Question The quest for the right amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by srgranberg, Mar 31, 2016.

1. srgranberg

srgranberg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I require aid in my quest for the right amplifier at a reasonable price;

I've had my pair of "Acoustic Energy: Aegis One" speakers and my delicious power-packing "Tangent Millenium Subwoofer" for a few years now, but the problem is - or rather was - the amplifier: it died a few summers ago and I have not the required hifi-expertise to acquire a new one, as the system was handed to me by my late father.

The specifications are:
    Speakers (each)
    - Maximum Power Handling: 120 Watt
    - Impedance: 8 ohm

Subwoofer
    - Amplifier power: 150W RMS
    - Amplifier max peak power: 400W

I have no idea what an amplifier costs, but if it's possible I'd like one in the range of ~100 USD or ~70 EUR

Thank you for your time.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    First, geographically, were in the world are you? US? UK? EU? AU? NZ? ...?

Next, yes it is possible to buy an amp for under US$100, but not remotely what you are implying you originally had. Though you don't really give us any information on the original amp.

If you are in the UK, you simply can not find a better amp at a better price than this amp -

Yamaha AS501, 85w/ch, DAC - £199 -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

That deal is only available to people in the UK.

In the USA, the same amp cost a considerable amount. But there are some other options in the USA -

There is no amp of any quality that come close to the Yamaha R-AS201 AM/FM Receiver for a modest $150 -

Yamaha RS201 AM/FM Receiver - US$150 -

Yamaha R-S201

A similar Amp only is available in the UK for £150 -

Yamaha AS201, 100w/ch - £149 -

Yamaha AS201 Amplifier - Superfi

That's about the best there is. However, if you want a very compact low powered amp, then the Lepai T-amp is worth considering. Many people use these on their computers. Lepai makes several difference amps.

Lepai amp - Google-UK Search

Lepai Amp - Google-USA Search

The power ratings are a bit overblown in that they are usually to 4 ohms instead of the standard 8 ohms. So, simply cut them in half.

Steve/bluewizard

3. srgranberg

srgranberg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Steve!

Thank You for the quick response and for sharing Your knowledge with me.
    Let me start off by saying I'm from Scandinavia (EU) and that I actually cannot recall the name/specifications of my original amp as I - in my ignorance - thought it would be rather easy to acquire a new one afterwards; before I knew it 3 years had passed and there's still no amp in my house. I most certainly will contact my nearest Yamaha dealer tomorrow and inquire about those amps You've mentioned.
    If You know of any amps worth mentioning in the range of 100-200 USD / 70-140 EUR that can be bought outside the UK, please, do not hesitate posting them here.

srgranberg