The Road to Perdition – pre DVD release / cinema review.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Brad_Porter, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ---------------
    The Road to Perdition – pre DVD release / cinema review.

Went to the cinema a few weeks ago to see The Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks, Paul Newman and Jude Law and was pleasantly surprised by what I had seen.

Hanks, Newman and Law are ALL beautifully cast in this slow paced gangster style movie that keeps you watching to the end. The end, however, is a forgone conclusion from the start but its the story in-between that really makes the film and the end just becomes a means to an end and not the most important part of the film.

The story is based around a family member (Hanks) who works in a mob and becomes a victim to his own world. Not taking this lightly, he fights back hard with all that he has learnt and against some of the closet and dearest friends. As a sideline, his relationship with his son is looked into and the two develop a special and new bonding as the film goes on.

Even at the cinema, there is some fabulous use of sound in what was an overall quiet score; on par with a film such as Schindlers list I would say. The movie will need a good Cinema to DVD audio transfer to bring to life the atmosphere that is needed for such a powerful and dark film.

The films main scenes concentrate on dark nights and dingy moments so, once again, the transfer will have to be good here to stop the picture from being blocky as dark movie’s are generally more difficult for DVD players to decode. However, after the good transfers such as Lord of the Rings and The Others, transfer problems for darker scenes may start to be a thing of the past. Also, this is definitely a film for the big screen or widescreen TVs or home projectors. Some of the camera angles and scenes require the sense of space or isolation that Hanks encounters on his journey.

The film is superb in what it delivers and, sensibly, moreover isn’t full of American 'Ill give you what you want rubbish' except for a small script slip at the end which is designed to just 'reinforce' his wishes in case the audience didn’t get it. Americans have become used to having everything labelled. Which is a shame as it leaves your brain dormant. Another shinning example of this is actually in Schindlers List where a swooping scene over the concentration camp revealed a huge welcoming sigh in metal saying 'Auschwitz'. Yeah. We kind of guessed it was a prisoner of war camp. Just had to make sure that the audience knew what it was.

I predict this will definitely be one for the collection as long as detail is paid to the subtle score and the tough dark scenes. Although it wont test your system sonically too hard, you should feel yourself being drawn in by the dark cold atmosphere that mimics the world they live in.

---------------

I am not quiet sure if any of you find me reviewing movie films (pre-DVD release) any good. I guess it might seem pointless. However, if I am wasting you time, politely ask me too stop and I will not do this again! Otherwise Ill just be writing in vain.

Look forward to your hoorays or 'sod off's!!!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    One hooray from me. It's nice to read such a well-written review of the actual film instead of arguments about aspect ratios, DTS vs DD, R1 or R2 etc, etc. It seems that around here the technical aspects of a disk become more important than the content of the film.

After reading this review, I intend to buy the DVD as soon as it is available....now which online supplier has it cheaper:rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming Brad, you write better than Jonathon Ross et al ever could. A bit of Yank bashing doesn't go amiss either:devil:

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for comments. A few more and Ill keep writing!