1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Royal Mail... moans and opinions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stevethone, Sep 21, 2004.

1. stevethone

stevethone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just wanted to see what people's experiences with the Royal Mail were, as I'm sure a lot of us here order DVDs and other things online.

In my experience they are generally completely useless. My post never arrives before 10am, and usually more around midday, but it can be anytime, totally irregular. My post is always - ALWAYS - late, items sent first class take 3 days or more to arrive. If stuff won't fit through the letterbox they'll leave it outside next to my front steps in full view of anyone walking past, often without even bothering to ring the doorbell.

I'm sick of the shoddy "service" they offer, and I'm sure most online retailers would be bothered if they knew, because it must be losing them customers.

2. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I really agree with this but I wish my post was as good as Rolf Harris' seems to be.

In West London the post service has virtually collapsed.

Earlier this year it stopped entirely for about 10 days then resumed spasmodically. We were told by our postie that half the staff had been laid off as a cost cutting exercise and the rest couldn't cope. We had some parcels sent to us that took 10 weeks to get here, other post was lost entirely. At present we are missing two parcels - birthday presents for our 3 year old - that were sent 3 weeks ago. Maybe they'll arrive in time for Christmas. The only thing that works is to use guaranteed next day delivery. Amazon had the sense to use that for the Star Wars trilogy...THAT arrived on time.

As a last wonderful detail our normal time of delivery, if it happens, is between 1.00pm and 5.00.
    The sooner the Post Offices monopoly is removed the better

3. stevethone

stevethone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ... and I forgot to mention about a month or so ago, all my post over the period of a week (about 5 items from different places) all went missing, despite post still being delivered.

I've heard that because the road I live in is pretty long, it's a gruelling task and no postie wants to do it. But, you know, I don't really want to work I Sainsbury's, but I need the money so I have to.

I'm in South East London, by the way.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Our royal mail post is generally fine (London) .

Parcelforce are the kiss of death though ,I've never had a good experience with them.

Their classic is with items bought abroad that require duty and tax paying on them. Instead of bringing them to the door and recieving payment they hold onto the parcel and send out a letter 2nd class to tell you about the duty and arrange delivery.

So an item from Japan takes 3 months to be made is shipped from Japan and arrives in the UK less than 24 hours later : then sits in a parcelforce depot for 3 days until someone writes a letter , this takes another 3 days to arrive , they don't deliver at weekends so it will have to go out on the following monday , it doesn't arrive , rearrange delivery the following day , doesn't turn up , phone them up they promise its gone out then they promise it will go out tomorrow so they were effectively lying to me the first time.

The parcel finally arrives on the Friday ( two weeks after shipping from Japan) . I have to pay the duty and tax ( which I don't mind) plus a service charge from parcelforce ( plus a credit card fee if I wanted to pay by card) in addition to paying 20quid for the courier costs in the first place.

What object was this huge feat of transportation in aid of?

A fountain pen...

5. DamH

DamH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Letter are OK, anything DVD shaped has a 20% chance of not making it. I've had about 10 DVD's go missing over the past couple of years. There is no other explanation than they've been stolen by the postman... personally the second every single postman is fired and replaced by a robot cannot come soon enough for me.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    :D Should have gone to WHSmiths :D

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I nearly got run over on a zebra crossing this morning by a Royal Mail van!

As for service, I still find them miles ahead of ParcelForce.

A couple of years back, I received a slip saying that I'd received a package from ParcelForce, but since I wasn't in, I had to collect it. The goober that delivered the package wrote the wrong # on the slip. I called to find out where I had to go, and the # didn't come up as valid. (not enough digits) I said that he/she must have written the number down wrong, so could the engineer find out my package based on my name/address. She said no, she could not find out anything about my package without the number! :eek: Apparently, their system had no other way of searching for packages. (yes, I'm well aware that that must be BS)

I asked how I could find out about my package, and she said to enquire with the company I bought it from. BUT I DIDN'T ORDER ANYTHING!!! Someone had sent me something, and they had no way of finding out what it was.

To this day, I still don't know what the package was.

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am in the minority but I can't complain about royal mail at all!

All my post arrives on time. First class post arrives the very next day almost without exception.

Everything I seem to post to people arrives on time as well. I have sent stuff to London thats ended up delayed though but that's about it (Even then never more than a day or 2 late).

NEVER had anything go missing in the post either. Be it stuff I've sent or stuff that's been sent to me (including upwards of 800 dvd's) . Twice had stuff damaged that I'd sent (both dvd's), both times they were sent first class, never recorded/special delivery. Sent off a claim form and had a cheque for full purchase plus postage arrive through the door about 10 days later :smashin:

9. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I generally find Royal Mail to be reasonably reliable and usually can expect mail between 10am and 2pm. If a parcel is too big for the letter box they usually send a slip to collect from the Post Office, assuming nobody is home.

As I reckon the postman probably hates delivering to me as there nearly always seems like theres something in the Mail

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I've never been particularly impressed with royal mail. My first gripe is they still deliver their parcels during office hours, and about 99% of people who order parcels, work during office hours to afford to order them in the first place, hence aren't going to be in to take collection! I personally think you should be able to register your house as a night delivery address, and there should be postman who deliver between 6pm and 10pm every night. Since they all bitch about their wages anyway, they'd probably be happy to get time and a half for working evenings.

I'm also unimpressed by the sorting office where I live. Portsmouth is a major city (as far as major cities in the south of england go) and the main sorting office doesn't even have a computer system to log the parcels! You go in there and give them your collection card, and they scour through a shoddily handwritten book to find your parcel, and then go and hunt for it in the completely unsorted shelves in the back room. I'm in half a mind to actually write them a freaking database app to store the parcel info in, so i dont have to wait 10 minutes for them to find the log book entry and then another 10 while they go and figure out where they put the parcel!

11. stevethone

stevethone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've remembered another debacle that occured about a year ago.

I ordered a batch of about 7 comics from a website in america. After about a month they still hadn't turned up, so I emailed the website. They said they had just received the package back with a Royal Mail sticker on it reading "we were unable to deliver this item because" it was "not called for".

I had no idea what this meant, so rang Royal Mail. They told me that when a they attempt delivery of a package to a house but get no reply, they leave a card asking you to arrange another delivery date. If you don't, they hold the package for a week or two before returning to sender. A card was never left at my house.

Luckily the website sent out the package again free of charge which I received about a week later, but I felt bad that they were paying to deliver it twice through no fault of their own.

So, I generally have nothing but contempt for Royal Mail. Incidentally, did anyone catch that programme earlier this year, I think on channel 4? It was called "Second Class Post" I believe, an undercover reporter got a job at Royal Mail and secretly filmed some shocking stuff going on. Posties dumping post they couldn't be bothered to deliver, packages thrown about and left scattered on the floor in sorting offices, that kind of thing. They were just generally utterly disorganised and couldn't care less about doing a decent job.

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why all my orders get delivered to my work address. It's a pain having to lug the stuff back home, but it sure beats the hassle of dealing with the depot. If a website doesn't allow delivery to an alternative address, I just don't use them.

I like your night mail idea.

13. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    noo, have you not seen I, Robot? they'll take over the world next!!

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Better robots running the world than the Royal Mail..... :laugh:

15. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've always found that really daft too, especially as the card they leave says "we tried to deliver", if they were really tring to deliver they would turn up 7am - 8am or 6pm onwards at your house!

Anyway, I usually find Royal Mail OK and have rarely had anything go missing, before they disbanded 2nd post I always received post before I left for work. However, since they've stopped 2nd post, there has been a noticeable drop in the level of service; post never turns up before I leave for work, anything I have ordered from a Jersey based supplier takes 5 days rather than 1 to 3 days it took before.

Worst thing happened yesterday, I had the day off and like many people was expecting the Star Wars DVD; I hear something drop through the letterbox at 9.20/9.30am, so I go to check and find only a couple of letters, no box set (sometimes in the past any large packages have been left in our porch) and no 'we tried to deliver card'. At this point I'm thinking maybe it will be delivered later by van; at 1.20pm I spot a postman across the road (weird as there's no longer supposed to be 2nd post) and sure enough he heads towards my flat, I wait by the door expecting the bell to go and instead hear something dropped through the letterbox. It's a 'we tried to deliver' card, the time on the card is 10am (eh?), so I run across the road and stop the postman and say about him only just delivering the card and that I've been in all day. "I didn't think you were in" said the postman (weird, how can he tell without ringing the bell?), he doesn't have the package and says he can deliver it again tomorrow! To cut a long story short, I collect the package from the sorting office and find it's actually 2 (Star Wars & Godfather Trilogy), so it looks like the 'we tried to deliver' card was filled out in advance and the postman never tried to deliver the packages due to their size and forgot to deliver the card 1st time round!

16. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I try to get stuff delivered to my work address, partly for convenience but also because its a more reliable service than home.
    The main problem is that companies will often only deliver to the cardholder address when paying that way.

I have had many bad experiences with Royal Mail :thumbsdow

17. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I used to get the "we tried to deliver" notes through the door all the time, despite working from home 99% of the time, and having my desk in my office looking down the drive so I can see the postie.

After a few complaints to my postie after catching him trying this trick I eventually got him to admit that they left most of the parcels back at the village sorting office as it made the bag to full/heavy, and what with most people not being in meant that he had to lug the heavy bag round all day.

So now my post comes via the van if I have any parcels or packages, only took me a few months to train them. ;)

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree there should be an optional evening / night service, but I wonder how much people would be prepared to pay for this, bearing in mind it costs about 10 times what it would normally cost, just to have something delivered on a Saturday from Parcel Force!

I also believe there are some light fingered postmen out there. What can be done about this? There's no proof that the postie has nicked your DVD, so what's stopping them? Anyone on this planet will realise that the Star Wars DVDs have just been released, and that there will be plenty of DVD Box Set sized parcels floating round in the post. I wonder how many of those will go missing?

Having said that, my post is usually quite reliable, only in that most of the time, things do arrive. Times are, at best, variable, and I can expect my post at anytime from 8am to 3pm. I have had three DVDs go missing in the past 18 months though, but none of the bloody household bills ever disappear in the post!

19. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Weren't the Post Office considering a new service where you could specify your local post office as the delivery address, and then pick stuff up from them at your leisure?

That would be better for me than the hassle of having to try and get to the sorting office during their more limited opening times.

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think you can do that with Parcel Force items now, but only after they've left a card saying they tried to deliver. The nominated PO charge 50p for the service.

21. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    My local PO made a decision NOT to deliver the Star Wars boxsets, and pre fill out all the cards.

This was just due to the sheer volume of parcels they had! When I went with my friend to get his, you could see all the play/amazon etc boxes just piled high in the back room!

22. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I expect mine is in a pile somewhere too. I tend to get loads of parcels in one go, so I'm sure they save them up. Mine shipped from DVD Import on 17th, so should arrive any day now.

23. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I would like to praise the Mail :) I had an Avia DVD that I sold go missing in the post, so I went through RM's compensation procedure. It was a painless experience and two weeks after putting in my claim a cheque for £26.00 turned up! Top marks from me ;)

24. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my star wars boxset was delayed expecting it a week before the official release. But low and behold on the sunday before the monday release at 2:00 pm the postman turns up with star wars and 10 laserdiscs i had got from ebay(which were also late) Postie was said he was sorry for the delay but due to the amount of back log they had they were working a couple of sundays to post the stuff out. George Lucas is now affecting royal mail now. And time wise i can expect post from anytime between 7:30am and 5:00pm?????? crazy

25. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I agree with most of what has been said about the royal mail but I find ALL delivery companies are useless - pacelforce, parceline, citilink etc. my worst incident was with FedEx - expected a parcel on the monday...didn't arrive....I was in the house all week and THREE cards were dropped through on Wednesday to say that they tried delivery Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and no-one was in. This was a complete lie. Then to cap it all when I complained and rearranged delivery they didn't even ring the doorbell - they left the parcel in the rain and FORGED a signature of a non-existant neighbour. I sent a letter of complaint but this was also ignored. These delivery people are a bunch of useless, lazy lying b**tards.

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111

So you are praising them for losing your parcel and refunding you the money you paid for it?

27. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My gripe with Royal Mail is the length of time it takes them to get a card to you to tell you that you have to pay customs fess on an item.

DVD Soon shipped Star Wars to me on 15th September and it arrived charge-free on 21st. But they shipped Everwood S1 and Law & Order S14 two days earlier (13th) and they have not yet arrived. I'm resigned to the fact that they are going to incur charges but what takes RM so long to let me know this ?

Answers on an e-mail please as I might not receive your postcards.

28. neilos70

neilos70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im not surprised at all to hear things go missing for other people too...i run a dance music record store in north london & also operate on the web www.udm.co.uk (apologies for the shameless plug but it wont happen again - honest!)

i get 10 parcels a week go missing and their track & trace service online is appalling. I use 1st class for everything and this does not guarantee a thing. It arrives late or goes missing from the posties bag as 12" vinyl is pretty difficult to disguise!!!
    ive looked at alternatives but to send anything via a courier or parcelforce is damned expensive and with the case of dvd`s the e-tailers would not be able to offer free delivery using these services, so it looks like royal snail have it sewn up really.

29. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got an email yesterday from DVDSoon regarding an order I had totally forgotten about. I ordered it ages ago, and DVDSoon had just received it back, claiming that I hadn't picked it up. It was just over the £18 limit, so I guess there was import duty, but they never bothered to inform me of this.

I assume it was Royal Mail, as it was the free DVDSoon delivery option. On the plus side, DVDSoon was very understanding, and sent out a replacement without hesitation.