The Real "Bloc"

Hillskill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if that many of you visit General Chat here on AVF so I thought I would post this up. The link below is some pics of Chernobyl as it is now :eek: Going through some of the other pics on the site you can see tons of images that look like they are straight out of video games. Looks like we know where Devs go for inspiration now. The Fallout 3 crowd definitely spent some time there !

Chernobyl disaster part 2: inside the buildings of Prypiat

Attachments

• bloc.jpg
    bloc.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 135
The Chernobyl incident has always caught my attention as completely fascinating. How a town of that size can just be simply abandoned, you can find pictures of classrooms with assignments still written on the board. This show on TV called "Life after Man" constantly uses Pripyat as an example of what modern cities would look like after 20 years of no one living there or touching them. That area should almost be designated a landmark of modern technology (failure) and be allowed to continue without interaction with humans.

I did read somewhere though that some people still live there? Can anyone else confirm that or was it just fodder from a gung ho tourist?

You can go sightseeing around Pripyat, Chernobyl, Rossokha, and Opachychi if you like. There's still people living in the Zone Of Estrangement.

One of my mates has been bugging me for the past 12 months as he's trying to organise a trip over to Pripyat. Quite fancy it in a morbid fascinating way.

As long as you don't touch anything, sit down, or eat or drink anything while there, it's meant to be quite safe.

Or least that's what he keeps telling me. :rolleyes:

I did read somewhere though that some people still live there? Can anyone else confirm that or was it just fodder from a gung ho tourist?

Sounds like something from the Hills have eyes !

Heres' the big wheel from COD4

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 108
One of my mates has been bugging me for the past 12 months as he's trying to organise a trip over to Pripyat. Quite fancy it in a morbid fascinating way.

As long as you don't touch anything, sit down, or eat or drink anything while there, it's meant to be quite safe.

Or least that's what he keeps telling me. :rolleyes:

You get checked for radiation when you leave the exclusion zone - I guess it'd be a bit scary if you were found to be contaminated. :eek:

The controlled area is only about 20 miles or so, even though huge areas of Belarus and the Ukraine are "potentially affected".

The organised tours seem a bit of a rip off to be honest but I suppose it's better to pay a lot to someone who knows what they're doing rather than risk doing it on the cheap and coming a cropper.

You get checked for radiation when you leave the exclusion zone - I guess it'd be a bit scary if you were found to be contaminated. :eek:

The controlled area is only about 20 miles or so, even though huge areas of Belarus and the Ukraine are "potentially affected".

The organised tours seem a bit of a rip off to be honest but I suppose it's better to pay a lot to someone who knows what they're doing rather than risk doing it on the cheap and coming a cropper.

Can you imagine missing the bus back home......ooh theres a film script in there somewhere :cool:

Apparently there's an official tourism organisation that you can arrange it with directly that's a lot cheaper, then you just need to get cheap flights to Kiev.

He's been going on and on about it for ages so I'l probably end up there at some point this year. Should certainly be interesting. :D

Not sure if that many of you visit General Chat here on AVF so I thought I would post this up. The link below is some pics of Chernobyl as it is now :eek: Going through some of the other pics on the site you can see tons of images that look like they are straight out of video games. Looks like we know where Devs go for inspiration now. The Fallout 3 crowd definitely spent some time there !

Chernobyl disaster part 2: inside the buildings of Prypiat

That's a fantastic site!!

Thanks!

I'd imagine it would be amazing to go and visit.

Bloody scary though.

That's a fantastic site!!

Thanks!
looks so creepy.i saw that life after man documentry too/
and the place looks so eerie.

it would creep me out going there.fascinating though.

kind of reminds me of a silent hill flick.

infinity ward done a brilliant job in recreating it though in mw1.especially the swimming pool and big wheel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom