1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Reason Being...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all,

After looking through some of these threads, it seems to me that some of you seem to be film fanatics, don’t get me wrong, I like films just like most other people but blimey, you guys buy films from around the world for different things, such as, packaging, sound, this edition, that edition, some even with sub titles etc etc…..

It made me wonder just how many films you guys purchased a month on average. Myself, I usually purchase about 6 a month and at present limited to UKR2 only.

I know it depends on release dates and that the number of films differs from month to month but just take an average. I’m sure this thread may throw up a few surprises for buying such films as well as surprising themselves by how many they buy a month.

Tardis

2. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    10-15 for me.

Must update my profiler!

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    it depends, but on average about 2 per month...

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most months it sticks at 3-4, but I'll occasionally go on a binge, like this month, and it'll float upwards of 10-12.

5. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I have bought anything up to 20 per month!

I think I have exceeded this, this month, as I bought 5 yesterday at Virgin and will be buying three tomorrow in Game!

6. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on average it's between 5-10 each month... but I did go a bit psycho a couple of years ago and brought between 40 and 50 films in one month (only once though)!!!!

7. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You Guys are beginning to make me think That I'm a bit of a fanatic now, buying 6 a month on average.

Do some of you realise how much you actually spend on average per month, or you just wait for the Credit Card bill for the shock!!! LOL

8. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The forums are a good source for cheap DVD's that are in good condition. Paypal and Nochex aren't real money (that's what I tell Mrs DM!)

9. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks to you guys that have answered this thread so far, but no one is admiitting as to why they "must have" that version or that packaging or that sound format for eg? Could it be that you want to be different to your mates that have UKR2 versions and you got the Super Dooper version/packaging. LOL, or perhaps it's because it could be of some value in the future?

10. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I can think of very few DVDs that were classed as 'Must have items!'

I usually weigh up the cost and specs and then decided on what to buy!

Example: I've just ordered the single disc R2 version of LXG for £9.99!

Why? I don't need the extras on disc 2, I had a £3.00 voucher to use and the R2 version has a DTS soundtrack (it's nice to have the option of DD or DTS)!

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I like to buy versions thats are a bit different.. hence mostof my buying is R2 Jpn at the mo.. curently spending too much a month :)

Makes my DVd shelfs more interesting to look at :)

Matt

12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Tardis,
    Have you never watched a UK film that you knew was cut and spent too much time wondering what it was that was cut?
    Have you never watched a film that had a dts version in the US and wondered how the other version sounds?'
    How about looking at your amaray case and thinking 'I wish I had that in cardboard?

(I'm only guilty of the first 2)

13. ryonhill

ryonhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually 2 or three a month unless i get some extra money or there are a few good releases.

I have bought nearly 15 in the last couple of weeks though. Christmas will be very busy!

14. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i've got a film that's only available with no features etc, and I hear there's a special edition coming, i'll sell the standard version for half price, and buy the new edition.

I basically buy the version that's uncut, with the best extra features. Packaging/sound format doesn't really bother me (has to be at least DD5.1 though). I'm not going to buy a new edition of a film if the only difference to the version i've got is a new DTS soundtrack.

15. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    I buy very few films myself (although my girlfriend manages a steady 4-5 a month). Special editions only crop up in my purchases when I'm flush (almost never then!) and will only do so on concerns over the disc content- packaging leaves me cold (besides I'm already concerned about storage space!).

The exception was the Band of Brothers tin of course :blush:

16. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    about 2-3 a month - to be honest the packaging, aspect ratio or what Rversion it is doesn't bother me...just two things....it must be a minimum of DD5.1 and it needs to be a film I like...I'm not someone who just keeps on buying films i've never seen just for the sake of adding to my collection!?

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In the last two months I've bought two DVD's. None interest me at the moment. Might spend a bit and get a few more after Christmas.

I'm a huge film fanatic, but their's a difference between being a film fanatic and owning lots of DVD's.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent £55 on a new version of Cutthroat Island cos i love the film and the Japanese version had DTS and an anamorphic print, turns out if i had shopped around i could have picked it up a lot cheaper and saved £20 or so.