The Running Man 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review. I got this a couple of weeks ago after being on the fence. Definitely worth it and fabulous picture quality. Classic Arnie and great trip down memory lane

SunnyIntervals

I haven't seen this in decades, but isn't there a scene where they map another characters face on to Arnie's to fake some footage? I remember seeing that and thinking, one day that will be possible...

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I haven't seen this in decades, but isn't there a scene where they map another characters face on to Arnie's to fake some footage? I remember seeing that and thinking, one day that will be possible...

Absolutely, a lot of the future tech in this - full voice-activated home appliances, lighting, TV etc - and the face mapping, it's all pretty prescient.

bash

Man, havent seen this film in ages. Love would love to check this 4k version out whilst blasting out the synth based soundtrack too.

scarty16

Always preferred this to Total Recall

Best use of the "I'll be back" outside of Terminator, and the host gets to give him a come back when he uses the line as well.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Not sure I want this enough to spend £26 on it as I don't think I'd watch it again and again, but it's £3.99 on Itunes at the moment (and it looks like the version reviewed here) so I might buy it there.

rm.JPG

Last edited:

shagaboopon

I always struggle to justify these greedy markups above £20 for yet another release of a film. I can just about justify a £20 purchase of a single film on physical media but anything above that I think of as a cash grab. It's also really annoying when you look 6 months later and it's fallen in price. That being said I did buy the Lord of the Rings on 4k for £75 which is the third time I bought those films.

GeorgeL78

richp007

Distinguished Member
This film is epic beyond epic. So much to love.

Arnie, the Stalkers, Killian, Captain Freedom, the soundtrack.

And Agnes is still an absolute legend.

The_Wierd

Not sure I want this enough to spend £26 on it as I don't think I'd watch it again and again, but it's £3.99 on Itunes at the moment (and it looks like the version reviewed here) so I might buy it there.

View attachment 1635699

I got the iTunes version the other day, thought it was a really good transfer with Dolby Vision. I never had this on Blu-ray, only DVD so a massive step up from that, and I think my old DVD was even a rubbish censored cut. ITunes sound quality can't match the best Atmos 4K discs, but for an older track like this, it sounded fine. No iTunes extras on this one, but for 4 quid, can't really grumble.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Definitely going to buy this but Id rather wait for a UK release. And I prefer it to some other Arnie films like True Lies, Last Action Hero or Red Heat for example. Great 80s nonsense!

Snake79

This film is epic beyond epic. So much to love.

Arnie, the Stalkers, Killian, Captain Freedom, the soundtrack.

And Agnes is still an absolute legend.

This pretty much sums up my view on the film, it's certainly one of my favourite Arnie flicks that I come back to often. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I had the Australian blu-ray which was a nice upgrade over the DVD, especially with the audio. I didn't realise there was a 4K release but happened to see it on Amazon so snapped it up before the new year. I agree with Cas, the picture is excellent and the Mediabook looks really nice and is worth the money if you like the film.

terencejames

I often bought the novelisation of movies when I was a kid (I used read them before I had a chance to see the movie and 'impress' everyone by telling them what was going to happen next) so I was so excited to see this after reading Stephen King's book. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the book other than the name. Still, we did get the Smash TV arcade game, which is practically the movie in game form.

Gambit1977

When she puts Killian in his place by telling him she can do what she likes :laugh:
When she's winning all the prizes and Killian can barely hold them :laugh:

It contains one of my favourite quotes, which I do whenever i hear the name

"Edvard?"

Dean

Love this film remember seeing it as a kid when it first came out. I already have the german steelbook which I'll probably keep but otherwise would get the 4K.

"Killian, here's your Subzero... now plain zero."

dragontycoon

This can't have aged well....

Yeah, a society with massive wealth divides that watch extreme violence and gamble on reality television, while the corporations and the media control the minds of the subdued lower classes through constant surveillance and massive encroachments on personal privacy.

Phew, thank God that didn't happen...

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I always struggle to justify these greedy markups above £20 for yet another release of a film.
I've noticed that a lot of new 4K releases are now £25 where the previous norm seemed to be £20 :(

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces MKII versions of A12, CD14 and RCD-1572 devices
  • By Andy Bassett