The set that will not sleep

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Zaichik, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I took delivery of the replacement for a faulty Panasonic TX28DTX10 IDTV today and, in addition to having the same problems as the old one, the new one has a new "feature": when you turn it off, a red and green circle, about an inch in diameter remains illuminated in the middle of the screen. It stays there even if you unplug the set.

What is causing this? Is it connected with the fact that, sometimes, when you turn the set on, it takes some time to work out what channel it's on and sometimes shows the wrong channel for a second or two?

(I'm really cheesed off because, after seeing that the new set has the same issue as the old, I would have kept the old one if the delivery guys hadn't chucked it roughly in the box and damaged it. Now I've got a set that is worse than the one I already had. :mad: )

2. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Just as an addendum, when I switched the set on this morning, the screen was totally blank until I tried to change channel. When I did this, the wrong channel appeared (News 24 instead of Channel 4) for a few seconds and was tinged red and green, then the tuner corrected itself and normal viewing was restored. I've also noticed that there are two dots which are permanently illuminated at the bottom of the screen - about six inches apart. This is one sick TV!

3. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately time to send it back.
    If it does not live up to the standard then its back to the retailer.
    Don't stand for second rate products.
    techSi

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Well, my 4th TV was delivered this morning. No scratches on the screen (like the third set). Good. Excellent geometry. Cool.

And then I turned it off. Ggggggggggaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggghh! No-oooooooooooooooo! A bloody red circle in the middle of the screen! :mad:

What's particularly annoying is that the delivery blokes wouldn't put my old TV back on the stand and take this one away as a rejected set. If they'd done that, the shop would have just delivered a new one. As it is, I have to have yet another engineer visit before an exchange will be authorised. :mad:

How can I be this unlucky?!! :(

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That effect is afterglow

On normal CRT that effect can be caused by the spot supression circuit not working correctly. Get the thing changed and insist on it.

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    That might not be so easy now. Yesterday, the afterglow was very visible. However, while we were watching TV tonight, there was a loud pop and a sparking effect and the TV went into standby. Ever since then, the afterglow circle has been much dimmer; in fact you can only really see it in the dark, or if you cup your hand over the area of the screen. I'm willing to bet that when the engineer comes round on Thursday, he'll say he can't see it.

Bah! Murphy's law strikes again! :mad:

7. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I think I'm going lose the battle over my TV tomorrow. Since the set sparked and flashed on Sunday night, the red afterglow blob and ghostly white patch when you turn the TV off (caused by poor power suppression) are now only really visible when it's dark in the room. I just know the engineer's going to come in in daylight (the blinds in our living room are hopeless at keeping out the light) and say he can't see it. I've tried capturing it on my (old) HI-8 video camera when the lights are out, but the picture's too poor quality and it won't come out. The missus (understandably) won't help me move the set to a room which can be darkened (not that any other room in our house is much better anyway).

You can just about see the glow if you put a kitchen roll tube against the screen and look down it when the light is on (the tube shields against some of the light), but I can imagine the reaction I'm going to get when I suggest he tries that.

I'm feeling totally defeated! If only the delivery gits had taken the thing away when the fault was really obvious.

Anyone got any ideas?

8. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Why is the red spot so annoying - particularly now it can only be seen in a very dark room? You say its there even when its unplugged - it couldnt be a reflection could it? You have had four sets with it - have you found anyone else reporting this or similar problem?

With that pop and spark the TV may well be on the way out anyway. Why dont you register your complaint with the supplier (loud pop and red spot), tell them you are not happy and agree with them that you will test the TV for a week and get back to them. At the end of the week you may have changed your mind or it may be completely broken. If you know you are never going to be happy, bite the bullet and go for money back/exchange now.

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the engineer say's there is nothing wrong with say to him the shop will have no problems in taking it back then! Don't settle for 2nd best-you know you will NEVER be happy with it! Reject the set,if they ask why say because the bloody thing made a loud poping noise which doesn't really inspire confidence!!! I would get onto Panasonic and explain all of what has happened to them too!! good luck.......

10. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    No, only two of the four sets have had this problem - the others had different issues. It definitely isn't a reflection. The glow only appears when you use the remote to put the TV in standby, but if you then unplug the set, it doesn't fade for some minutes. When the TV arrived, the glow was clearly visible in normal light. Now, since the pop and spark, you can't see it when light is shining on the screen, but it is quite distinct when the room is dark (as is a ghostly white patch near to it). I'm not happy because the TV is faulty and I didn't pay full price for a faulty TV! I know you can never expect perfection, but this is a blatant fault and therefore unacceptable.

11. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Well, the engineer's been. Sadly it wasn't the same engineer who saw set no. 2 with the same fault (but much worse) and immediately authorised an exchange, so that was another hurdle that I had to get over.

I was able to get him to see the problem but he said that it wasn't really a fault so much as a characteristic of the tube. He also said that the sparking that scared us to death on Sunday night was also not uncommon with new sets.

He noted everything that I said and is going to ask his manager to decide whether or not the set should be exchanged. I'm not hopeful, though. :(

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That sounds like a loud of ********!! The manager can say what he likes,reject the set and request they pick it up and go elsewhere ;)

13. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I didn't expect it, but they have agreed an exchange. We play the game again! :suicide:

14. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good news and good luck.