1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The search has ended!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Orbital, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Well my search for some new speakers ended today with me picking up some of these I bought them ex-demo for a rather lovely price :D and they are all immaculate without any knocks or dings at all (and according to the dealer only just run in).

I've not had a great deal of time to listen to them yet and have only got round to connecting the front three but they sound even better than they did at the dealers and they sounded bloody good there :) The centre speaker is an absolute gem. It has variable high frequency settings, boundary compensation and midrange presence controls on it's rear to enable even the most badly mixed DVD dialogue to sound good. It even has a little stand that it sits on to enable you to tilt it by about 15 degrees either up or down to get the best position.

I briefly watched one of my favourite DVD's (Band of Brothers episode 2 "Day of Day's") and the crispness of the front soundstage was excellent, gunshots, explosions really making me jump and the dialogue always clear and audible even when experiencing a full on battle scene. It really was very 3 dimensional something that I've always lacked in my other setup. Just got to get those gorgeous looking dipoles up now and really see errrr hear what this little setup can do. To say I'm a happy bunny is the understatement of decade. Atlantic Technology really deserve a :smashin: for these babies.

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Glad you like the Atlantics they are really great sounding range of speakers.Where did you get them from,I was not aware that Atlantics were available over here.As explained in an earlier post I got my 250.1 setup from the states a few yrs back.What sort of money did they cost.American speakers generally (not so much the high end stuff)tend to be overwarm in sound the Atlantics are more neutral a sound but pack a lot of punch and detail.

Mine have been going strong for over 7 yrs now without any hint of trouble.Were your speakers second hand as the 270 system was made from 1998.

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Nice one Dave:smashin:

Sounds like you got yourself a good speaker system there.

Adz

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Never mind Dave - perhaps you can get something decent next time :clown:

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    kbfern,

I bought them from the director of this company. He explained that he is setting up as an authorised dealer in this country and will soon be selling Atlantics whole line up including the pre/power stuff too :)

I spotted these speakers on eBay. Talk about lucky. I'd never seen any Atlantic kit on there before and got in touch with the guy who turned out to be the chap mentioned above above. He explained they were in "as new" condition and had only been used to evaluate there performance for using them in his companys multiroom installations (he was that impressed he then enquired about becoming a dealer). They were manufactured in March last year by the way. He told me if I made a sensible offer he would take them off auction and sell them to me. I was a bit cheeky and said I'd wait to see how the auction went, chancing my arm that nobody over here really knew how good this kit was and the bidding would stay low. Well it was even better than that as I bid £450 (retail between $2-2.5K in the States) and got them all for that!! cool or what!! :D I then went down to Cheltenham on Sunday morning and picked them up. I know it was semi-blind as I only got to hear them after I'd bought them but when you read reviews from respected publications like Perfect Vision, Secrets of Home Cinema and Home Theatre magazine and they all sing the speakers praises you know they must be something pretty special and besides sometimes the best things in life come from taking a chance now and again.

Probably wont have a lot of time to play with them this week though worst luck as I have a pretty busy week at work lined up. But next weekend is going to be fun.

Ian,

When I have them set up correctly you'll have to come round and have a listen. See what you think. They're not up to your ManKy’s (LoL) performance but I honestly don't think they are that far off, plus I now have some £'s left over to get another amp for 7.1. Sometimes things just work out :D

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Orbital

I think that you have had a truly great buy at that price, the sub on its own would have cost that.Allowing for the fact that these speakers would cost around$2k or so in the US and that UK distributors would at least apply the $1= £1 you did really well.

When you have all the speakers up and running put up a review please.

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Keith,

Actually I forgot to mention that's the only difference between my package and the one on the Atlantic website. The sub that came with my set up is the smaller T70 PBM (10" 125 watt amp) and not the 272 PBM (12" 225watt amp) as on the website. This didn't really bother me though as I already own a servo 15 so I’m OK in the LFE department. The sub had never been taken out of the box, I had that privilege last night and it looks a cracking little thing. Very well built and weighs a ton. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do, out of curiosity more than anything as I’ve been so impressed with Atlantic’s main speakers it will be interesting to see how this sub performs.

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Dave

I am looking for a small sub for my consevatory to go with a pioneer vsx510 and mission speakers don't supose you might want to sell the T70? if surplus to your requirements.Where are you located maybe I could come and have a listen please let me know.

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    They were up the week before for £799 so £450 is a bargain. I was going to bid on them but you got there first and I would have gone higher if they'd come with the correct sub.

Interesting that AT have finally got UK distribution, those 2004 ranges look nice.

10. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Keith,

I'll let you know mate. Need to have a look at it myself first :) You'll be top of my list though if I do decide to sell :smashin: I live in Tamworth just north of Birmingham by the way.

Mat,

That 2004 range does look pretty tasty doesn't it.

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Dave

Hope to hear from you regarding possible sale of T70, Tamworth no prob only 45 mins by car.

12. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Orbital

You have pm