1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relisys RLT3200 appreciation thread...;-P

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Damian1978, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hi chaps,

After soooooo sooooo long searching and trying LCD TV's I think I may have finally cracked it.

The Relisys arrived this morning from Micro Direct. Its rather well put together (all metal case and brushed aluminium surround), external speakers and metal desktop stand.

After the initial "clenching" moments whilst setting up I was really rather suprised and more relieved when I switched it on.

After it tuned itself in I was greeted by a rather suprising very very watchable RF tuner pictures (without any tweaking). Much more natural than the Toshiba (32WL48) and more detailed than the Samsung (32W33WX).

I've not messed with it for long (need to run DVE on it) but its getting better (especially via component). The picture seems very pure. Not much in the way of blur or blocking and I'm sure it can only get better.

Anyway I'll keep you all informed as at the moment I can highly recommend this set (and I'm the first to admit I'm a tad fussy :rotfl: ).

Happy viewing,

Damian

P.S. Many thanks to Numpsy for being the "guinea pig". Hope the problems with your set (i.e. no stand/speakers) are rectified a.s.a.p :smashin:

2. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hows the RLT3200 shaping up Damian, any little niggles yet?

have you try connecting a pc to it?

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Seems okay. Now I've got used to the picture you do notice the odd foible with Freeview and Sky but DVD's via component (just plain old interlaced from the rather adept SD900e) look for the most part fantastic.

Not got round to connecting a PC up. I'm considering getting a long VGA lead as I have a dual output from my PC.

The only thing that bugs me slightly is the occasional blur on low bitrate channels and if you go a bit heavy on the graphic equaliser it can distort a little. There may also be a slight lip sync issue on the odd DVD via my amp but I saw worse on my last two LW3233W's.

All in all for the money I'm pretty chuffed. Looks nice too.

Can't wait to either upgrade to a DVI upscaling DVD player or Sky's HDTV service as I'm sure its gonna look swell :D

4. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    cheers for that, let us know when ya connect a pc and if ya can get a true 1:1 pixel mapping at full res! :thumbsup:

5. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    :smashin:

Just enabled the "Film mode" (3:2 something or other....I'm tired and had a drink :devil: ) and I think the lip sync issues have gone. It was only really noticable on PAL discs so I'm assuming the panel operates at 60hz and this levels it out.

Also as far as I know the panel accepts a maximum of 1366 x 768 via DVI so this should be 1:1 but I can't confirm it.

I have a .pdf of the manual if anyone wants it.

6. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Tada!!

[​IMG]

7. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The obvious question mate is where did you get it and how much? Just so happens my dad wants an LCD so your answer would solve all my problems.

8. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    sorry mate, did not read the thread, just went to the picture!!! Micro Direct!!!

9. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
  10. Numpsy

Numpsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have my RLT3200 set up and i agree that this is a great set :)

As Damian says, the stand and speakers are 'optional' extras - i originally got one from Ebuyer and then had to return it as it didnt include either. I then got what appears to be the last one from Microdirect, and that included both.

The only 'setup' disc i have is the THX optimizer, but after running it through that i'm very impressed with the picture (the default settings are somewhat too dark). This is using a pioneer 575 dvd player connected via component.

Now that i've got it set up correctly i'll have a proper go with my pc via DVI tommorow and report my findings. I've already tried connecting my Dreamcast via VGA, and that gives me a very nice picture.

11. Numpsy

Numpsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Windows detects the resolution of the screen as 1366x768, and selecting that gives an image that fills the screen.
    Half-Life 2 in 16:9 mode looks sweet at this res :)

Attached Files:

12. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Looking good!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Toshiba SD900e as it does'nt do PAL progressive scan and I'd quite like a DVI Upscaling player.

When in interlaced mode there is a slight audio/video delay (only slight) this disappears in Progressive scan mode (or psuedo PAL/NTSC progressive scan on the SD900e.....which is'nt too hot) so I assume its the extra processing required.

If I were to get a Denon 3910 DVI equipped player I'm assuming the picture would rock as as theres no DAC to ADC conversion required there's more hope for less lip sync errors?

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Why can't all screens get this right? It can't be hard adding 1366x768 to the EDID and would make life so much easier for some of us.

14. fathead82

fathead82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely setup!! What stand would that be?

15. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hi,

I assuming you meant from my picture....so thanks....the stand is a cheapy Techlink one from CPC. Cost £117. Its pretty robust for the money, not sure about the blue tinted shelves but they are more than adequate for all the gear.

I should have a Denon 3910 by the end of the week (was promising myself not to buy anything else) so it should really rock.

Anyone want a cherished Region 2 Toshiba SD900e???

16. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If ebuyer supply minus stand and speakers can anyone suggest a suitable (table top)stand and a suitable (but cheap) cinema/surround sound speaker system?

17. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I seriously would'nt bother getting the panel from Ebuyer as Micro Direct have the panel for the same price (well near enough).

18. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Get a Kenmark 3 shelf glass stand at Index for £99! Better quality than Alphason and Optimum.

The best all in one Cinema System is the Denon DHT500SD - £399 at Peter Tyson. 600W, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, all the DTS's, ProLogicII's, power and quality you will ever need! Superb!

Jimmy

19. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did Half Life 2 let you select this res @ standard or did you need to do something special. Also when in dark bits of the game is there still detail or are alot of dark colours black.

M

20. deadpcagain

deadpcagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an h + b 32" in front of me and it doesn't seem to support pc dvi above 1024 x 768, can you guys tell me if the relisys model does support pc dvi at the max of 1366 x 768 ?

Also, whats the viewing like when playing a game like unreal tournament ? My initial test on this screen is not good and most likely to do with it been 25 ms.

Any help would be great as I need to decide whether this is going back to ebuyer or not.

Mick

21. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hi,

Sounds like you are having no fun with the H&B panel....sorry to hear that.

According to the RLT3200 manual the panel can take 1366 x 768 via DVI and PC VGA (I think). It will be dependant of whether your graphics card card supply that resolution though.

I can't confirm for definate though, however I can confirm that the RLT3200 has no problems with 720p and 1080i via DVI.

22. deadpcagain

deadpcagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Damian,

Ive requested a return from Ebuyer because the H+B is awful, and I mean awful.

I have tested everything and it fails on all counts. The bottom line is the fact that it cannot produce a decent tv picture without artifacts and lagging between frames, in my opinion its unusable.

Mick

p.s. forgot to say that when its turned off, it looks fantastic :rotfl:

23. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Well I guess its quite different from the RLT3200 then as I know I'm fussy! :D

Try a Relisys?

24. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it's of any use to anyone, I've just got an email and eNote (632407) from Ebuyer claiming that they do now supply speakers with the RLT3200.

25. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Damian

I've posted this in from another thread, as its more relevant here:

Hi Damian,

I'm on the verge of ordering this screen,(Relisys 3200) to replace a 5 year old 32" CTR TV (30" Viewable)

It was a cheapo model that cost back then about £500

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/skyscraper/byte/30/images/WideScreenTVBig.jpg

I see from your setup you have some pretty nice kit, what screen did you have before ? How would you compare ? - Is it really worth me spending £1200 for an extra 2" ?

My main use will be connected to SKY+ Box (Old v1 purchased in Dec 2001) and connected to my new Philips DVD 630 (Does progressive scan).

I also have a new MCE2005 box set up (currenlty connected via 10m composite cable) so I will want to connect to this to get the full 1360x768 desktop :)

Do you have any problem with ghosting ? What about pixelation compared with a CTR ? What are your impressions now that you have had it a while ?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure I've got the right screen for my money :)

Thanks Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------

28-03-2005, 05:40 PM #44
    Damian Arstall

Trader Rating: (0) Hi Greg,

My previous screen was a Sony KV28DX40 IDTV. It did have a good picture but I'm a stickler for perfection so wanted better convergence and geometry.

I've tried 5 LCD panels in all. Two Toshiba, two Samsung and now this Relisys and its the only one I could be happy living with.

General pictures are very good in comparision to the LCD sets I've seen and more importantly the ones I've tried.

I've not tried a PC on the panel yet but I aquired a Denon DVD3910 on Tuesday and just upgraded the DVI lead.....oh my

Really excellent pictures, reminiscent of the big screen.

RGB scart images are pretty good. Theres a little ghosting but its really quite minimal and I've mainly only had Freeview to try on the Scart input as my Sky has died. I get Sky+ on Wednesday so I'll hopefully have a better idea then.

Progressive feeds certainly look better on the panel and if you stick to DVI I think you'll be on to a winner.

My only minor quibble is a) I've noticed flicker (very slight flicker) on the DVI input at 50hz (I'm guessing it may be the DVD player as it has "issues" and I'm going to ask for another or the fact its 50hz). No flicker at 60hz. b) A little transformer buzz when you are within a foot of the set.

A thats being quite fussy!

26. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Numpsy : Can you confirm if you connected to the PC via VGA or DVI ? (This has been queried in another thread) - There could be flickering issues running at the full resolution 1366x768 on the DVI input ? - Also any sign of ghosting that is oh-so common in all but the fastest pc lcd screens ?

Damian: Can you let us know how you are getting on with hooking it up to SKY+ . I'm hoping you are getting a good picture as this will be my main input source. - Also did you manage to connect it to your pc yet ?

Thanks
    Greg

27. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hi,

Sky+ seems fine through it. Theres some slight ghosting on really fast motion but not really distracting.

The annoying thing is I've noticed a sub pixel has become fixed on green. Its tiny and not noticable from where I sit but a little worrying as it came from nowhere.

I hope no more go :rolleyes:

28. fiskov

fiskov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i just ordered this TV from:
    www.novatech.co.uk - £974 inc.VAT with speakers and wall mount.

I've got several Relisys monitors and they've all be great for me so i hope this LCD wont let me down.

Thanks for the positive reviews for this TV, as i almost went for the H&B.
    I'll write up what i think of the TV soon as it arives.

29. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

The Relisys sounds great except I still not sure how good the actual Picture qulaity is I' m now faced with choice of the 3200 or a sharp LC32GD1E.

The Sharp costs a great deal more, so not really a fair comparision but never the less my shortlist- I guess I want my my cake and eat it

Has any one seen the Relisys side by side with a Sharp or Panasonic?

30. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's a good point Starfish_001, I'm a bit hesitant poping a grand on a TV that I have not even seen! - Anyone know where I might see one - In or near London ?

Also none of the Hi-fi / Video mags seem to have reviewed it yet either.

We do have a glowing report from Damian Arstal and it sounds like he has tried a few ;-) ; but I may wait a bit for some more peoples views.

Greg