1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Return of the King

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by adi, Dec 17, 2003.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw this today - 10.30am - 1st showing at the local UCI
    ive been trying to think of the right description, or superlative to try and describe what is saw but there just isnt anything !!
    I can say "awsome" or "astonishing" until i'm blue in the face but it just doesnt seem enough. As a film on its own it is truly epic - staggering in its execution and breathtaking in its scope - i am a huge fan of films - all styles and all genres but this is just something beyond.

When you take it in its rightful context - as the closing chapter of a trilogy - when you look at the 3 films as one full saga, in my opinion you are looking at the finest peice of cinema ever - and i honestly cannot see how anyone can top it.

the only downside is - apart from the excrutiating wait till the extended edition - thats it....no more LOTR release to look forward to - next december is going to be a little bit disappointing.

dont wait - just go and see it and be blown away - i'm going again on sunday with my wife - and i'm just as excited about that as i was this morning.

adi

2. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I went at 3pm and, too my suprise, it was not a full house.

No intermissions, no pre-film adverts, comfy seating, good lighting.
    Oh and the film was pretty good as well.......

Next Christmas' releases are going seem so lame compared to this. In fact, many films will now seem so lame. I need to get me a certain DVD boxset.

3. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw it at 11 this morning. I have been looking forward to it all year and especialy after watching the extended version of TTT.

I'd heard a lot of people saying it was the best of the three, however when I left the cinema I wasn't as excited as I thought I would have been. Although the film has some truly impressive battle scenes and some bits that brought a lump in my throat, I felt it didn't quite do it for me!

Now dont get me wrong, it was a good film, and it did everyting I expected from it and more, but it just didn't make me think "That's the best film ever"

Maybe I need to watch it again, or maybe the Extended Editon will do it for me when that comes out!

4. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Best film I've ever seen without a shadow of a doubt. I lost count of the number of times I sat up in disbelief.

I'll comment again when more people have seen it.

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Fantastic film. I left the cinema feeling exalted but exhausted.
    Truly awesome trilogy.

Will never be surpassed? Probably. Quite probably.

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I thought it was a pile of old tosh!!! awful! boring! effects were crap and the acting poor - dont go and see it!!!

NO NOT REALLY!! i fitting end to a fantastic trilogy (are you watching Mr Lucas?) like many others here i'm lost for words as to how to describe what i saw. I was happy, sad and excited. My eyes seemed to leak in a couple of places (strange that), I'm seeing it again on saturday and i cant wait to watch it properly - and try to take it all in.

Lets hope OSCAR has seen it shall we - he didnt seem to see the last two!!!

I urge everyone to go and see it, i really do.

Oh and there was no interval at STAR CITY in Birmingham.

Gary

7. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    STIRRING!

That's my word to describe the film, since "awesome" and other words have already been taken...

It was so exciting I was struggling to breathe sometimes....I really love scenes in films where brave leaders inspire their soldiers to great deeds, even their doom.

I thought Gollum / Smeagol was even better this time round. The Witch-King was excellent.

I must go back.....tonight maybe? But I don't have tickets!

8. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep - It is a real winner. By far the best film of the year - maybe of any other year...

We were even subjected to that rarest of things, the audience applauding at the end! (This is the UK folks....we're usually a more restrained lot :lesson: )

I won't jump into spoiler territory until more people have seen it, but there are very few faults in my opinion (and I am a bit of a Tolkien geek who has read the book more times than is probably healthy :blush:)

Seeing it again on Sunday and I can't wait.

9. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just woke up and after seeing it last night I still can´t get my head round this true epic of our time.
    Thought that after a good nights sleep I could find the words to describe it but they simply don´t exist in our language (maybe in elvish :) )
    People talk of films having an affect on them and I thought that was a load of tosh till now. I have never experienced a film that drew me in so totally as that.
    Congratulations to Peter jackson and all involved for creating three films that can truely be called "Art"
    As mentioned by others, future Decembers will seem very flat. Just hope Mr. Jackson (should be Sir after this) can get the rights for The Hobbit sorted.
    Finally if there is any justice in the world TROTK should sweep the boards at the oscars.
    And all this coming from a Tolkien fan who said they should not even have attempted to make the films in the first place, I stand corrected

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I liked it a lot. I won't quibble over certain CGI sequences and "I'll miss you most of all Scare Crow" ending.

11. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to see it yesterday at Leicester Square and came out utterly exhausted. I have never seen a film that fulfilled all my expectations and actually went past them on a number of occasions. I was actually sitting in the cinema shaking my head in disbelief it was that good at times. ROTK has gone to the top of my personal list of all time favourite films - yes it is that good.

It's not perfect but as a film it is the first truly epic film of the 21st Century and we finally have the first complete trilogy. Best of all Peter Jackson has raised the bar for every other film maker across the globe and that can only be a good thing. And if the academy do not give PJ the best directing Oscar (as I still have my doubts that ROTK will get best film) then the academy need taking outside and shooting.

Go see this film you will not be disappointed

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    is it better than star wars iv???

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    star wars doesnt even come close as it has no where near the emotional depth.

Star wars has been firmly put in its place and the matrix isnt even fit to tie its shoe laces.

gary

14. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Far better than Star Wars and Matrix in my opinion....and I'm a fanatical fan of both!

LOTR is the only trilogy / movie that involves you emotionally as well as great action / visuals.

That said, Star Wars III may be a chance for George to redeem himself.

15. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took the kids to it last night 8:30 - straight through !

Superlatives would be - The dogs!!

Small question though - They cut all of Chris Lee's part, I think because it would have made things too long !? but there were definately alternate contenders for scenes that could have been left out/shortened IMHO. The last 20 mins springs to mind. I did feel that it petered out somewhat but that may be due more to the fantastic battle sequences about an hour before.

Macca

16. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Outstanding, everything that's been said and more. Oscars? It should sweep the board and break all records
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Steve

17. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to see it last night at 6:30 and i have to say that it blew me away .A great end to a great series ,WELDONE MR JACKSON AND TO ALL HOW MADE THE SERIES.
    PS (are u a bit a worried now mr lucas as that ur series is now a load of crap compaired to the lord of the rings .

18. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a bit worried when I heard Saruman was being cut out but I needn't have been. It was a fitting end to the trilogy but I couldn't help feeling it was a bit overcut and that big parts of the story will end up in the extended edition.

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I shouldnt have read this thread as i am now itching to go and see it, i loved the previous two. I have no time though until between christmas and new year :(

20. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Don't go if you have a phobia of spiders :D

21. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    shelob is superb

22. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with inzaman....I am so excit...e..dddd..................ohhh............sorry I've just c@#............ohhhhh...........and again.............:devil:

23. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    so how many of u left the cinema a little sad that next christmas their wont be a Lord of the RIngs Movie

24. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    me. extended dvd though ;)

25. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    This thread should be closed!

Until I've seen it :( :nono: :p :D

26. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    Saw it at 11.30 am yesterday and it completely blew me away, like others I was sat there shaking my head in disbelief at what I was seeing too! An absolutely fantastic film, I would say it's the best film I've seen in many a year and truly fitting end to the trilogy. 3hrs 20 mins, pah didn't feel like half that. Go see it if you even remotely enjoyed the first two, this one is a far easier watch!

Cheers,
    Andy.

27. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw it in Basingtstokes local cinema, because we went with the family, but that is what you call amzing. The screen was at least 3/4 times bigger than my local odeon and the sound was out of this world, giving what me and my uncle would call state of the art sound. Actives all around and for once i could feel the subwoofer grumbling away. Wish they had turned it up a bit though!
    Anyway the film!was well i can't describe it. Emotionally involving, amazing, wikid, whatever but it was the best film i have ever seen. Apart from the end dragging on it was a sensational experience and i definately got my moneys worth as it was 3 and a half hours long.
    fred

28. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was dead good it was

29. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When this is released on Dvd I can see millions of houses rocking with the amount of bass in this film. It was stunning at the Odeon Leicester Square.

30. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Went to Warner Village Bristol (longwell green) for the first showing at 11:00

I arrived what I thought would be early enough at 10:30 to find the place packed out !

ROTK is Simple the most complete film I have ever seen , amazing .................I’m lost for words

I had to stay seated for ten minutes at the end to gather my thoughts and regain some composure!

Can’t wait until next Nov !