The Shadow Line (BBC Two)

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
BBC - BBC Two Programmes - The Shadow Line (N.B. May contain slight spoiler reveals for content of ep 1 and ep 2)
BBC iPlayer - The Shadow Line: Episode 1 Parental Warning: Opening sequence contains a graphic scene. Not for young children

Surprised I could not find a thread in a forum search? Christopher Eccleston (28 Days Later, Elizabeth) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (American Gangster) starring

Caught the Sunday repeat tonight. Engrossing and interesting adult thriller. Am eagerly anticipating episode 2. Might be the best thing I have seen from BBC drama... well since Sherlock (2010)! The plot on first viewing is patient and measured about what it does, but contains little surprises (or traps?) along the way that throw you off.

As an aside, seems to have a "look" to it with whites blown up a bit in the colour palette. Might be me, I have been awake 17 hrs-ish, probably need to sleep

I mentioned this in a Dr Who thread as it has Christopher Eccleston in it. It looks like it could be good and I recorded the original transmission but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I'm hoping it'll be very good.

Bri

I thought I would give it a go, as there are some terrible home grown cop dramas on TV right now. I was not disappointed, it set up the plot lines and characters nicely without any heavy handed labouring. Good strong acting from the lead roles as well as the support.

Not much in the way of plot advancement in ep2 but still engrossing. Slightly humorous edge as well

Not much in the way of plot advancement in ep2 but still engrossing. Slightly humorous edge as well

I haven't watched this one yet but it's nice to hear that there's some humour in it. I felt really sour after the first episode.

Bri

Enjoyed the two episodes. The last few mintues had a bit of excitement on an otherwise quite slow pace. Interesting to see where this all leads, hope it's not an anti climax. Not watched the initial trailer I was hoping more for an government conspiracy plot than a gangland setting.

I was hoping more for an government conspiracy plot than a gangland setting.
well, Stephen Rea is doing a good Alec Guinness impression :)
also Rafe Spall is channeling David Walliams quite well :laugh:

Watched the first episode last night.
As others have said, it set the series up nicely - have now got really high hopes for this!

Going to try and watch the 2nd episode tonight!

He reminds me of a manic version of his Pete character from Pete Vs Life.

It was amusing watching him trying to run in those tight pants. He was definitely menacing those seams. ;)

It's similar in pacing terms to The Wire or Boardwalk Empire imo. Considered dialogue, plot and character development then BANG, fast sharp action (sometimes graphic ;)). I don't mind that as the Tony Montana approach does not always suit being repeatedly used everytime in a TV series vs a standalone film
Not watched the initial trailer I was hoping more for an government conspiracy plot than a gangland setting.
Don't we get enough of that with the likes of Spooks and 24?

Just caught up with this. First episode a little slow and a bit too comic book but the second episode better (
shades of The Bourne Ultimatum?
). Looking forward to see how it develops.

Watched the second episode last night!
Now totally hooked by this, and cannot wait to see how this moves forward!
All performances are excellent, but Rafe Spall stands out!!

All performances are excellent, but Rafe Spall stands out!!
Did not know who you was talking about so did a google. Looked at the pictures and still no closer. Had to go on wikipedia... "ohhhh, that one". Wiki page gives many credits but only seen Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead which I did not realise was him :p

Rafe Spall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still unconvinced by the character, should I be scared or sceptical of the portrayal? Needs time for me maybe

Did not know who you was talking about so did a google. Looked at the pictures and still no closer. Had to go on wikipedia... "ohhhh, that one". Wiki page gives many credits but only seen Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead which I did not realise was him :p

Rafe Spall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still unconvinced by the character, should I be scared or sceptical of the portrayal? Needs time for me maybe

Steven you should watch him in Pete Vs Life. It's a brilliant comedy.

Bri

Steven said:

I think the great thing about the character is that you never know what he is going to do next. And personally I think so far he is playing it superbly - the scene where he was talking to the pregnant girlfriend was superb - sinister and intimidating, but not in a typical thuggish way!!!

Good 4th episode, the Gatehouse man was on form with the woman & child, and later he struck again this time with
the reporter on the country lane

Last edited:
raigraphixs said:
Good 4th episode, the Gatehouse man was on form with the woman & child, and later he struck again this time with * SPOILER *...

Gatehouse is rapidly growing into the best character in this!!

Episode five - absolutely amazing TV. Utterly gripping. Top stuff.

I thought ep 3+4 were tilted towards plot fillers but fully agreed ep 5 was right back bang on form. Gripping stuff and ranks as highly as the first episode. Pressure cooker building towards the finale

It gets better and better. Gatehouse is starting to resemble George Smiley's evil twin.

5 episodes in and we find out that Gatehouse really does have a first name :), also in the 5th episode we get an actor of Antony Sher's quality entering into the plot. It is still looking good for a dramatic/devastating finish.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom