The Richer Sounds Experience

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tailwind, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tailwind

tailwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I requested a demo of Pioneer 51FD and Panasonic BD35 with Kingston Richer Sounds two weeks ago. The said they had some stock in the demo room so they couldn't do it last week. They asked me to call this week. So I called on Wednesday and they still said they had stock in the demo room and they couldn't do it. So I asked them if they could just play both the players on the shop floor and the manager said yes and he encouraged that I should purchase a player before next month as the prices are going up.

I couldn't turn up on Wednesday, so I rushed from work today to get there at 6.20 but they refused to connect the players to a screen on shop floor. They just couldn't be bothered. :nono:

The only reason I went to them, nobody else nearby had both the units. Sevenoaks in Walton refused to demo as they said they don't do demo on units of this nature (cheap!).

I always hated Richer Sounds. This just confirmed my feelings.:mad:

2. breeville

breeville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    be creative

do this....

write the name of the two things on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket.
    have lots of notes (money) in the same pocket.

walk into the store and act dumb till one of them offers you help.

tell them you need a full home cinema system aka tv/dvdplayer/amps etc but have been recommended the sound sytem and show them the paper.

then they will usck up to you.

i dont blame them for not caring as they must do alot of demos for people wasting their time. if you want to really buy one then let them know.

dont mention other places...tell them sopmeone referred you there.

generally ive been fine with them and had no worries. only purchased 2 things in last 6 years from them. they were very helpful.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Personally I find that attitude worse myself :thumbsdow

It's hardly as if Sevenoaks stores are busy like RS'.

I've always found RS to be pretty amenable.

Couldn't you have offered to have paid for both on the understanding that you'd be taking one back, if they couldn't demo?

Don't forget they have a no quibble returns policy too, so they could hardly have refused anyway.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

4. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Gotta say I find Richer Sounds very helpful. That said, they don't like demo-ing cheap stuff and I don't blame them. They're a discount "outlet". They pile them high and sell-em cheap with a big smile and a wave. They're nice and helpful but they don't go the extra mile because they're on a tiny margin.

Now Sevenoaks, I really detest. They're on full RRP and they don't budge. They should have let you demo. They charge the earth because they think they provide "service". So they damn well should. That's one reason I never ever shop in Sevenoaks. (Although my first hi-fi in 1993 came from them, when they were an utterly different store with about 3 branches and such an unbelievably helpful "enthusiasts" attitude. Then they went RRP and it all went down hill. I hate RRP retailers.

TLC sound like the perfect balance to me. Fair price, excellent service. Just what you need. As far as I can tell from the posts on here.

5. tailwind

tailwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Two weeks ago I phoned Kingston Richer Sounds to organise a demo for Panny BD35 and Pioneer 51FD. They told me that the demo room was not available as it had some stock in it and asked me to call again this week. I called again on Wednesday and the manager told me that there is still stock in the demo room and therefore I could pop to the store and have a look on one of the shop floor screens. I wasn't able to go on Wednesday. They told me it is advisable to purchase a player before February as the prices are going up.

I rushed there at 6.20 last night after work, only for them to say they can't play them at all. It was as they couldn't be bothered!

I remembered why I don't like Richer Sounds. What a waste of time!

I submitted the same thread yesterday and it has been removed!

6. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes i fine it funny that when someone tell the true about a bad experience
    the mod's seem to remove them,this happened yesterday on the projector thread,something needs to be sorted here as people need to be warned

7. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    That's bizarre. I thought I'd already read this one... Surely feedback is feedback, good or bad should be shared without removing threads (providing no legal implications, of course)?

8. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Why not write/e-mail Julian Richer

From my dealings over the years I'm sure he'll sort it:hiya:

9. Import racer

Import racer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    They advertise on this site, no other explanation needed,

Besides my local did mess me about over an HDMI cable for weeks a couple of years ago, but apart from that have had very good service from them for many years they usually do what it says in the tin, and provide cheap goods with cheap service what do you expect and they are only human.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. tailwind

tailwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Yeah, but they didn't have to say come round we'll show you the players in action and when I turn up, refuse to do it?

11. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    agree, time wasters they just can't be bothered

12. RODCULL

RODCULL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Were they actually expecting you when you did eventually turn up? Perhaps (40?) minutes before closing time on the last day of the week/month wasn't the most opportune moment for a demo. ..

13. tailwind

tailwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh, don't give them excuses. I did try and ask for a proper demo which they couldn't do. I just wanted to see the players on the shop floor. They were demoing some speakers for someone else. How long does it take to plug in a HDMI cable and stick in a disk? I wasn't expecting any ISF calibration....

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So you're suggesting that the forum owner and moderators are dishonest now. I think that we can do without your stupid comments for two weeks.

For everyone else's information the thread was removed from the Blu-ray players forum as that area is to discuss Blu-ray players and not to winge about retailers and the thread starter was sent a PM informing him of that.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If RS geared back up to providing demo's they'd have to increase their margin to sustain the cost. Then we'd see threads about them not being as cheap any more, and how that reduced price matching potential at John Lewis. :rolleyes:

16. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    A friend of mine rang RS in Belfast to ask if they had a particular AV receiver in stock. He was told they had one so he asked if he could reserve it and would be down in 30 mins to collect. The sales guy said he would do this. When he got to the shop another totally disinterested sales guy told him he'd just sold the amp to someone who had walked in off the street looking for the same amp.

My friend then asked if he picked a different amp and speaker cable would they do him a deal based on the fact he'd been let down on the original amp. Totally Disinterested refused as "we don't do discount on cables". So my friend just walked out of the shop. Then, remembering the old RS ads of yesteryear, he wrote to Julian Richer and explained what had happened, mentioning Totally Disinterested by name. The upshot was that he got an apology, £50 compo for the way he was treated and was told to take the letter to the shop, show it to a sales advisor and he would get a hefty discount on whatever he wanted to buy.

He walked into the shop with the letter, showed it to Totally Disinterested, said "that's you, btw", got his discount, free extended warranty and a really good, smug feeling.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Good tactic by the owner!!

18. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Speak as you find I guess - Cheap and cheerful and pretty knowledgable. Can depend on your approach a bit. However, from time to time you can meet a dick in any store from M&S to Comet. (OK more likely to in Comet!).
    On balance I think RS seem OK to me 4whatitsworth - broadly does what it says on the tin.
    BoaT:)

19. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    On the subject of TLC, I ordered a Pioneer LCD TV from them last Tuesday and I haven't been that impressed with the service so far. I selected the 'Free Delivery' option as it quoted 2-4 days but it's now 4 days later and it hasn't even been sent yet despite being in stock and my order status being changed to 'Released for Delivery' on the day I bought it.

I really wish I'd paid the extra and gone for Next Day Delivery now because it's taking ages and I have no idea why. On the positive side, they do reply to e-mails very quickly.

20. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Are you sure it wasn't just moved?

I've crossed the line loads of times on here and indeed still have points on my card :rolleyes:
    But I wouldn't say the forums go madly out of their way to protect the advertisers, if you have a legitimate bitch.
    At least, I hope not.
    I've just seen someone have a moan at TLC, who are advertisers on here (I think), for example.

That said,

IANJ

As self appointed defence for Import Racer, I don't think he was calling anyone dishonest, tbh.
    More biased as in the mags, imo.
    Which is fair comment, even if it's wrong.
    It's not as though it's been a repeated thing is it?
    ( I hope I'm not wrong, I've always found him a decent poster)

M'lud, I appeal the sentence and ask for a reduction :rolleyes:

Joking aside, I thought it seemed a bit harsh :(

21. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565

I think that is terrific.

AVSales made an error on an order I'd made and the delivery was on a Friday (I ordered all new SVS 5.0 speakers and stands). Instead of two pairs of surrounds and a centre I got two centres and a pair of surrounds (moreover, the stands weren't right either). Errors happen, we all make them. The thing is I had a buyer on these forums coming round early Sunday to pick up my old speakers, and mates coming round to watch a movie Sunday evening.
    Having explained all this to the chap at AVSales (on the Friday after the error had been made), he arranged a special Saturday delivery of an extra pair of SVS surrounds, and they arrived promptly. Moreover, the stands weren't held in stock but simply ordered as needed from the manufacturer, and he did the same for an extra pair of stands too. Must have cost them a fortune.

Great service.

22. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565

My local store got rid of demo rooms because "people often spend all day in them and buy nothing". That was a few years ago. Now the demo room is back. :smashin:

23. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Even RS Birmingham don't do demos :(

That said, I've also noticed they're coming back.

Hopefully Julian Richer has realised that people don't necessarily swallow what the mags put out anymore and people like to see/hear for themselves :smashin:

24. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I have been to the RS in Belfast at the back of Castle court and had no issues with them. Nor with my local in prestwich. They added some free speaker cable when I last used them.

Just let me get this right......The story goes ask RS to demo some kit advised that to call in on X day. Ended up calling to store on Y. Asked to demo kit and was told no.

I really don't know of any other store that will allow you to demo kit. Maybe they could have done it for another day.

25. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    I purchased my current receiver from RS online. The after sales support started off OK..... then when I emailed same person with some more questions in not so many words he told me to stop pestering him :eek:

Trouble is... if I decide to get the new 640R V2, it can only be purchased from RS. Shame Superfi can't sell them, as I would buy from them with no hesitation whatsoever.

26. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Richersounds in Belfast may have been ok a few years ago but I tried to buy something with their pricematch the other month and had a bad time over the phone, they didn't call me back to confirm the deal and wouldn't speak to me (with customers) when I rang up. I also e-mailed a complaint to richersounds and the director got back to me and said he will be looking into it, he also offered to do the deal I wanted but I would rather order form the net now than travel 40 miles to buy something from a RS store again, unfortunately I forgot the guys name that I made the complaint about so someone couldn't have showed him how to deal with customers.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It would be interesting to hear from the other side of the fence as I'll bet that the RS salesmen have some interesting stories to tell about some of the boorish customers that they have to deal with.

28. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I wouldn't have had a complaint if the guy that I was speaking to rang me back like he said he would do, I phoned him up hours after he didn't ring me and I was told that he had not forgot about me and would ring me back when he finished with a customer, I rang again and got brushed off again and didn't recieve a call, I also didn't make my complaint for a day or 2 after trying to contact the sales assistant. I would also be interested to hear from the sales guy in richersound, and btw I was not boorish or rude in any way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  29. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Ian, I usually believe that you talk a great deal of sense. However, what the poster said had a slight truth in it (though not necessarily about that thread). I have seen other threads vanish when they are about advertisers on this site, and as a private site, I can see why it is done. At the end of the day, we have to accept it.
    Did the thread get moved to the retailers section? Or was it just deleted?
    I believe it was just deleted...

I have seen numerous threads about advertisers where mods have said how great they are, (and yes I have seen lots of threads about other retailers where mods say they are great). But unlike other retailers threads, I dont ever seem to see threads where advertisers have negative comments written about them by moderators. (maybe they are there and I have just been unlucky). Instead they just seem to defend them (like your 2nd post).

In any case, you have maybe over-reacted on this 1 as you didnt need to make personal comments like "we can do without your stupid comments". A purely factual post would be better :thumbsup:

Please dont take this as a dig against moderators, as they generally do a great job. But this site IS moderated, and there always different reasons for this. Perhaps they are contractual, perhaps they are legal... but some of these threads definitely seem to get hoovered up.

30. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    As the mod who deleted the first thread, I can say it had absolutely nothing to do with Richer Sounds being a forum advertiser. It was posted in the BR player forum and the only link was that the OP was looking to buy a BR player. The BR player forum is not the forum for discussion of retailers, it's for the discussion of BR players. :D

The repost was then deleted by another BR player forum mod for the same reasons. However because we wanted to ensure that the forum remianed obviously unbiased the thread was reinstated (both of them) and moved here.

There's no conspiracy :D

But just to keep the theorists out there busy, I've used Richer Sounds many times, and have always found the staff very helpfull, some obviously very knowledgable and enthusiastic about their products and AV in general. I often used Richer Sounds because of their prices, but return because of their service. :smashin:

And I wish more comapnies responded as well as they and other forum advertisers do when things go wrong, because no matter what you do they will from time to time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.