(

Last edited:
I think this thread is once again demonstrating that everyone's opinion of a film differs. That's why I tend to read the reviews of the reviewer/critic who's opinion most closely matches my own.

I have an idea!
As this Forum allows for User reviews, then with the judicious use of time travel you could go forward in time, see the Movie, go backwards in time, write a review, return to the present, & then read your own review & decide if you want to see it or not.
Now, where did I park that strange looking Delorean I bought at that weird Car Sale last year?
:D

I think this thread is once again demonstrating that everyone's opinion of a film differs. That's why I tend to read the reviews of the reviewer/critic whose opinion most closely matches my own.

Or find a scribe who has the opposite views. Mark Kermode gets it about 1 in 10 right for me, so generally if he hates something I know I'm more or less going to like it.:D

Also genre can be a factor. I find certain critics reliable for some types of films but no others.

I bought this on Blu-ray because I hadn't seen it and heard all the hype at Oscars, and I love the directors previous work and didn't want to wait for Sky Movies to show it.

I quite liked the movie, enjoyable, interesting, different, certainly not normal tame cut-the-scene-as-sex-starts type Hollywood fare. Great old fashioned laborious-to-do dolly camera work with lots of slow zooms/ pans, none of this new shaky-cam hand held rubbish - loved the cinematography. Only think I didn't like was the very quick and abrupt ending - nowhere near as satisfying as the ending to Pans Labyrinth.

Also I didn't see the need to pay an extra €10 on top of my €20 to buy the 2K/HDR version of this movie.

Recommended if you have an IQ at least 100+

It's the great tragedy in film's taste around the world; we only agree with people who don't disagree with us. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom