1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The screens too big!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Docta teef, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've spotted a Da-lite screen going for a good price but when I've done my maths its too big its got a 100" diag. I've got an H56 (not known for throw distance) which is fixed at 13 ft this will give a maximum of 90" diag. What im thinking is how bad would it be running on an oversized screen. When i come to upgrade my pj odds on it will have a better throw distance. The only other thing is seating distance the closest seats are 10 ft from the screen im presuming that with a scaler and as HD comes in seating distance requirements will decrease a bit

2. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    You could temporarily cover the unwanted area with black velvet to give you the viewing area you want. Just let it lie on the screen surface and fix only at the edge.

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It's not terrible - I've run with an oversized screen since I switched from CRT to DLP. It suffers a loss of perceptual contrast against a black border and if your PJ leaks light around the lens it will really show it up - I made a mask for my old DL450 - but although to paint out the excess is on the list, it isn't a must-do.