1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by orbs, May 22, 2004.

1. orbs

orbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm new here, and am not ready to purchase a projector, but since I'm new, I was hoping to get some thoughts from those with more experience.

I'm thinking about getting a projector or flat TV for DVD watching, and computer gaming. Since computer gaming is higher resolution, I don't know what's available / what the costs are. I would want to play at 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024, and I hear DLP is the best technology for either projectors or flat TV's.

What are my choices?

Thanks!

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much do you want to spend? What will be your ratio of computer use to dvd use?

The choice isnt trivial and there are alot of factors that would make one or other model better. DLP is good but you might be susceptible to rainbows which could irritate the hell out of you (they did me!), they are also generally quite dim and my feeling is that the machines I have seen dont handle motion just as well as some LCD projectors.

So if you will use the machine mainly for computer, potentially have ambient light to deal with and are looking to spend sub £1.5k..... then definitely LCD is your man with my choice being the sony hs20 then the slightly cheaper panasonic AE500 or sanyo plv-z2.

If you want mainly for dvd in a totally light controlled environment and dont see rainbows and are willing to pay upwards of £1.5k then there are a few potentials on the dlp front that I would suggest. There are machines from optoma (H56 and H30?)and infocus (4800 which i dont recommend because very prone to rainbows) which would be at the lower end of your budget, if you want to spend up to about £2.5k then you will have better options from sharp (z200) and infocus (5700) then above that there are loads of choices like NEC if you want a 4:3 panel, benq 8700+ if you want alot of projector for your money, sim if you want a classy machine with a longer throw..... from there it becomes a 'how long is a piece of string' type question :D

ad

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Orbs - welcome to the forum :smashin:

you mention TV or front projection so consider what your viewing conditions are and how often you will want to use the system during the day - the projector will look washed out and dull with anything more than idle reading lights on!!! If this is a day-to-day TV replacement, then you should really get another TV or if budget allows a plasma :D

DLP will generally give you less resolution for the pound, but a picture that will offer better black levels and black detail to an LCD, and a far higher contrast. As buns points out if the budget is nearer £1k to £2/3k then LCD will be your beast - not least of all because this money now gets you 1280 x 720 resolution (see the new Hitachi PJ-TX100). If you are way up in £2-3k territory then you can go for the highest spec LCD and still have some money in your pocket, or you can sacrifice some of that resolution and go for the better colour and contrast of the DLP models offerring 1024 x 768 resolution or chopped down to 1024 x 576. If you've got loadsmoney then the Hitachi HC2000 will be out soon which is a 1280 x 720 resolution DLP at £5000 rrp.

Also bear in mind the PC games you will play and the ratio of games viewing to other viewing. Your games will very likely be a 4:3 resolution and with some widescreen PJs this will only use the 4:3 section of the screen (which is fine unless you plan to mainly use it for gaming in which case it will eventually annoy!!).

If you do a search on all the various bits mentioned in replies i'm sure you will find posts from others in a similar situation to yourself

Hope this helps!