1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Jun 17, 2002.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    So what the deal with this title? I can't seem to find it on Movietyme or Play - they only have the standard version listed?

Whats everyone doing about getting theirs??

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The standard release is the Criterion edition. It also marks a first as the first CE officially available in Canada.

It seems as though BV & Criterion are getting closer all the time.

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Movietyme have now updated their site stating that the version(s) they are selling are indeed Criterion. I was a little confused, but now it's clear and I've ordered it. Thanks for the reply though.

4. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Traffic is also available as a Criterion Edition in Canada. The spines are different though and although it has 'The Criterion Collection' text on the spine and front they it does not have the Criterion Spine Number (catalog number), just a tacky logo for their distributer.

They have had numerous complaints (one from me) about this and a new cover has been issued, but only for residents in Canada, so we are stuck unless we know anyone over there.

Most web sites were shipping the Canadian version without pointing out it was the canadian version, only Movietyme stated the difference and chargerd more for the US version. I have got the canadian release, same disc but just a bit miffed it doesn't match the rest of my Criterions.

If its improtant to you it might be worth checking thatyou get a US version.

5. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now got the Tenenbaums and althought its a canadian disk they have issued it with a 'proper' criterion cover (incuding Spine Number)

Watched it last night and its a great film. PQ and SQ are up to Criterions usual standards. Havn't got round to viewing the extra's fully yet but they look good.

The booklets etc are similar in style to the Criterion of Rushmore. Well worth the £12.99 (probably the least I've paid for a Criterion 2-disk).

6. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just ordered a copy this morning!whao freeeeky!

have a look on dvdboxoffice.com they are canadian and shipping is free.

excellent site.

what so great about criterion anyhoo?

7. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used dvdboxoffice for 7 months and spent around 800pounds with them.

I was delighted with their service until a disc failed to arrive.

They have spent the past 4 weeks messing me around and ignoring my emails:mad:

By the way, Tenenbaums is a great film:D

8. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    You can get RT Crit for £11.21 delivered from DVDSoon.com

9. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The do special edition disks of 'Classic and important contemporary films ' (their words not mine).

The disks usually have excellent Picture and Sound quility and are crammed full of extras that youy get nowhere else, thay actually commision commentaries and features to put on them.

Thier disc of The Third Man is one of the best i've seen. The restoration demonstration feature on the disks shows how the film has been cleaned up and inproved to the point it almost looks brand new and not 50-odd years old. And their box set of Brazil has to be seen to be believed.

Check out their sire for a look at whats available The Criterion Collection

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have to agree on the pq quality it is excellant - oh and the story is fun too. It's the film to watch last, for more than one, otherwise it's likely to show up what follows pictorially.
    Gene Hackman is one of my fav's and, as ever, delivers the money shot as and when required - his henchman reminded me of Hong Kong Phooey's cat Spot. Queen Sob herself is great lurking about in the background and all. Angelica Houston always fits the wacky or wacked out films with aplomb - particularly for anyone who's seen her in The Grifters. And Danny Glover portrays the humble but amuzing cum kickass accountant surely.
    There are some very nice subtle touches and oneliners which I'll resist spoiling the body of evidence.
    Well worth it.

11. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    can someone tell me if the criterion tenenbaums is R1 or R0. apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer anywhere

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i thought the picture was a bit over the top seemed very bright on my set an i have contrast an brightness set at 38 an 40 ????

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so I wonder why Armageddon and The Rock are in there?!

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looked fantastic on mine. Very colourful and sharp transfer.
    Nothing wrong with those movies :eek: although hardly important contemporary movies, granted. Armageddon is a bad Criterion edition as well - non anamorphic.

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Those movies are included as they make for significant profits, thus allowing Criterion to afford to restore and issue the more 'arty' films that make up the bulk of their output.

I wouldn't say the Crit Armageddon is bad just because it's non-anamorphic. As letterbox editions go it's one of the better ones around. I agree anamorphic is better assuming a 16:9 display, but the reasons behind the decision at the time were sound. Besides, if you want the movie does it really matter? It never did in the heyday of Laserdisc.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does to me who has a w/s TV. The R2 2-disk is anamorphic so may as well buy that (which I did)! Plus, the problem with buying non-anamorphic releases is that you just know that 9 times out of 10, they'll release the anamorphic version later. I hate buying the same movie twice, so would rather wait :)

I avoid non-anamorphic NTSC anyway - the scan lines are just too prominent on a CRT, unless you have some digital processing to fill them in (which I don't).

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If all my DVDs looked as good as the non-anamorphic CE Armagedon I'd be very happy. A single adjustment to the aspect ratio in Dscaler and its one of the best DVD transfers out there.