Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The Referee's a .anker...!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Family Guy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anybody else see Rob Styles rob Fulham of 3 points yesterday??? He gave Midlesborough a penalty in the 89th minute afetr Edwin Van Der Sar fouled one of their players...5 yards outside the box!!!
    What really annoys me about these jumped up wannabe's is no one can say they are wrong. He won't admit it, he's cost Fulham 2 points in what is turning out to be a relegation dog fight...

And this idiot has got the cup final as well... :eek: :eek:

Seems to me that todays Premiership referees will do anything to hog the headlines...they are not interested in the game anymore. :thumbsdow

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,489
    I've not seen it yet but the panel on Gillette Soccer Special on Sky Sports last night all said what a terrible decision it was. Alan Mullery (ok he's not totally independent here) was calling for Mr Styles to be sacked !

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I think each time this happens, calls for a video ref are getting louder & louder.

4. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Can referees be anything other than ..ankers???

I ask myself the same question every other saturday!!!!

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    You're not good with a tape measure then i'll bet :D

Adrenochrome.

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At worst he only robbed them of two points. If you want a profession where making mistakes on a daily basis is acceptable then you need look no further than meteorology.

I think we all make mistakes in our work, most of us manage to conceal it and move on. Imagine if we were subject to slow motion replays every time we made a decision in the workplace.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Ref's decisions are ALREADY under slowmo replay - everyone at home watching on telly sees them! Now it's time for the fans at the ground and the players to get the truth too. :mad:

I heard some plonker on Sky a few nights ago say that the cost may be too high - so how come less wealthy sports liek rugby union and league can afford it? Cricket has even more technical replays than rugby and they are seriously considering introducing them too.

And "only two points"??? Do you know how much of a difference there is between Premiership and Coca Cola Champ money? If Fulham go down, tey will have to fire half their staff, not just players. Groundsman, kit assistants, ball pumpers, secretaries, whatever. Two points is a BIG deal this time of the year! :lesson:

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    If by 'concealing' you mean fix the mistake. Then you agree it is OK to correct a mistake, after it has been made.

If you mean you don't fix the mistake, please don't come and work in my office!! :D

9. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Never mind Fulham, that decision and the point it gifted Middlesborough might yet cost the mighty Spurs 7th place and Europe :mad:

That, and the famous 'goal that wasn't' at Old Trafford :mad:

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    *** if there is one place that football needs a replay camera, it's in the goal mouth! The Germans are still comlaining about "that goal" from '66. C'mon, Football, get with the times! :hiya:

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Ah but nobber, theres a good point! Had we had goaline cameras in 66' things might not have ended so sweetly. ;) That decision clearly rattled the Germans, and gave sir Geoff the chance to slap in number four, thus making sure we did at least win by one 'real' goal. As above its a nightmare when its against your team but we all go a little quiet when it's in our favour.

I think what disturbs me the most is that Refs are clearly making, and have done for some time, decisions based on criteria, in particular the clubs size and clout. Mistakes I can handle, cheating I can't.

12. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I mean put things right but cover the trail showing you made an error; dirty washing / public and all that!

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    But how can you tell the difference? When is the ref cheating and when is he just stupid/blind? If you introduce multiple cameras and another ref up in a box looking at all the replays, you'll get fewer mistakes.

Fewer mistakes = fewer questionable decisions = fewer possible cheating attempts from the ref. :clap:

And I can't understand why the FA needs the backing in all the other countries before they'll try it? Introduce it locally, in something less important, like the Carling Cup. Give the players and fans a chance to see if it does indeed benefit the game? There's a World Cup in a year's time - plenty of time to see if the technology does help or not. :lesson:

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Rob Styles is the ref for the FA cup final this year...as soon as I saw that a few days ago I thought the match is bound to degenerate into a farce wiith a number of players sent off. He hasn't a clue and I doubt very much whether he can cope with a Man V Arsenal game

15. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5yds, not sure about that...

Attached Files:

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's defo a Fulham supporters 5 yards!!! More like 10... :D

17. arn

arn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they are supposed to be trialing the chip which tells the officials if the ball has crossed the line in the coca cola cup next season if i recall.

But don't qoute me :rotfl:

18. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    they trialed it at the carling cup final this year !

and dont get me started on premiershi[ ref's :censored: especially the certain manc ref with the tattoo, you know who you are horrible little person arghhhh they get me so wound up on a saturday afternoon win,lose or draw cos 9/10 they have just been freshly plucked from the local blind school

19. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lets hope Mr Styles follows on in the vein of last year's Villa v ManU game in the cup final. In my opinion, he's the only one with the balls to properly referee it.

20. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ALex Ferguson agrees with the subject line. I think he will be hearing from the FA after yesterday's comments. Give him a touchline ban!

21. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    He really is full of it isn't he? Refs have more than given his lot the rub of the green over the last decade, and all through that time hes whined about "unfair treatement". What he really means is EVERY freekick/pen/offside should go his way................ No more no less. The guy needs (and he's not alone in this) to give us a break and stop bemoaning how hard done by he is. :mad:

22. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    here here Alex the Jap faced monkey is a :censored: sick of his moaning and his constant i counted 6 mins on my special watch gary my boyfriend neville got me for xmas. david moyes is starting to get like him as well :rolleyes: must be something in the water up there