The Running Man (1987) 4K UHD

regular_guy28

I just spotted this on Amazon.

Running Man Limited im Mediabook (4K Ultra HD) 2D) (+ Bonus Amazon product

Has anyone purchased it?

How is the transfer? I can’t seem to find much info about it but maybe I’m missing something.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Transfer is good as per experts.

Clock'd 0ne

I bought it already on the basis of the transfer getting rave reviews, the media book itself is excellent but I haven’t watched it yet and it looks like I might not have time to over Christmas either with all the other films I’ve got lined up.

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
If it had Dolby Atmos I'd be in for this.
Until then I'll stick to my US Blu-ray with the same 7.1 soundtrack.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
If it had Dolby Atmos I'd be in for this.
Until then I'll stick to my US Blu-ray with the same 7.1 soundtrack.

For older films, as long as it includes the original audio I am fine with that. Atmos is a bonus and I welcome it as long as it's done correctly and original audio is included.

Jaxkesa

Watched earlier this week and thought it looked really good. The film wasn't as good as I remember it being tho.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Watched earlier this week and thought it looked really good. The film wasn't as good as I remember it being tho.
Its worth watching just for Captain Freedom if nothing else! :D

regular_guy28

Decided to take a chance and ordered it. Can’t beat some classic Arnie.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Sadly the movie is really bad as the action sequences lacks both style and substance compared to other Arnie flicks.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
A bit like total recall in that hasn’t aged well. Great films at the time for sure though. Great for fans though

darren68uk

Arnie is No Laurence Olivier, but he has never pretended to be, so just knocking his films for not being Oscar nominating is just wrong! Running man along with Total recall are Arnie classics, they tried to remake total recall and it was worse than the 1st so to speak, so that says some thing !

Would be good to see if this realise is decent, thou getting 4K releases from Germany 1st always makes me nervous,

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
It's a damn good disc, shockingly so since it's from rubbish merchants Capelight.

I had some issues with lip-sync on the 2.0 track on my main player, but could replicate it anywhere else.

TBH, I don't mind the 7.1 track.

Jaxkesa

Arnie is No Laurence Olivier, but he has never pretended to be, so just knocking his films for not being Oscar nominating is just wrong! Running man along with Total recall are Arnie classics, they tried to remake total recall and it was worse than the 1st so to speak, so that says some thing !

Would be good to see if this realise is decent, thou getting 4K releases from Germany 1st always makes me nervous,

He's improved a lot since making this (which is saying something). Actually his acting seems to get better as the film goes on but I remember it being much scarier and violent when I saw it last. Great transfer at least.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I absolutely love this film, but I can't believe they haven't remade it yet. With Dwayne Johnson in the lead role. He'd be perfect.

I've said it so many times in recent years, though someone in Hollywood will hear me at some point :)

Clock'd 0ne

I absolutely love this film, but I can't believe they haven't remade it yet. With Dwayne Johnson in the lead role. He'd be perfect.

I've said it so many times in recent years, though someone in Hollywood will hear me at some point :)
Why remake it though? Why not just do a new film with a similar yet distanced plot.

There's no need to poorly facsimile old films. Or just do a sequal if it needs to be in the same setting.

movieman1866

In the immortal words of John McEnroe "you cannot be serious". Dwayne Johnson would have to play Captain Freedom.

In all seriousness I'm with @Clock'd 0ne as mostly I really hate remakes or more accurately new movies with the same name as one of my favourites. Total Recall and Point Break being prime examples.

The Running Man does have the best comeback line to "I'll be back" and that pause along with the expression on Killian's face before he delivers it is just perfect.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Why remake it though? Why not just do a new film with a similar yet distanced plot.

There's no need to poorly facsimile old films. Or just do a sequal if it needs to be in the same setting.

That's also what a remake can be. It doesn't need to be a carbon copy. Remember the original concept was by Stephen King in a short story.

In the immortal words of John McEnroe "you cannot be serious". Dwayne Johnson would have to play Captain Freedom.

In all seriousness I'm with @Clock'd 0ne as mostly I really hate remakes or more accurately new movies with the same name as one of my favourites. Total Recall and Point Break being prime examples.

The Running Man does have the best comeback line to "I'll be back" and that pause along with the expression on Killian's face before he delivers it is just perfect.

He could play Captain Freedom. But I'm thinking of the stock of Johnson these days as the star, and he's certainly built for the part. In both look and fitness. Plus he's got that wisecrack ability too.

In many ways I wouldn't want to see it remade anyway, I was mainly inferring my surprise that it hasn't been. Such a story would be pretty topical in today's world of social media and surveillance too.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I really don't get why people get hung up about absence of atmos tracks from films made long before atmos was a thing. I'm easily pleased, but for me if a film looks lovely then I'm not overly saddened by lack of immersive soundtracks. A child of the VHS era, clearly!

movieman1866

I really don't get why people get hung up about absence of atmos tracks from films made long before atmos was a thing. I'm easily pleased, but for me if a film looks lovely then I'm not overly saddened by lack of immersive soundtracks. A child of the VHS era, clearly!
An Atmos track is nice to have but not essential. It certainly adds some perceived value to our purchases.
I was very pleased with the upgrade in picture and audio with the Indiana Jones boxset but did feel a little disappointed with the Back to the Future boxset. Was the upgrade in picture alone really worth purchasing them again? Yes, but an Atmos track would have made me feel better about the purchase.
Predator is possibly my favourite UHD that I've upgraded from blu ray. The picture quality is such a huge improvement that it matters not at all to me that the audio is the same as the blu ray.

inzaman

Richards “I love this film, this films part of me, and I’m gonna make it part of you”:D

Buzz saw touched me man, you guys see that? he touched me.

I love this film, growing up in the 80s we were spoiled by Arnie, sly, robocop, and aliens. as a teenager, but not 18, when this came out I tried everything to see it and I remember when a mate at school got it on pirate video, the excitement was just off the scale.

Buckster666

Buckster666

Had this come through on Xmas eve, wow this film has never looked better. Can we get all the love Island contestants and other reality TV stars and put them in the running man. I'd watch that, lol

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp