1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right choice...at last

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Xtrips, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been a while.
    I finally managed to hear the difference between an EC EMC1MKII connected through an AV32R with and without bypass, and through the an EC ECI4.7 pre, and all of these through the same other elements (power amp, cables, speakers, etc...).

The AV32R is no match, period!

Although I made my choice buying the EC pre before I could check the AV32R with bypass, I obviously didn't make any mistake.
    It is a bit of a hassle when I watch a movie, I have to set the EC pre to a certain volume first, then all the controls are through the AV32R. Not so bad, I am getting used to it.

Now I am testing cables, XLRs actually, between the CDP and the PRE. I already heard the original Electrocompaniet, and 2 Vandenhul's, the Thunderline and the Integration.
    All these still don't match my DHLabs Air Matrix rca cable (I heard they are the same make as Siltech).

I have been advised to go for Synergistic Research Kaleidoscope, Cardas or Transparent cables.

Any advises Please ?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with your general conclusion and my set up takes a similar (ish) route.

Before you go spending fortunes on cable, I bettered a thunderline with IBM cable costing about 50p a meter...... if you realy want the best cables and dont want to spend thousands..... i suggest you take a spell at reading up on DIY sites.

ad

3. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose I didn't get it. You mean the Vandenhul's Thunderline ? And what is IBM doing in here ? You mean the blue giant of computers ?

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yup. IBM Type-1 and Type-6 Token Ring network cable apparently makes very good interconnects.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah.... im using type 6 IBM cable, it replaced the vdh thunderline. There are much better designs for cables out there, but they take a lot more time to construct

ad