1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The safe arival of my SVS PC Ultra

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jules, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    It arrived!
    The delivery guy couldn't find us as usual, but he phoned HQ...who phoned me to ask for directions.
    Then the lorry was too big to get within 150 yards, so I met the delivery guy and we carried the box between us the rest of the way.

First impression here, was that it wasn't as heavy as I expected!
    Not light, but certainly manageable.

Anyway, I hurriedly unpacked it (I found an SVS pen and T-Shirt in the box too) and like a kid rushed it up 2 flight of stairs (on my own!) to the AV system.

I havn't yet received my Mark Grant sub cable, so everyting is still out of place. All I wanted to do was plug it in, run some bass to it and make sure it worked.... and it did!

I hope to be setting everything up properly this weekend, and let you all now how I get on.

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Congratulations on the arrival of your new pride and joy. I remember how excited I was when I first got mine up and going. The best thing is, my excitement hasn't gone away or even diminished a bit. First thing I do every day when I get in from work (apart from giving Mrs. Juniper a cheery hello and peck on the cheek of course :D ) is stand and look at it and smile, and that's before it's turned on! If you have even half of the pleasure out of it that mine (PB2+) has given me, then you're one lucky person :thumbsup:

Very much looking to your first thoughts/impressions/ravings......

3. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    nice one break out master and commander,darla etc etc

hold tight!!"1!!!!1!!!!!!!

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I havn't tried any films yet as I can't set up the full system until weekend.

The AV cabinet is in the middle of the room to access the cables at the back, and the room is in chaos, but I couldn't resist listening to a bit of music it in the meantime with the SVS connected.

And the verdict so far....

:thumbsup: :clap: :smashin: :laugh: ..

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Well, I've downloaded some test tones and measured the response of this beast at various frequencies.

The bad new is .... I don't think my parametric EQ is working! :mad:
    It doesn't seem to matter where the controls are, my readings are always the same.
    I have an 8db peak between 35 and 50Hz which I can't tame. And I've read the manual about 10 times and followed the instructions.
    Its probably for this reason that so far I rate it better for music than movies, as most of the music bass is above the peak.

The good news is, the bass it produces is so clean that this peak is actually tolerable.
    It's incredibly deep, powerful, fast, boom free etc..

However, there's one more bit of bad news.............I have a headache!
    Too many 30Hz test tones are bad for your health.

6. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jules

You must ensure when you select the frequency to go down to Hz not Khz
    I did this a couple of times and of course it no effect at the correct low freqency
    Also,are the correct buttons are pressed on the bfd far righthand top can deactivate the bfd
    processing ( i think its that button from memory) It should be solid green,not flashing
    or off.

Keep going read the snapbug stuff again,I had to print it out and study slowly

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    My sub cable arrived from Mark Grant this morning, so I rigged everything up properly and played a few DVD's, CD's etc.

The PC Ultra looks bigger than I thought it would in its rightful place, and it seams heavier today!! I mean, I struggled to move it accross the room today, but when it first arrived I happily carried it up 2 flights of stairs..... Work that one out!! It was probably the exictement on Thursday that filled my muscles with adrenalin.

Anyway, the performance reviews are all true! Its been said many times before but it takes first hand experience to believe it.
    If you have space for one of these things.... don't hesitate. Buy it!

Even after owning a REL storm and 2 KEF45B subs, I've obviously never experienced what 20Hz or below sounds like before.
    It's actually quite an uncomfortable feeling, but an experience that is required to add realism to some films.
    Though I wouldn't recommend regular doses of 20Hz at even moderate levels as it can't possible be good for you. I felt a little sick after a 20Hz sine wave measured 75db on the SPL metre.

As I said earlier though, the PC Ultra is an excellent music sub, and the complete absence of any distortion allows is to blend in to your main speakers without drawing attention to itself.
    For me, this is the nicest feature.

However, I will miss my 2 KEF 45B's when they're gone.
    They worked together to provide a well balanced, even response accross the room. The SVS provides better performance, but on its own there's a slightly lob-sided feel which I was used to being without.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Bloody Hell!
    I've just been watching U-571. It's a completely different film now.

I take back what I said about maybe missing my 2 KEFs.
    The PC Ultra is starting to benefit from a bit of running in and I'm in absolute awe of it. Staggering!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I watched U-571 with my SVS but mine was obviously faulty as the film was still crap

10. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Glad to hear you got one at last Ian :smashin:

11. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>I watched U-571 with my SVS but mine was obviously faulty as the film was still crap<<<

I still cringe a bit when I see folks using 571 as sort of a DVD "reference". Das Boot is such a better film...

It is like comparing Quest for Fire to Caveman..:)

Tom V.