1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The report on my Samsung.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mistycat, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have been very worried about the PQ etc due to the fact it will take me a few months to pay for it. Therefore I have been very critical.

Formats viewed, and some of the programmes in those formats.

1. Normal SD television. Programmes were the news, general tv shows such as travel and moving abroad programmes. Shows obviously developed without an 'atmosphere' being created by dark etc. filming.

Result after four days = Excellent in most respects. Depending on the strength of the signal and whether or not it is daylight or night. During the day the programmes appear very very clear but are not as detailed as night (for instance, a very good picture of a face during an interview but you will not see every individual hair in a man's almost shaved face. It is very hard to pick fault as I doubt (this I tested) that a normal person would notice anything at all. At night, or in medium to low light, the pic is totally perfect.

Tv keeping up with movement across the screen = The TV keeps up with quick movement across the screen. I have studied faces chatting and quickly moving and people moving quickly across the screen. I studied this until I thought I could see something, but are not sure whether I did see the pic break up or not. I am still confused by this so I cannot say I could find any fault for sure.

Colours = The pics have excellent colour definition.
    Reflections = None that I could pick out. Could not find any evidence of screen reflection at all during the day time on normal tv.
    Rainbow = Found the tv is so good that you notice faults due to weakness or excess strength of the tv signal. As for the tv, could not really detect any.
    Other problems = Did not notice any.

In general = Very strong speakers. TV will turn up very loud without distortion. A bit more base would be good, but I have not really fiddled with the equalizer yet, so cannot make a judgement here until I do. I thinkt the expectation is that one would have a sound system plugged in for movies etc (as I have).

Sky+ digital.

Wow, excellent, beyond belief on some channels. I can see how the tv won all the awards, especially when one considers Sky as it is now, then going to HD. I think the set will really improve out of sight when HD is released.
    I tested dark grainy programmes such as Law and Order early episodes on Hallmark. The pic definition was great (compared to my LG RD21 DLP - which was good), but a bit less than my 32" Sony 1998 model traditional TV. Not much less though, probably less than 10%. Also tested football in SD aerial and SD Digital Sky. You can see the definition difference between analogue and digital signal. Digital can be twice as good. Another programme of this form was Enterprise. Very good here. Watched Sky movie 1 with Bad Boys II. Wow, this was fantastic.

Facial definition during daylight on sky very good. High contrast, for example, when weather person was delivering you could really tell she was standing in front of the weather screen. You did feel you could almost see around her arms to behind her. Older programmes, such as on the History Channel, also good.

My conclusion = At times the pq on Sky matches the best plasma, depending on the programme, channel, whether digital or not etc. My opinion is, that with HD, the pq will easily beat a plasma. I can watch the tv during the day with curtains open and still get an excellent picture.

On normal tv and sky the pic is so good you can see a hair or drop of water or smudge on the camera that recorded the actual show! This I found very interesting, as it took me a while to figure out what it was!

DVD =
    Movies watched were 9/11, Windtakers, Saving Private Ryan, and various others. Wow, except for 9/11 (where I was watching an interview and noticed in the background what appeared to be a rainbow effect - the background was white due to a lamp behind the interviewee, and shaded off into dark. I had to stare for a while and say, is it or is it not?- I came to the conclusion after several minutes that is was probably a slight rainbow, consisting of six lines).

Generally on DVD, wow excellent. Using component input from Toshiba two year old surround sound system that cost me about £250. The pq is perfect from what I could see, with no faults. TV keeps up excellent. No picture break up that I could see, or rainbows etc. It was the same on Sky Movie 1 with Bad Boys II.

I will keep testing but I really stare to find anything not really quite perfect with the pq. Personally I would like more definition but this will come in spades with HD (as I have seen HD in US/Canada/Australia, I find all SD lacking definition).

Only really noticed = when an interview was on and the lights were on lighting the room the interview was taking place in, and they were very bright, they reflected off the face of the interviewee meaning his face appeared to be lacking a bit of detail or reflected a bit. I cannot describe it really, but I am sure this is a production fault with lighting not with the tv.

The TV is never going to be perfect, and it is not, but for the price, I find few faults. I would expect it to improve (the pq, definition and all these issues) if I was paying 4 to 5K for the best plasma or some fantastic future DLP, but for 2400, and 50", I find it hard to find fault.

I think, with digital HD, the pq and definition will be so good, that all the other problems will disappear.

The thing I was worried about and would have returned the tv for was rainbow etc effects. I find so few, if any, that I am very happy. Not perfect, but close.

One must remember my eyes are looking for faults due to what I have learnt on the forums. My friends could not find any and were spellbound by the look of the unit, the quality and class of the unit, and the pq. They thought it must have cost 5k and was a plasma (as they only know plasma quality).

I would recommend the unit and Unbeatable.

PS- you have to see a wildlife show on this tv. Wow, the greens and definition. I could not believe it!

In summary, twice as good than LG on background rainbow etc, to where I am surprised if I notice anything at all. NO reflections at all. Solarisation = Have noticed something at times that could be this!!!! Not sure as not noticed really. One or two shows where a great degree of picture detail is moving from one side of the screen to the other very quickly, then maybe a bit less detail as quick movement takes place. Broke up around the edges on or twice in a minute of viewing in many hours. I think this was a fault with the digital feed though. Other than that, nothing. I are not even sure if this was anything. Can beat the quality of my old Sony 32" tv (which was the best one could purchase in 1999). After 4 days I am exhaused from watching it but go wow, what a picture.

By the way, seeing both the Sagem 45, 50, Toshiba, and LG under similar conditions, I would rate them as - Sammy 1, LG 2/ Sagem 50 with HD 2, Sagem 50/45 3, and Tosh 4. Although, only slight differences in pq really and personal taste (for example, I do really like the look of the Tosh and LG as well as Sammy).

Finally, late last night, I worked out the Kirk nickname. Very funny! lol! I try not to think of it or it is like watching Enterprise from above lol!

Very happy with purchase at the price level. Hopes this helps. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to see you're happy with your set :)
    I make a point of watching the BBC wildlife programes they are so good.
    If you have a TV digital card in your PC you should give it a try as the quality
    you can get will take your breath away.

3. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, when I have the time this week I will ask you how to use my pc with the tele, especially to see a hd clip on the tele. I really want to download a hd clip and watch it on tele. Please help. Maree.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's best to connect your PC to the Samsung by using the DVI or HDMI connection.
    Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card if u have a Nvidia or ATI
    card u can select 1280x720 output at 60 hrz.
    Theres prob an option on the Sammy to select PC under settings?
    If u connect with DVI you will not see all of the screen this is called overscan & is normal & not a fault of your set, my set loses about 1% of the picture (1/2" either side on a 50" telly)
    For Hidef material you can download the trailers they use in the Comet demo's of the Sagem's from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/
    film/ContentShowcase.aspx

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Thanks for the report, I went to have a look at the Sammy at my local Comet this afternoon, saw no signs of any of the issues I am seeing with my HD-D45, to be honest it looked amazing and this was in Comet where it's not exactly gonna be set up optimally! Came home and put my Sagem on and within minutes I was noticing issues, especially the blurring/contouring on skin tones. Also the frostiness seemed more apparent again, will it would do after seeing the Samsung. Pretty much convinced now I'm going to return my Sagem and get the Sammy instead, only thing is where to get it from, easiest option would be a replacement from JL but they're charging £2950 for it so I think I'll get it from unbeatable instead!

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Does the Sammy really lose some of the desktop when using the HDMI input from a PC? The HD-D45 is excellent with my PC and doesn't seem to lose any of the desktop at all.

Andy

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are u using the DVI or HDMI input on the HD45?
    I have the Optoma RD50 not the sammy but from what i've read on sites like anandtech overscan is put there on purpose to ensure that all sets fill the screen with the DVI input. There used to be a larger overscan in the past.
    I would expect future drivers from Nvidia & ATI to eliminate it.If it bothers u you could allways use powestrip to get rid of it.
    If i use the VGA input there are controls to adjust the screen size to fit.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    The HD45 only has a DVI input.

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. wotever

wotever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all
    I got my samsung sp50 last week , and i must say at the moment i cannot fault it . pq is spot on with sky + but when you plug it in with the hdmi lead via a samsung hd945 it just blows you away. ;)

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    HDMI\DVI is a big performance jump from scart or component. :)

11. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. What sort of lead should I use to play HD on my tv, feed from my laptop?

2. Where can I purchase such a lead at a good price online?

Cheers, Misty :devil:

12. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on whether your laptop has a DVI or VGA output.
    If you have DVI you are lucky as that will give you the best picture.
    don't waste your money on a expensive DVI cable the signal is digital & any well made cable will give you a good picture over a short length.Just buy the cheapest DVI D cable you can.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    I doubt the laptop will have a DVI output, is it a VGA output only on the laptop? If so just use a VGA cable from e.g. www.lindy.co.uk

Cheers,
    Andy.

15. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I only have a VGA output on my laptop. will dvds still look good using this conection to the sammy ? can i get a new dvi-d card fitted into my laptop ?

16. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sammy for £2232 at costco with three year warranty in liverpool branch!!!!!

Any of guys heard of this and also does Makro do this set and is it worth buying from them?

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should still look good but not great

18. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: