The Register article concerning imported DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by js, Jan 25, 2002.

1. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

I know this might get some of you disgruntled, but...

Sorry, but the article has almost nothing to do with importing DVD's. What it states, is that Sony don't want people "chipping" their Playstation 2's to play import games (and import DVD's).

As such, it's not that big-a-deal, unless you own a PS2. Personally, I don't see that point of trying to watch DVD's on such a machine like the PS2, unless you're really desperate to watch a film.

Buy a proper multi-region DVD machine instead, and leave the PS2 as a games machine!

Pooch

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    It's all about licensing and the use/importation/exportation of software in territories it wasn't licensed for. It's got everything to do with DVDs at the end of the day - Sony helped set up the region coding system and they're still peeved that it doesn't work, they've tried territory-locking their PS2's the same way they tried territory (or region) locking their DVD players. If it's illegal to chip a PS2 to play games/DVDs from a different territory to the one it was sold in, then that's a very small step away from Sony getting a successful prosecution against a firm chipping their DVD players aswell.
    In theory anyway.

But as we all know...."nature finds a way". Put up a barrier and man will break it down one way or another.

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I think it should be very troubling. Think about the precedent and where all this could go? Media giants are gobbling up smaller fish on every avenue of communications. Will they ultimately demand regional coding of say news? Does the information super hi-way lead straight to hell....:mad:

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When you buy a PS2 it becoems your own personal property. With your own personak property you may do what you want.

It is legal to sharpen a knife
    It is legal to mix drinks
    It is legal to upgrade your computer
    It is legal to turbocharge your car

I say Sony have **** all right (pardon my French) to say what we can or cannot do to our own property. Sony have not got a leg to stand on and are basically being complete arseholes. As Sony are being such ***** about this I elected not to buy a PS2 and I will not buy one until somebody tells Sony that they are wrong and to stop acting like 2 year olds.

If I buy a PS2 it is MINE and NOT, I repeat NOT the property of Sony.

It is also legal to import pretty much what you like (without being pedantic) so long as import duty is paid.

Sony, remove the pole from your butt crack and get a life.

ps - their money would have been better spent designing a console that doesn't look like a 1980s satellite decoder box.

[message edited by Spectre cos it broke the forum rules.]

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Copyright on games is the property of Sony. They have a right to do what they want with their own copyright. I'm not defending them, I personally think it's all a load of pointless crap anyway.

It doesn't have any effect on imported DVDs at all. It won't have any effect on imported games either, not when you can import the hardware too.

As for DVD, multi-region is here to stay.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    And so are hackers/cracks, any one with BB can dl a game for free and burn to cdr and there are plenty of tech heads out there to keep designing chips for retailers. At the end of the day there will always be people who'll hack either for spite at the fat cats or those who want to make some cash by allowing the consumer to defeat restricted gear and buy there get around.

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has nothing to do with dvd purchasing.

It has been illegal to disable copy protection for a short time now (last year i think) and this applies to that.

It does not change the right of the consumer to purchase items from another country. Indeed, it would probably be a breach under the human rights ruling if it did.

This is old news really, although the successful court case was, i believe, the first one and the register has got it wrong in their intreptation.

The issue with regards to dvd is the disabling of macrovision.

9. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to **** some people off there. I posted it as it could have set a precedent for R1 DVDs etc. I only have an R2 DVD player (a Sony one at that :D ) and was looking to getting it chipped after I pay off my Panny TV which is arriving tomorrow.
    Corporate greed basically, maybe they should concentrate on getting their hardware to work properly first (from reading the TV forum) before throwing their weight around.