The Scott Basement

scottmark

Hi all, I started a build thread early last year, see http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1588367-conclusion-well-better.html, but it all came to a stop after we had a big flood :(

So after months of drying out we finally got it finished and even though it was a lot of hassle an stress its even better than I originally imagined, and its getting very well used.

Anyway the obligatory pictures:

The Screen Wall
P1020156.JPG

The riser and seats, I had to over expose this so you can see anything decent
P1020160.JPG

With the colour changing LEDs lit
P1020272.JPG

And colour changed :)
P1020271.JPG

And finally the "screen shot"
P1020244.JPG

Thanks for looking

A few basics, the room is 4.5m x 6.3m x 2.4m with double doors at the back corner, and a cut-in down the wall next to the doors that has integrated storage and all the kit.

As for kit I've got a JVC X30 projector a 119' diagonal Seymour AV CenterStage XD AT screen with Monitor Audio AV12 speaker package and a Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver.

The walls are all panelled with acoustically transparent material with the first 1/3 of the room having acoustic insulation top to bottom, then just on the bottom half for the rest of the room.

Mark

Last edited:

scottmark

Thanks Signs, and no the floor doesn't dip there is a riser for the back row of seats, have a look at the original thread when we built it, just a few ceiling joists and some chipboard.

P1010192.JPG

Mark

Silverblack

Amazing and i really love the ambient lighting.

noterms

Banned
That is an awesome build such great use of ikea units - makes me want to go to ikea right now! What method did you use to get the fabric onto them? Just stick and staple?

RobinBanks

Nice work.

scottmark

Rodrigues: I've updated the first post with a bit of background including the kit list.

rwttm001: I did a fair amount of research and that the screen size is about right for the distance to the seats, any bigger and it would more than fill field of view.

noterms: The Ikea units are behind a frame we built, then the panels (which are just wooden frames with the material stretched over, are stuck to that with velcro

P1010246.JPG

Last edited:

signs

Banned
Thanks Signs, and no the floor doesn't dip there is a riser for the back row of seats, have a look at the original thread when we built it, just a few ceiling joists and some chipboard.

Mark

:) that's not what I meant sorry , if you look at the first picture it looks like the floor dips , did you put a curve stage affect in ?

It must be a weird camera angle thing :)

stumpy1

love it, love it, love it. Just showed the wife theses pictures whilst i was screaming i want one of those, like a little spoiled brat lol.

Can i ask though where are the front speakers hidden?

scottmark

Stumpy, thanks, and yes the front speakers are behind the screen, it's an acoustically transparent screen, they are a bit more expensive but I got it from the States where they are much much cheaper than in the UK even with import duties etc.

Mark

mac_monkey

Wow. Great looking room. What's with the panels, are they acoustic? Love to see more pics.

scottmark

I just realised I don't have any photos of the make up of the panels, so that's a job for tonight then.

And I suppose they aren't true acoustic panels as there is nothing in them, well except the ones that are used as doors in front of the cabinets, but they are covered in acoustically transparent material and the acoustic insulation, is stuck to the wall behind.

P1010219.JPG

Mark

Last edited:

Philw101

Looks great ! Well Done! :)

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Came on here just to look at your Rako following your comment on my thread and WOW how did I miss this one!?

Lovely! Very stylish and everything done just how I like it. Love the side panel lighting, very tastefully done and love your room. :thumbsup:

scottmark

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I got the camera out tonight to take a few more pictures.

The first is a panel off the wall, just the fabric stretched over the frames, and you can see the velco that we used to attach them to the wall.

P1020673.JPG

This is of one of the doors, not a very good picture though, we used the material that they put underneath sofas to back them with the rockwool inside.
P1020672.JPG

A couple of close ups of the LEDs in between the panels, we used the tops from black trunking to hide the edges, which worked pretty well I think, you can just see the edges of it in the second pic.
P1020674.JPG
P1020676.JPG

This is one of the side speakers with the lighting and heating controls below, then a close up of the heatmiser and rako switches both of which we sprayed matt black.
P1020681.JPG
P1020686.JPG

And lastly one of the recessed light cans in the ceiling.
P1020689.JPG

Thanks for looking
Mark

ChristovJN

This is brilliant, I love the directional blue lighting up the walls!

scottmark

Michael, thanks and don't put yours down you have an excellent room and when the light are off it doesn't really matter what the place looks like does it :thumbsup:

But the stage does add to the look when the lights are on, it wasn't too hard to do either, lots of good examples on AVS forums of exactly how to do it, also as a bonus it isolates the front speakers from the floor as well.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser announces flagship IE 900 earphones