1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RU980 has arrived...(any other owners please read)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by SilverPenguin7, Jan 17, 2005.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    First of all, if your a RU980 owner can you please read the couple of questions at the foot of this post, thank you...

WOW!

The screen is so much better than the old green screen. Of course its obvious that it will be but until you see the two next to each other you don't fully appreciate it. The old green Pronto looks so faded and washed out now!

This thing is amazing. I haven't actually started to learn anything yet as its been charging this afternoon and I've had a couple of things to do. Even when put on the charger I had to smile as the LED's for charging indication are blue, and I'm a sucker for blue LED's lol

Going back to the screen it really is very impressive just how clear and bright it is. The 65k colour screen just oozes quality and just about every button/icon on it looks sharp and detailed - and thats just the standard configuration out the box! Another nice touch is you can programme macro functions for any button direct in to the remote which with my old one you couldn't do without the aid of a pc and Pronot Edit as far as I remember.

Its slightly wider and longer than the old remote but also thinner and lighter so overall it doesn't feel any bigger. One small niggle is that the remove it from the charger you have to pull it up from the back so it 'un-clips' itself. Thats fine unless you have someone try to pick it up that doesn't know about this!

A couple of questions I have though:

1) I have noticed mine rattles(!!) like a small bit of plastic is loose inside but I am wondering if that is a fault or if its something to do with the tilt sensor for auto on when you pick the remote up? If someone could clear that up for me that would be great as if it shouldn't rattle it might need to go back!

2) I have put the latest firmware on it but I can't figure out how to make the hard buttons NOT activate the screen - or make the hard button lights come on! I found the extra set-up menu that appears with the firmware update but regardless of what settings I choose I can't seem to get the hard buttons to light up when pressed or function without turning the screen on?

3) When I connect the remote to my pc to try and download files it says I have connected a USB device that isn't working or supported correctly, then when trying to download actual files it either says the device is not connected or it doesn not support the file format I'm sending it which are just pcf files from remote central. Hmmmmm!

Once I have started to create/modify the layout etc I'm sure I'll be even more impressed than I am now. All I can say is now its in my hands I have no regret whatsover in picking one up! :D

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    dont worry the rattle is just the pickup sensor.if you turn the pickup sensor off in the settings menu the screen only lights when you press a button or touch the screen,the other settings dont seem do alter anything,the battery must be fully charged to download/upload to pc,have you tried not using docking stn,just connect usb cable into back of remote,hope this helps,if you find out about the other settings let mr know :thumbsup:

3. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No No No No No.

This is not the news that my bank manager was wanting to hear!

I'm sure Mr Credit card manager will be happy though :rotfl:

I want one. Very badly.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616

Its not got the same quirk as my B&W :blush: one , in that the screen has to be "on" for upload/download to commence ?
    atb
    JS

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    The remote won't work via USB unless its fully charged. The easiest way, is to plug the docking station into the PC, and charge the remote while using the USB function. The screen can be off or on when uploading/downloading. It took me a while...and a lot of hair pulling to figure this one out!

The hard buttons do not light up, unless you press the light button on the side. To stop the hard buttons activating the screen, go into the setup menu and just change the option, thats how i had mine configured.....but then the missus wanted the screen to come on as well.....women eh?

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmm strange as it had been on charge all day before I tried to connect it to the pc! It did work once as I managed to download the firmware update! However I did not know you could plug the docking station in to the pc so I'll give that a go :)

Strange that you can't get the hard buttons to light up by pressing them!

I was hoping someone would say the rattle is the pick up sensor, PHEW!!

Starvald, sorry to not put you off it.....I'll repoty baack once I have had a proper play with Pronto Edit, might try and take some pictures showing the old and new remotes side by side just to convince you a little more...hehe ;)

EDIT: Still gettting told the type of file is not supported by the remote?!

EDIT 2: And now its telling me the remote is not connected to the pc! Hmmm strange this :confused:

EDIT 3: Ok, I un-installed the software (latest version of Pronto Edit) and re-installed the older version that was on the provided CD. Now to re-install the new version I have to un-install the old one first, how did everyone else go about installing the new software, am I missing something which is causing the problem? At least for now I can finally send files to and from the remote :)

EDIT 4: Ok, here is the thing, I have figured out all the pcf files I have from remote central were built on the TSU7000, the RU980 won't read them when you try to download them to it, so I am having to open a new blank RU980 file, merge the TSU7000 pcf and the re-save the file as an RU980 one! Slightly odd, is this because at present I am using the older version of Edit NG?

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    The TSU7000 and the RU980 are basically the same, just US and European models. I must say that my 7000 DOESN'T rattle......

But i believe without a bit of messing, you can't just simply upload 7000 files to 980, and vice versa. But the latest version of Pronto Edit did fix a few issues like this.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'll try and install the newer software again in the morning.

Hmmmm so who else has one that DOES rattle?

Slightly gutted to discover a permanent blue pixel in the bottom left hand corner too :(

9. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My RU970 rattles - as you say, like a little piece of plastic is floating about inside - then again I didn't buy mine new and didn't pay over £500..............

If its bugging you now get it returned Pronto..............[groan]

10. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Does the 970 have a pick up sensor also?

11. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes I believe it does.

12. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, well I'm hoping that is what causes the rattle as dennis has one that rattles too, although mjn dpesn't have the problem but thats a TSU7000 (not that there is an internal difference I'm sure).

Still trying to work out how to get access to bitmaps stored in pcf files, no luck so far...!

13. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    the rattle is i believe a tiny ball bearing that moves as you pick up remote,this makes contact and lights the screen,dont worry about it,it's been discussed in remote central by a lot of new owners,dont get paranoid,just enjoy :D

14. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Silver,

Apart from the above, you are pleased then? Was it worth it?

I got outbid on an RU980 on ebay...it went for £495 in the end

Still seriously tempted!!! :devil: :suicide:

Cheers

JJ

15. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  16. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    YES!! Apart from the small niggles I have had its more than worth it!

I have started building my own buttons and backgrounds today and whilst its great to design them on the pc its something else to see them on the remote looking just as good! I am absolutely loving it :D :clap:

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    You'd think on a $600 remote, they'd have used a mercury switch :rolleyes:

18. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yup!!

Can I just say once again how much I love this thing!! I am SO impressed with the screen, the more buttons I am making and the more I am downloading to it to see how things are looking the more I wish I wasn't working tomorrow so I could spend the day making things for it lol

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Thats why the sickie was invented!

20. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also ... is an RF extender required for devices that are closed away in a cabinet?

YES

21. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    not if you use an ir extender.

22. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True,

It really depends on the application ie line of sight in the case of IR, RF interference and range in the case of RF.

23. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hows the remote coming along SIlverpenguin7?

You've had it a few weeks now... got it set up fully? Was it easy to do once you figured it out?

Any negatives?

I'm asking 'cause that place you got it from has it in stock on their website, and there's been one posted on the classifieds forum ;)

24. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry for the delayed reply, my pc at home crashes IE when certain sites load up (this being one of them) and at work forum sites have just been blocked!

Anyway...

The remote is nothing short of stunning! I have just finished (or close to) my first custom setup which I am going to upload to remote central later today (under my name, Richard - in case anyone wants to have a look and a play).

Setting up was easy as its similar to my old pronto, the longest part of setting it up was making all the buttons in Photoshop. Also because you can now use the whole screen to design on it means you have far greater control over how you lay everything out and so you can be far more creative. Keeping one page per device is much easier now which in turn means any visitors should be able to use the remote with next to no help from me.

If you do a logical and nicely layed out setup the screen looks sooo good. You just have to be careful to not fall in to the trap of getting excited by the full colour and going crazy, as no matter how good this remote CAN look, a cluttered, busy screen thats not easy to use will drastically reduce the WOW factor I think.

The battery seems to be ok, its been off charge for about 5 days and shows up half a charge left, but then I have been admiring my handy work by browsing through all the pages I have made lol
    But seeing as it comes with a docking station the battery isn't an issue anyway. I the docking station plugged in to the pc still as I have been fiddling on and off with the layout, so I just leave it on charge over night every 4 days or so. This saves having the docking station sticking out downstairs as well (I like things clean and un-cluttered lol). Plus the way the remote locks on to the docking station doesn't inspire confidence upon removal, so the less I have to this the better!

My only niggle, is that the hard button light is on the side of the remote and only stays on for 5 seconds. Why they did this is beyond me! My old Pronto lit up the hard buttons whenever you pressed one, and you could say how long the stayed on. Having to press a seperate button round the side really is a bad move, and even if you programme the hard buttons to alias themselves to the hard light button it means they don't work as well for any other function thats also assigned. For example, if you make volume up also turn on the backlight for the hard buttons, it will only do the volume in a short burst - so holding it down won't continuosly turn up the volume! Very frustrating!

If your on the verge of getting one...do it! Yes its expensive but if you have the money to spare you will not be dissapointed! Everything about it oozes quality, the look, the feel, the screen, its a great package and the prefect complment to any home cinema setup.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

25. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Great feedback Rich, my 2nd hand tsu7000 should be here early next week so i am
    only a few weeks behind you! ;)

Will keep a lookout for your pcf upload! :)

Cheers

JJ

26. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  27. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Looking good Rich - TSU7000 is here now, so will have a look "real time" at some point.