1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right Choice

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mafridi, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have 3 options to choose from. My main use is HT music is 10% :

1. arcam av8/p7, kef xq5,3,2c, arcam dv78 and kef psw3000 sub
    2. lexicon mc-4, cx-5, m&k s150 THX (all 5) + m&k mx-350 mkII
    3. meridian 568.2, 568v2, 598 DVD, dsp 6000, 5500c, 5000

the meridian is ex-demo with warranty. the other equipment is brand new. the meridian is more than double the cost but is it justified. Can I look at any of them as a 5+ year investment?

please help

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    May not help your decision but Superfi currently have 50 quid knocked off their usual PSW3000 price meaning it is now only 299.95. :eek:

Offer ends Monday at midday.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Finding someone who's heard all of that kit may be easier said than done; I've heard quite a bit of it - parts of each system really, and my gut reaction if movies really are the top priority is that the Lexicon/M&K setup looks superb. I know of several people who truly don't rate the Meridian DSP speakers, and the speakers on the Arcam setup are in a lower class.

In fact looking at your kit, I'd say the Arcam/M&K combination would work extremely well, the Lexicon and M&K may be a touch harsh on the ears, depending on your listening environment. Speaking of which, what kind of environment are you using this kit in? i.e living room, dedicated room etc...carpets, soft furnishings?

Also don't discount the Meridian G68J as it's the only one out of all the kit you've listed above that features room correction; not something to be sniffed at tbh.

4. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Looking at those systems,it doesnt look like you could potentially go that far wrong with any of them.....they all look pretty well matched .It all boils down to what type of sound really floats your boat. If i were you ,i would try & arrange some auditions.

Dan :)

5. mafridi

mafridi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for your response. the room is marbled with very little furniture so the sound bounces alot. the guy has suggested some treatments to improve the acoustics which I will try. You say the M&K/Arcam is a good choice. How about the Kef reference 207 or 203 for fronts, 201 (rears) and 204C with the M&K Sub and the Arcam kit. The Meridian is really expensive and I could get the Arcam kit with M&K or the Kef reference much cheaper.

still confused

6. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would look at the first setup, but with Velodyne sub instead of the Kef.

Have you also considered a Rotel RSP-1098/RMB-1095 and a Denon 2910 with a Velodyne?

Fish

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The latest Kef Ref`s are great,but need v.hi quality amplification as they are very neutral/analytical,however,feed them properly & they are out of this world. I notice that your room has marbled floors so maybe wise to go for a processor with room correction.

Dan :)

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why worry treating the room when you could have Room EQ on the Meridian G68J it really does wonders for rooms with poor acoustics and it is approx the same price as the Lex MC4.

9. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I would imagine a room with lots of marble and minimal furniture will have problems with higher frequencies than that of the Meridian's Room Correction operating range. Auralex or similar would be a better starting point in this instance.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Quite right Scott, but who in their right minds would want auralex in a living room with marble floors and minimal furniture? A processor with room correction (even if the Meridian can't correct anything really high, it can still do much of the frequency range) would definately be a good starting point.

11. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Marble floors and M&K speakers soundslike a recipe for splashy screechy sound to me. I'd definitely try to listen at home before I bought that.