The Running Thread Part II

Anyone know anything about the Nike React Miler 2 trainers.

On sale from 114 to 51 at the moment at Nike so tempted to get a pair if anyone knows if they’d be any better than my current show of choice, the Nike Run Renew

or would I be better off with something like a Pegasus 38 for a bit more money

TIA

Nike often have good discounts on their running range and worth keeping an eye on.

As the name suggests, these have the React foam in the sole and I have to say that its really good for a cushioned run. I have it in my nike infinity and my feet have never felt better whilst running.

I did have the pegasus 38 having had the 35's previously but the toe box was much tighter and I couldn't get comfortable in them

Some 800 metre sprints repeats will massively help, start with 4 x 800 mtr 3 min break at roughly 5.30km pace, try and control the pace, it doesn't matter that you can run faster its about getting used to that faster pace and adapting to it. Expand on that as the weeks on, you only need to this once a week on top of what ever other running you do.

I like the idea of this, but is it quick enough?

Last 4 runs average pace has been;

10k - 5.38
7k - 5:30
5k - 5:20
5.5k - 5:43 (was taking it easy as hamstrings are a bit tight)

I think I am already used to the 5:30 pace, should I aim at 4 x 800 at 5 min/km?

I like the idea of this, but is it quick enough?

Last 4 runs average pace has been;

10k - 5.38
7k - 5:30
5k - 5:20
5.5k - 5:43 (was taking it easy as hamstrings are a bit tight)

I think I am already used to the 5:30 pace, should I aim at 4 x 800 at 5 min/km?
Ok I was going by the 5km time you posted and working from that, given these the times that 1st km on the 5km you did literally destroyed the middle of the race for you.

So the logic is that you would do repeats at 10-15 second faster than your race 5km pace or your pb pace, the idea is that you are forcing the body to get used to running faster than you would or can over that distance, by the time you are in to your 3rd repeat the pace you are doing the 800 metres at will become the normal for the repeats, but try and keep at the pace the best you can, sprinting the first 200 metres and slowing right down and doing the last 100 quick again defeats the object of what your trying to achieve the 800 metres wants to be as evenly paced as you possibly can, by the time you get to rep 4-6 or up to 8 as the weeks go on the pace should feel taxing on the body and become more difficult to sustain over the distance.

Myself when doing repeats I like to do repeats for the distance I am training for when it comes to the 5km and 10km, the logic being that I am covering the distance of the race albeit with breaks but at faster pace.

Your mind will argue with you when you doing this especially in the later reps that how could you possible cover the distance you are running at in one go when you doing this and need breaks, but trust me the body will defy the logic and at about 8 weeks of doing this speed type of training you will soon find that your 5 km times will improve. As the weeks go on and you get more confident, more used to even pacing and stronger and more able you should start to slightly increase the 800 metre pace or keep the pace the same and increase the speed distance up to 1 km and progressively work towards 1 mile repeats and as you get more experience you just start to adapt this to what suits you. You'll see that a while back I did 2 x 5 kms in under 20 mins a piece the reasoning for that was to help my speed endurance for marathon training, whereas I can do the 5 km somewhere in the 18 min mark so the 20 min was comfortable for me, well the first was the second from about half way point was rough.

Hope this helps.

The above is exactly what I have been doing and after just a couple of sessions I am making significant improvements. This morning I set up intervals using an app of 3 min runs / 1 min recovery X 8 which I estimated to take me up to around 5k at the pace I planned on running. Annoyingly I was about 100m short of 5K when I finished, had I realised and put a bit of a sprint in at the end I would have beaten my modest 5K PB, and that is with 8 mins of walking in the mix!

Ok I was going by the 5km time you posted and working from that, given these the times that 1st km on the 5km you did literally destroyed the middle of the race for you.

So the logic is that you would do repeats at 10-15 second faster than your race 5km pace or your pb pace, the idea is that you are forcing the body to get used to running faster than you would or can over that distance, by the time you are in to your 3rd repeat the pace you are doing the 800 metres at will become the normal for the repeats, but try and keep at the pace the best you can, sprinting the first 200 metres and slowing right down and doing the last 100 quick again defeats the object of what your trying to achieve the 800 metres wants to be as evenly paced as you possibly can, by the time you get to rep 4-6 or up to 8 as the weeks go on the pace should feel taxing on the body and become more difficult to sustain over the distance.

Myself when doing repeats I like to do repeats for the distance I am training for when it comes to the 5km and 10km, the logic being that I am covering the distance of the race albeit with breaks but at faster pace.

Your mind will argue with you when you doing this especially in the later reps that how could you possible cover the distance you are running at in one go when you doing this and need breaks, but trust me the body will defy the logic and at about 8 weeks of doing this speed type of training you will soon find that your 5 km times will improve. As the weeks go on and you get more confident, more used to even pacing and stronger and more able you should start to slightly increase the 800 metre pace or keep the pace the same and increase the speed distance up to 1 km and progressively work towards 1 mile repeats and as you get more experience you just start to adapt this to what suits you. You'll see that a while back I did 2 x 5 kms in under 20 mins a piece the reasoning for that was to help my speed endurance for marathon training, whereas I can do the 5 km somewhere in the 18 min mark so the 20 min was comfortable for me, well the first was the second from about half way point was rough.

Hope this helps.

Really useful and interesting. Thanks!

Out of interest what's your marathon pb and what sort of times are you training for currently?

Really useful and interesting. Thanks!

Out of interest what's your marathon pb and what sort of times are you training for currently?
My marathon pb is 3hr 14, from 3 years ago, I'm training to become apart of the sub 3 hour family of runners all 2% of them in the world.lol.

That marathon time from 3 years in no way shape of form reflects the place I'm in now, I was a skinny man then, I went from 16st4 down to 11st2 with huge muscle wastage.
To give you an idea my calves measured 12 inch and upper leg 11.5 inch my upper body was equal in size etc. It's taken me 3 years to slowly rebuild my body. My calves are now 14inch and upper legs 23 inch upper body follows suite, my current weight is 12st10 about 13% body fat.
Come September I will start to slowly slim down to 8-10% body fat I expect my weight will settle at about 11st10lb, i should have about 6 months to train to my full potential at that weight for my next marathon in October 2022.

EF690088-C882-45EF-B966-A3170105099F.jpeg
331A079C-9924-4FD7-B3D2-2A0003CE966D.jpeg

I’m not new to running by any stretch of the imagination but having taken the best part of a year off I was missing it and decided to start running again. I find it a great way to unwind from work and have enjoyed getting back out there.

I started off 8 weeks ago with a 5K as my first run to set a benchmark to improve on and ran a 24:16. I’ve followed an 8 week training block with a target time in mind of 23:00, running a 22:32 tonight which I’m really pleased with.

Target pace was 4:36/KM but after the usual faster than planned start ( I need to work on this) I decided to push on. My plan was to target 22:00 in 8 weeks time but I’m going to go for an optimistic 21:00 and see how close I can get to that.

Great work by everyone in here. Im onto week 4 of couch to 5k yesterday 😄
Was a bit of a progression this time, 3min and 5minute runs compared to 90seconds and 3mins for week 3. But I completed it despite having to dig a little deep. I might do week 4 for two weeks to get used to it. Let's see.

Great work by everyone in here. Im onto week 4 of couch to 5k yesterday 😄
Was a bit of a progression this time, 3min and 5minute runs compared to 90seconds and 3mins for week 3. But I completed it despite having to dig a little deep. I might do week 4 for two weeks to get used to it. Let's see.
I've not done it but hopefully the plan will allow your body to catch up so I'd try and stick to it if your body allows.

My wife started CT5K 5 January and is now marathon training!

IMG_20210713_104905.jpg

Having started couch to 5k back in April, I am new to running. As someone new to running I find myself getting fitter and fitter as the weeks go by. It's great to see my pace increase week on week but sometimes its hard not to just keep pushing to go faster (or further).

This week I decided to do two runs; Monday and Wednesday at a comfortable pace, with a Friday session with some quicker paced repeats involved.

Got a bit excited Monday, felt good and the whole comfortable pace thing went out of the window;

1626266092101.png

Felt good to knock 1min 50 off my 5K PB, but wasn't really the plan.

Todays run was a little warmer and a little more controlled (although pace seemed a little all over the the place);

1626266213248.png

Hopefully Friday, won't be too painful, forecase is for 27c :eek:

Having started couch to 5k back in April, I am new to running. As someone new to running I find myself getting fitter and fitter as the weeks go by. It's great to see my pace increase week on week but sometimes its hard not to just keep pushing to go faster (or further).

This week I decided to do two runs; Monday and Wednesday at a comfortable pace, with a Friday session with some quicker paced repeats involved.

Got a bit excited Monday, felt good and the whole comfortable pace thing went out of the window;

View attachment 1541828
Felt good to knock 1min 50 off my 5K PB, but wasn't really the plan.

Todays run was a little warmer and a little more controlled (although pace seemed a little all over the the place);

View attachment 1541829

Hopefully Friday, won't be too painful, forecase is for 27c :eek:
I only have to think about going out for a run and suddenly it's glorious sunshine outside😂

My marathon pb is 3hr 14, from 3 years ago, I'm training to become apart of the sub 3 hour family of runners all 2% of them in the world.lol.

That marathon time from 3 years in no way shape of form reflects the place I'm in now, I was a skinny man then, I went from 16st4 down to 11st2 with huge muscle wastage.
To give you an idea my calves measured 12 inch and upper leg 11.5 inch my upper body was equal in size etc. It's taken me 3 years to slowly rebuild my body. My calves are now 14inch and upper legs 23 inch upper body follows suite, my current weight is 12st10 about 13% body fat.
Come September I will start to slowly slim down to 8-10% body fat I expect my weight will settle at about 11st10lb, i should have about 6 months to train to my full potential at that weight for my next marathon in October 2022.
Thanks for this. Really interesting to read. Congrats on a great PB and plans for even better.

I can see why sub 3hrs is such a small group. Completely different level to what I'm training at!

Just started back after moving to the Halifax area.
5k round Scammonden dam then up the infamous Scammonden steps to finish me off.
Thrice a week for now then I'm going rotate with just the steps up and down as many times as I can manage. Hopefully 10.

The right hip is aching a bit.

Picked the perfect day for 4 x 1000m repeats... 29c and blazing sunshine... good god it was hot!

Happy overall, but would prefer the pace to be around 4:40 all the way through. Averaged to 4:30 but it definitely didn't feel as controlled as I would want.

Heart rate was doing what you would you would want (paused in between repeats, I didn't just instantly recover :))

1626438804685.png

1626438720504.png

Well, my hip stopped nagging, so went out this morning.
5k plus steps, it was bloody warm 24 plus.
Felt ace, about 5 hrs later knee is in pain, feels like I have a conker in there.
Currently icing and brufen, a bloody nuisance.

My 40yr plus body is pissing me off atm.

Picked the perfect day for 4 x 1000m repeats... 29c and blazing sunshine... good god it was hot!

Happy overall, but would prefer the pace to be around 4:40 all the way through. Averaged to 4:30 but it definitely didn't feel as controlled as I would want.

Heart rate was doing what you would you would want (paused in between repeats, I didn't just instantly recover :))

View attachment 1542696

View attachment 1542695
Wow your a braver person than me going out in that heat today, I'm holding of til about 8pm tonight or maybe later.lol

You appear to be the opposite to me I always find that first repeat no matter the distance I do tough to dial in the pace and so I always tend to be a touch slower than I'd like to be, but by the time I'm half way through my second my pace is pretty much always dialed in.

It's sound like the easiest thing in the world to simply run at a desired speed for a short distance but it's actually really difficult to do achieve the pace you want, if you feel fresh you'll want to speed up and fatigued it will make it a slog to get up to and hold pace.

This could be the hottest day of year, goodluck to all who brave it today😂

Blow that, we're taking the kids to sit in the sand dunes in Lytham.

Rest this knee, feels better already after RICE and brufen.

😂 I’ve got an easy 11K planned today… I’ll be going this evening.

😂 I’ve got an easy 11K planned today… I’ll be going this evening.
I've been and done 6 miles boiling hot, not much air it wasn't a great experience i kinda wish I had waited until tonight but running after pizza and chips is never gonna happen.lol.

I am doing a 10k+ plod tomorrow. Going to get up early or do it in the evening. I did an interval session early yesterday and it was already getting uncomfortably hot by the time I finished.

I did 7 miles at 8am, later than I normally go. Immediately jumped into a cold shower to cool off!

IMG_20210717_184858.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom