The Rats - superb film/disc!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I rented out a little horror film over the holiday, and wanted to recommend it to all of you. It's called "The Rats", and is a Twentieth Century Fox TV Movie.

All I can say, is that this film is ace! It stars Madchen Amick (the waitress out of TV series "Twin Peaks", and Vincent Spano, who are shocked to discover that there are a huge plague of super-rats taking over the city of Gotham. (Nope, not the Batman "Gotham"!)

Considering this is only an uncut 12 certificate here in the UK, this film is brilliant! :) The film is a really shocking and creepy flick, and will probably freak most of you out at least once, unless you happen to really love rats! :D

There are several gore effects, which are NOT for the young ones in the family, so be warned! (In the US, this got an "R" rating!) And if you are squeamish, you might also want to watch this with your loved one! The BBFC have left this movie uncensored, but it isn't for kids, despite the certificate!

The acting is good, for a TV Movie, and whilst the plot is by no means original, it's pulled off with such panache and intensity, that you actually find yourself seriously scared. The rats are supposedly CGI and animatronic effects, but when you watch the film, the rats look pretty bloody real!

Watch out for the two scariest scenes: the rat-attack in the swimming pool, at the beginning of the film, and the scene in the underground car park, with Madchen Amick finding a rat in her car! Totally guaranteed to scare your shirtless!

The film is out to rent, here in the UK, in a 4:3 print only, but the film can be bought on Region 1 DVD, with a widescreen (1.78:1, anamorphic) print, and DD 5.1 soundtrack, trailer and featurette about the making of the film.

I can highly recommend this, if you fancy a genuinely frightening film! Just be careful: this film does for rats, what "Jaws" did for sharks, and "Arachnophobia" did for spiders!

Pooch

Sounds great Pooch, Is it the same "Rats" as in the James Herbert book(ie based on it) might have to get it then dim the lights put the cats out and let our two rats run free round the living room while we watch it :eek: :eek:

Cant do that with Jaws even though we do have a fish tank:D

Perks of my wife running a pet shop,,,,,,,,,,, I get to live in one:(

Hi,

No, this is not related to the JH novel of the same name, apart from the title.

But it is a great rental/purchase!

Pooch

Captain,

I'm certain you'll love it! Let me know when you've watched it, what you think. I'd be interested in your opinion of the film, and of the effects/animation/real rats.

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom