The Reader Bluray~ Interlaced

Dubliner1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
Seems like the UK Region B version of The Reader (Bluray) is not progressive- has anyone else noticed this or seen it mentioned in any reviews?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it is interlaced as it is another EIV release. They have a list of ever increasing titles being 1080i.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is interlaced as it is another EIV release. They have a list of ever increasing titles being 1080i.
Just confirmed from someone in the know that this is Interlaced, not Progressive...really disappointing that such a great movie got short changed. For anyone interested, best bet might be to try to get hold of a US import version which is true 1080p and region free.
I have checked several of my Blu ray discs from EIV (Entertainment In Video) and they usually have an area on the bottom of the back cover with tech specs...where it will be highlighted if its 1080p. If however its blank or just says 'Anamorphic Widescreen 16x9' then its probably 1080i....which is sadly the case with 'The Reader'.

Just confirmed from someone in the know that this is Interlaced, not Progressive...really disappointing that such a great movie got short changed. For anyone interested, best bet might be to try to get hold of a US import version which is true 1080p and region free.
I have checked several of my Blu ray discs from EIV (Entertainment In Video) and they usually have an area on the bottom of the back cover with tech specs...where it will be highlighted if its 1080p. If however its blank or just says 'Anamorphic Widescreen 16x9' then its probably 1080i....which is sadly the case with 'The Reader'.

It shows how bad they are with the covers. There is no such thing as anamorhpic widescreen with HD. It is always 16:9 with the chosen aspect ratio.

The EIV Saw 2 is 1080i and I believe that has 1080p on the cover. My Zach and Miri does say 1080i on the back.

It shows how bad they are with the covers. There is no such thing as anamorhpic widescreen with HD. It is always 16:9 with the chosen aspect ratio.

The EIV Saw 2 is 1080i and I believe that has 1080p on the cover. My Zach and Miri does say 1080i on the back.
Thanks for the heads up...I am going to be super careful prior to purchasing any more Blurays by EIV...do you know any good websites which specifically review UK Blurays...

Last edited:
As well as these forum reviews, You can try these two sites. They do both US and UK discs.

DVD Times - DVD, Blu-ray and Cinema News, Reviews and Features

DVD News, DVD Reviews & More at DVDActive

I am not a fan of DVD Active though.

Just went thru my Bluray movies by EIV and found Bangkok Dangerous is also 1080i, not 1080p. If a Bluray was released in the U.S. in 1080i instead of 1080p there would be a huge uproad on their AVSforum website and the disc would be re-released by the studio...this happened with Terminator 3.

I assume it's 1080i/50, so the film is sped up to 25fps?

I assume it's 1080i/50, so the film is sped up to 25fps?
Yes- 1080/50...I've started a new thread for a Blurays titles that are 1080i instead of 1080P...several blurays were released in the USA in 1080i by mistake and were quickly re-pressed in 1080P and exchange programs initiated by the studio concerned.

1080i/60 wouldn't even be too damaging (but it would be very wasteful). Actually having the film run at the wrong speed on a format which easily lets them avoid that is pretty sloppy.

1080i/60 wouldn't even be too damaging (but it would be very wasteful). Actually having the film run at the wrong speed on a format which easily lets them avoid that is pretty sloppy.
Someone just pointed out in the thread I started for defective blurays that EIV will be releasing Lord Of The Rings on Bluray...can u imagine that in 1080i...!!!!

If it was in 1080i/50, at least the film would end sooner ;)
I'll get my coat.

Took my copy of this back the Blockbuster this evening and got my money back.

The girl behind the counter asked me why I wanted to return it, but as soon as I started talking in numbers she lost all resistance and gave me the refund.

I suggest that anyone else that's bought the UK version does the same. It's really not good enough and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

The girl behind the counter asked me why I wanted to return it, but as soon as I started talking in numbers she lost all resistance and gave me the refund.

:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom