• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The question is.....

vinylman

Do you rate Dave Grohl...

As a singer?

As a guitarist?

As a drummer?

As a songwriter?

As a video star?

As a legend?

english_bob

As a drummer yes. Foo fighters are ****ing awful though

overkill

Distinguished Member
And a Foo Fighters fan might say Daft Punk are ****ing awful....of course you'd both be wrong :p
No, the Foo Fighters fan would be right. Daft Punk are ****ing awful. ;)

Dave Grohl is a legend, not just for his musicianship, but for the fact he's always willing to help out other people with their projects.

Like early Foo Fighters, the first five albums are good to great, but I loathe Nirvana.

KungFuPro

I'd say overall he's a great musician, never been a massive fan of the Foo Fighters until I seen their live performance of Wasting Light a couple of years ago. There's not a lot of bands who could play a whole album live like that in one go and have it sound that tight.

vinylman

overkill said:
No, the Foo Fighters fan would be right. Daft Punk are ****ing awful. ;)

Dave Grohl is a legend, not just for his musicianship, but for the fact he's always willing to help out other people with their projects.

Like early Foo Fighters, the first five albums are good to great, but I loathe Nirvana.

I agree with Overkill.

probedb

Banned

Spot on :)

Although I do like Nirvana, I never got into them until sometime after Kurt died.

Phil-YAI

I would rate him highly in all of those categories. :smashin:

I think the Foo Fighters are fantastic and he seems to bring an energy and enthusiasm to whatever project he's involved in.

english_bob

And a Foo Fighters fan might say Daft Punk are ****ing awful....of course you'd both be wrong :p

I don't get it, what's the connection between Dave Grohl and Daft Punk?

shade_of_meta

english_bob said:
I don't get it, what's the connection between Dave Grohl and Daft Punk?

Lol...I like them both, you're very active in the Daft Punk thread so i was kidding! ****ing awful is a pretty bold statement when 10's of millions love them!

Andy

I'd say overall he's a great musician, never been a massive fan of the Foo Fighters until I seen their live performance of Wasting Light a couple of years ago. There's not a lot of bands who could play a whole album live like that in one go and have it sound that tight.
Foo Fighters. Wasting Light Live from 606. - YouTube

Never actually seen this before so thanks for the link, that is brilliant :smashin:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Lol...I like them both, you're very active in the Daft Punk thread so i was kidding! ****ing awful is a pretty bold statement when 10's of millions love them!
Not really. Millions of people bought Hammond organ albums by the likes of James Last etc, that doesn't mean they aren't ****ing awful. ;)

shade_of_meta

overkill said:
Not really. Millions of people bought Hammond organ albums by the likes of James Last etc, that doesn't mean they aren't ****ing awful. ;)

I can see an uphill struggle here :D

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Drummer and songwriter.

Agree and also not a bad singer as he does have a good "growl" (or should that be Grohl!)
Was a big Nirvana fan back in the day but think I prefer the Foos a bit more.

As for Daft Punk - I don't think I've ever heard any of their music.... :eek:

Philly112

Distinguished Member
He's a decent guy who makes good music and is someone who I'd like to have a pint with, and someone who I will listen to/read when he has something to say. Which is quite often actually. A good guy caught up in a mad music industry. A rockier version of Dave Matthews.
I am not sure what a 'video star' is. But I suspect that if you asked Grohl if he wanted to be remembered as a video star he would either slit your throat or his own.

Phil

Last edited:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Agree and also not a bad singer as he does have a good "growl" (or should that be Grohl!)
Was a big Nirvana fan back in the day but think I prefer the Foos a bit more.

As for Daft Punk - I don't think I've ever heard any of their music.... :eek:
Guarantee you have. They broke it big with 'Around the World' back in the late 90's. If you've heard that then you've heard the template for everything else they've ever done. If you like dance music/electro with (highly) repetitive lyrics they're your band! ;)

Oh, and they're music media darlings too, which is enough to make me loathe them in itself. :cool:

pxr5

Have a scan on Youtube for the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the other day, with the Foos doing Rush's 2112 and their indcution. If anyone can dress up in a Kimono and blonde wig pretending to be Alex Lifeson, well he is up there in my books lol. Oh and the Crossroads Jam with Rush and everyone on stage is worth a look too.

I quite liked Nirvana and the early Foo Fighter stuff and have a lot of respect for the guy. Love the stuff he does with others too - like QOTSA and Tenacious D.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
overkill said:
Guarantee you have. They broke it big with 'Around the World' back in the late 90's. If you've heard that then you've heard the template for everything else they've ever done. If you like dance music/electro with (highly) repetitive lyrics they're your band! ;)

Oh, and they're music media darlings too, which is enough to make me loathe them in itself. :cool:

Wasn't "Around the World" an East 17 song? ;)

Can't say I've heard of it but then I like good music :)

english_bob

Well, Dave is a nice person and I will sit and listen to him being interviewed etc. (only the other night listened to him being interviewed on the radio by Jo "I was there at the start/Had the Clash on white label before I was born etc." Whiley about a film he has directed about a recording studio).

BUT...

The Foo Fighters are, yes a populist choice loved by millions. IMO they are the lazy choice to give an award to when an international band category comes up. Other than the track "Everlong" which was OK, I don't think I have warmed to them at all.

I've listened / still listen to some extreme stuff, from Anthrax > Metallica back in the day, to Deftones today, yet the Foo's do nothing for me musically. Or for that matter, and back to Dave, vocally.

The vocal track on "Best of you" is something I would describe as a vocal prolapse, the whole track sums up what I think / feel when the Foo's are mentioned. It is truly horrible (IMO).

KungFuPro

Never actually seen this before so thanks for the link, that is brilliant :smashin:

The Foo Fighters seem really good with stuff like that, I wish more bands would record whole album rehearsals, the only other one I can think of is the bonus DVD of Metallica's St. Anger (less said about that, the better :rotfl:).

You can see how good a band really are when there's no stage lights or crowd noise to mask sloppy playing. Too many bands stitch their songs together in the studio, then they sound awful live because they're not capable of playing the songs properly. At least you're guaranteed a good show with the Foo Fighters.

overkill

Distinguished Member
the only other one I can think of is the bonus DVD of Metallica's St. Anger (less said about that, the better :rotfl:).
The worst recording of all time? Never mind that it's dire anyway...;)

Agree totally on the Foo's live shows. One of the few acts that everyone I know who's seen them said they give 100% every time.

Can't ask for more than that.

KungFuPro

The worst recording of all time? Never mind that it's dire anyway...;)

I don't know, if they went back & cut the songs down in half, tuned their guitars back up to E, bought Lars a new kit, reminded Kirk of his solos (sans wah pedal), reproduced it with proper mixing... actually that's a lot of work to polish a turd.

Maybe they could ask David Grohl to help them with a 10th anniversary re-release :D.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I don't know, if they went back & cut the songs down in half, tuned their guitars back up to E, bought Lars a new kit, reminded Kirk of his solos (sans wah pedal), reproduced it with proper mixing... actually that's a lot of work to polish a turd.

Maybe they could ask David Grohl to help them with a 10th anniversary re-release :D.

Tune back to Eb - always sounds better :smashin: Wasn't most of it dropped D tuning which is half the reason it all sounds very mushy. And as for Lars drum kit - jeez, who would ever think that sounds good on every song...I would say there are a few good songs on there but overshadowed by the dreadful sound and mixing.

At least with the Foos there's good songs and great sounds but I do think they almost have too much material so the new stuff can't compete with the older classic. Sometimes less is more ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom