1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The rules of cancelling and re-subscribing.......?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by robyoung, Oct 21, 2005.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all,

Right the situation is i'm moving house in 2 weeks, i currently have a Sky+ box and a second normal box too paying £52 a month.

To re-install my boxes at the new address i will need to pay about £40-50, but what i was thinking of doing was this.

Cancel my subscription now (my 12 months is up) and move house, then at my new address order sky+ and a normal box with multiroom online for £49 all in... that way i will have the option of 2 sky+ boxes and also have two spare normal boxes! I have a friend who can do all the extra installation etc if i decided to use more than 2 boxes as well.

So was just wondering whether there are any rules against this? I guess there may be if it was the same address, but how do they know i;m the same customer when i'm in a totally different address....?

what do you reckon? hope all that makes sense or have i lost you.... hello!? ;)

cheers Rob

2. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bank details? and sky can still say your an existing customer even after 2 years.
    ring up and complain that your on the top package and your being charged. an extra £ 50 for moving house, tell them your not happy and theyll offer you half price package for the next 3 months how long have you had sky+

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    so
    Rob Young cancels his subscription at one address
    Rob Young applies again at a new address

I would spot that, get your partner to subscribe at your new address.

4. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but what if they have a joint account?

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    change your name to John Smith. They must have hundreds of those on file.

6. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the replies people!

Surely they must have a few Rob Youngs on file too, but i could get teh Mrs to put it in their name. Also by chance we have just changed our bank account (for different reasons) so i might get away with it.... hmmmm! :rolleyes:

Rob

7. JonBClark

JonBClark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky completely messed up my upgrade when we moved to a new house. Simple scenario, sky at old house, get a move date from our builders and phone Sky to come and install Sky+ at the new house - no problem they say, we can do this on this special offer.. hmm

The day of installation - engineer turns up with no dish, will not install one until I cough up an extract 40 quid to Sky.. I was not happy! Wrote strong letter to Sky and hey presto they wrote back realising their mistake and will re-emburse me the 40 quid.. so we thought, it then took many phone calls to actually get the money when it wasn't taken off our next bill..

so the moral of this story Rob, don't worry about names and bank details etc., Sky don't know their a*se from their elbows! They'll never know, and don't even care anyway :)

8. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was a normal sky subscriber 2 years ago, but we were having a large extension builtand as the house was being bashed to buggery we decided to move out for 6 months while the work was done.
    I phoned SKY to see if they could "freeze" my account as I wouldnt be using it for that 6 months, they said no and i would have to keep paying so I cancelled my subscription a week before we moved out.

My plan was to re subscribe to SKY+ as new customer a week efore we moved back in to get the free installation etc, but when I tried I got the " you are current subcriber" even though at the time their website stated that to be a " current subscriber" you had to be currently paying monthly.

So after quite a few phonecalls of being put through to a different department each time I got some poor bloke and it must have been his first day on the phones! I was quite angry and managed to tie him up in knots but I could hear someone in the background telling him what to say! In the end I asked to speak to a senior advisor and this same woman came on the line.

Anyway, eventually I got through to sales I think, and explained my problem and the guy just set up a new account with a new account number and that was that! so they can do it.

I still get the Sky magazine from my old account and the new one through the door on the same day!

9. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having gone through a move (and battle with Sky) a few years ago ...

I wholeheartedly recommend taking out a brand new sub (in whomever's name) at the new residence and just cancel/drop the existing arrangement. It's not worth the hassle, and as you say you end up quids-in with regards to spare gear and such ...