The Revolution Begins! Ashton Names First Squad

Discussion in 'Sport' started by KevD, Jan 2, 2007.

1. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Brian Ashton has named his first England Squad for Six-Nations and has called in a few changes.

Phil Vickery is now the Captain, Jason Robinson is called back out of retirement and a few big names have been left out - Cohen, Barkley, Kay & Sanderson in the Saxons & no Dallaglio or Goode at all!

Quite pleased with the squad particularly the return of Robinson, although I think I would have pefered to see Kay, Sanderson, Abbot & Barkley in the main squad certainly at the expense of Catt.
    Glad to see Wilkinson in the squad, for what its worth and Farrell picked as a back.

I think the changes that have been made are on the whole benifical, especially changing the captain and I am now alot more positive about next month. :thumbsup:

Ashton also picked a very strong Saxon squad ("A" squad) containing some names I mentione above, but also Chev Walker :clap: , Anthony Allen and a returning Richard Hill.
    I am really looking foward to see how Walker does in Union, I think he could be a real find for the Union side ad its great to see Hill back, he may be getting on but he is one of the finest back row fowards in World Rugby at his best.

2. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Could not agree more.

Had the pleasure of playing with him for School & Club. You could not meet a nicer chap. The modesty he displays is not an act, that's just him.

Even at 13, his talent was frightening.

G

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yeah I am very hopefull about this selsction and the future now Dimwit has gone and Ashton is in charge. There are some bold choices there not elast Geraghy Flood and Farrel, Bit sorry not to see Hazel in the mix and Jones demoted to the Saxons. Stll Lund and Rees are good choices at 7 and Brown should do ok.Great to see Robinson back to. I wouldnt underestimate Catt as he has worked wonders at London Irish and understands what Ashton wants to do better than anyone else. He has a lost some pace but would be good to have in the squad maybe come on as sub
    My team to face Scotland

Lewsey,Sackey Tindall , FarreL, Robinson, FLOOD , ELLIS
    Ward Smith , Lund, Worsley, Brown, Palmer, Freshwater, Thompson, Vickery
    Bench
    Catt, Geraghty, Perry, Corry, Jones, Mears, Payne

BOSH!

4. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I just thinnk doing it for L.Irish is one thing (and he's be great) but doing it on the International stage might see him get caught out, but a place on the bench if we need a cool head - I have no problem with that. Tindell has been back to some of his best form recently but Noon has been doing V.well since he came in the side.

This is how I would like to see Eng line up:

Lewsey
    Cueto Farrell/Tait Noon Robinson
    Flood
    Ellis
    Moody Worsley Lund
    Brown Palmer
    Vickery Thompson Freshwater

Sackey & Tindall would be close, havent watched much Bristol so not sure how Ward-Smith is doing (although must be something right!)

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yeah he struggled down under last summer and i'm not sure whether he is physically up to the rigours of international rugby. Jerry Guscutt still rates him highly, though, believing hin to be the man to convey Ashton's playing philosphy on to the rest of the guys. He said that whist he used to get jeered for some of his howlers, he rarely got credit for his creative work in attack.

I remain optimistic:)

You must watch Ward Smith( Kiwi born) if you get the chance - sky sports 2 . He is simply awesome. Great pace and great skills for a number 8 who takes some stopping.Shame he is 29 and not younger. Been languishing at Plymouth for years before Richard Hill discovered him
    I didnt include Cueto because he is injured but he would be my first choice on the wing Ditto a fully fit Wilko. I watched Tinns over the weekend and he is getting back ot his best. Great physical presence and great defence. Kicks well too.Mind you Noon wouldnt let the side down but please not at 12.
    Now bring on the kiwis:D

6. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    England team to face Scotland:
    I Balshaw (Gloucester); J Lewsey (Wasps), M Tindall (Gloucester), A Farrell (Saracens), J Robinson (Sale Sharks); J Wilkinson (Newcastle), H Ellis (Leicester);

P Freshwater (Perpignan), G Chuter (Leicester), P Vickery (Wasps, capt), L Deacon (Leicester), D Grewcock (Bath), J Worsley (Wasps), M Lund (Sale Sharks), M Corry (Leicester).

Replacements: L Mears (Bath), J White (Leicester), T Palmer (Wasps), L Moody (Leicester), P Richards (Gloucester), T Flood (Newcastle), M Tait (Newcastle).

Quite pleased, wasnt expecting to see Wilko back so soon - just hope its not too soon!

Was hoping Corry wouldnt play ;)

Looks more like a winning England Side than I have seen in a while

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Its building blocks time ie one game at a time . Scotland will be a tough nut to crack as they will try and build on last seasons success ie 3 wins . They have also had more preparation time ie no last weekend club games.
    Ashtons picked a good team full of experienced players who'll know the score . Lets hope they can blend well double quick time.