The Rules of Attraction.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by KoboK, Apr 10, 2003.

1. KoboK

KoboK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow.
    That was the most refreshing movie i've seen since Donnie Darko. The wonderful direction, with the split shots and rewinds. And the way that all the characters are not likeable at all, and totally pointless in retrospect.
    The ending was great too.

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

It had poor reviews in the US and mixed reviews over here. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I reckon it would be Squirrel Gods cup of tea, if he manages to order the correct title:rolleyes:

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, yes I'm ashamed to say folks that I ordered "Rules of Engagement" instead :blush: which arrived a few days ago :D

I will post a review of "Rules of Engagement" on here, once I've watched it, just to confuse everyone :laugh:

I will definitely get this one Mac, but waiting for price to drop a little bit :)

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thats what im waiting for too, it looks ok but not willing to shell out new release price for it

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, that brightened up my day. Good work small rodent type fella! :D

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    It has an excellent soundtrack!!!

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I must say, I really enjoyed this movie! Thanks to Mcmullanbrush for recommending it :laugh: Samuel L Jackson in particular was great. The plot was not as complex as some military courtroom dramas, but it still floated my boat. Absolutely first rate soundtrack too.

I'll look forward to seeing how it compares with Rules of Attraction :D

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    This is a very good film. The story isn't novel (!) but is done well and Easton Ellis isn't done any real damage for a change. Like American Psycho it's watered down for content but gets the message across. And in fact, plays with reference to it in James Van Der Beek's characters' name, Bateman, who in turn jokes about his friend Patrick.
    Most people, if not all, will be able to relate to some of the experiences portrayed with the college bunch and this is the story's foothold. I disagree, above, that all the characters are unlikeable and found some witty and/or just young. Oh and the drug dealers are sound but in a bad way!
    The acting is fine and there are some excellant moments. It's good to see a different type of character portrayed by Van Der Beek in a 'real' sense. Often I find myself despising tv/films where characters never swear or act in an everyday manner and lengths are taken to prevent this - don't ask.
    Another thing I like about the story is that it doesn't shy from showing how self-involved people are but won't admit it. No doubt some who see this will just raise their eyebrows at 'those college kids', when in reality most people consider their stake in interactions but just conceal it and I find this refreshing. Also the throwaway manner in which some events are treated instead of high drama.
    The way it's shot is pleasing but something of late that is heading for overkill with events retold by other characters in the same setting, though the reverse motion is effective. Some media which use the former makes me feel cheated and cynical in that you get much of the same twice and companies must love it's cheapness but here I didn't feel conned and like putting the kettle on.
    There are some decent tunes accompanying but more from a few years back, which was a surprise, in the form of modernity and old is new. Perhaps it was me but I found the need to concentrate hard in a couple of scenes to hear the dialogue over the music.
    In short, if you're after a tale of US college good timers out for sex, drugs and some rock an roll then this is for you. Limited brain capacity required.

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was disappointed with this film, it got good reviews.

I thought the acting was good but apart from that I was pretty bored right the way through. I didn't care at all about the characters or where the story was going.

Distinctly average IMO, 4/10.

10. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sean Is Patricks Brother

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw this film today I thought it was excellent some lovely touches by the director

a bit nasty in places and it was very hard to feel sympathetic to the characters