The Series link is --

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
Rubbish sorry lol just had to get that off my chest.

Agreed:suicide::rotfl:

Rubbish sorry lol just had to get that off my chest.
Well I nearly missed the 2nd of a 2 part 24 because of it, I missed the 2nd in a 2 part Bones the other week so yeah I agree.

You'd think after all this time they'd be able to come up with something better, wouldn't you? A series 1 TiVo season pass, once entered never forgotten, never mind forgotten if said show was missing from the schedule for a couple of weeks, and that's what, 10 years old nearly?

Cannot say I've ever had a problem wit it.
I know it can throw confusion with double episodes as it won't list the second episode until the first one has finished.

But I've never missed anything using Series Link.
Also it does remember old programs when they come back.
I know that I only found out about the current new series of Road Wars because it suddenly started appearing in my schedule again.

Well I nearly missed the 2nd of a 2 part 24 because of it, I missed the 2nd in a 2 part Bones the other week so yeah I agree.

Same thing happened to me, for Lost, 24 and Fringe I recorded the second ep of the season finale double bills manually just in case.

Series link are channel dependent so it is Sky to blame for the double episode botches.

Were these via the new EPG? I suspect this has a glitch given the number of reports for Lost and Fringe.

Set them as two separate recordings for House next Sunday. That usually works.

But the series links elsewhere have been unreliable, too. Sci Fi HD seems unwilling to find the next new episode and wants to record all the repeats.

That seems strange as my skyHD box recorded both 24 eps last night and both Bones eps the other week. These were on sky1HD though, maybe thats different. Also with double eps some people don' t realise the second ep will not appear in the planner until the first ep has started recording.

cheers, count

You'd think after all this time they'd be able to come up with something better, wouldn't you? A series 1 TiVo season pass, once entered never forgotten, never mind forgotten if said show was missing from the schedule for a couple of weeks, and that's what, 10 years old nearly?

They could but it would cost a hell of a lot more money and probably infringe TIVO patents and SKY would have to either give the service free to third party channels or risk them using the system even less than they do with the series link functions.

SKY aside no one else has come close to what TIVO offered be they on Dsat, DTT or Cable.

They could but it would cost a hell of a lot more money and probably infringe TIVO patents and SKY would have to either give the service free to third party channels or risk them using the system even less than they do with the series link functions.

Freeview+/Freesat+ boxes seem to have no problems doing it - Sky already license several Tivo patents (pausing live TV for example). I imagine Sky have a patent or two of their own too so they can cross-license.

The reason it is the way it is is probably historical at this point - too many old Sky boxes with no storage and limited memory around to change it. I'd hoped the new EPG would improve things, but they stuck with the old method.

Last edited:
... and probably infringe TIVO patents

Not really likely, if they're software based. You can get away with writing NEW code that does the same thing as existing copyrighted code, as long as you don't copy the actual code. Take for instance the WINE Linux-based software which performs most of the same functions as the Microsoft windows API, enabling you to run Windows programs under Linux as though you had Windows installed. Same function, different code.

Sky has always been poor at picking up double episodes with series link.

It doesn't help that even when it works the second ep is not added until the first starts so you have to wait on faith that it will update.

Whenever I spot them I always add them manually for the second episode just in case. A good indicator is if you manually add the second episode and it doesn't have a series link option it means it probably has not been included and won't get recorded. It is I belive down to each channel provider to get this right so it is only Sky's fault directly on their own channels like Sky1 etc as each channel provider supplys their channels epg data I think.

Of course it always seems to be double episode series openers or finshers where it goes wrong meaning you miss the final episode. They really should get this right all the time, it's not as if the schedule comes as a surprise.

Almost always has problems with double episodes in series and does not record the second. Happened this season of '24', which reminded me to always manually select the second one.

It also lost the final two episodes of 'Heroes' on BBC HD.

StooMonster

Prior to getting Sky+ HD I was using BT Vision which would pick up series recordings without any problems.
I would set a series recording and just forget it, then when another series started it would automatically pick it up.

When I got SKY I very nearly missed the first episode of the third series of Heroes as my SKY box didn't remember that it had previously been recording the second series :(

SKY aside no one else has come close to what TIVO offered be they on Dsat, DTT or Cable.

It's true, it probably would cost a lot, but how much money have Sky made over the years, right from when Sky+ first appeared on the scene, from all the £10 fees they charged for it, when all they had to do for the money was send a signal to the box to activate it?

I'd pay big money for a Sky HD box with the latest version of the TiVo software, but sadly that's never likely to happen :(

Sky has always been poor at picking up double episodes with series link.

It doesn't help that even when it works the second ep is not added until the first starts so you have to wait on faith that it will update.

This is how all series links work, the next episode to be recorded is added as soon as the first one starts recording, whether its on straight after or in a weeks time. It just seems that people panic about double episodes because they expect both episodes to be in the planner to be recorded, so when they don't see it, they manually add it.

Personally I have never had any problem with double episodes, I always just leave the series link to pick the next episode up.

This is how all series links work, the next episode to be recorded is added as soon as the first one starts recording, whether its on straight after or in a weeks time. It just seems that people panic about double episodes because they expect both episodes to be in the planner to be recorded, so when they don't see it, they manually add it.

Well I didn't now that and I thought I was in danger of missing the second part of a double header last week until i manually added it.

Another way in which the Series Link is inferior to the old Tivo equivalent is that with Tivo you could organize the programmes that you want linked into a league table so that tivo always knew which you preferred bin the event of a clash.

Last week I had two programmes down to record on one particular day at the same time and as they clashed with a third one of them was bumped off. Sky in it's infinite wisdom decided that having watched every episode of ER for 15 years that I didn't really want to see the last one so bumped it off in favour of something else.

There wasn't a clash when I progammed the link but one of the programmes must have changed it's time. With the Tivo system it would have seen that ER was highly rated whilst the other two were rated much less so would have bumped off one of them

Yep, you would have thought they might have sorted something out about clashes by now. If you manually add a recording and it clashes with two others you get a warning, if however, you've got 2 recordings planned with a series link and then another series link occurs at the same time, it'll happily leave all three in the planner with no warning at all and if you don't notice it, at best you lose one, if not more of the recordings :(

That´s rubbish. I have switched to Windows Media Center on DTT now after 5+ years using a Tivo. It is very close to a Tivo and in some areas even surpasses it. Switching from Tivo to SKY EPG was painful, whereas even the wife is happy with WMC and no longer complains about having to use a guide "that looks like it was designed by amateurs".

There is no excuse for SKY delivering such a poorly featured and designed EPG except they know they can get away it. They are relying on people not being aware of how it could be done and so are happy enough to use rubbish.

Last edited:
I had no problems with the new epg series link picking up the final double episodes of lost, 24 and fringe :confused:

Are some of you reporting that the 2nd episode wasn't flagged at a time before the 1st episode began?

If so, if you had just left it, then it would have added the 2nd episode to the planner once the 1st episode had started.

Worked perfectly for me in all cases. :smashin:

Not true Loz.

I've had probs on my Sammy HD box with most double bills recording using series link.

Basically, the box says that both episodes have been recorded and then when you come to watch the 2nd one, it just doesn't play.

I think the problem is that everyone is getting different issues. Always worked well with my SKY + Amstrad box though.

:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom