1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Quest for Clarity: Help me choose a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hawk0187, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Hawk0187

Hawk0187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings, all. I've been scouring the web the last few days in search of my first sound system. I'm currently planning on purchasing a pair of Polk RTi38's, but i'm having trouble deciding on a receiver. I've been looking at the Onkyo SR500, but i'm not sure i require all of it's features for my application. Here's what i'd like to do:

I'd like a receiver that will give me a warm, full sound. I'll mainly be using it for straight audio 9ie: no home theater), but when i move out of my home in a year or so, i'd like to be able to have a good foundation for a stereo home theater that won't be rendered useless by this shift in application. I've considered the Onk 8511(?) stereo receiver for it's 100W power, but i'm not quite sure this is nec. as i'll most likely be moving into an apt. where i'll have no need to fill an auditorium with an excess of decibels.

Basically, i'm looking for some direction in my pruchasing process, and any advice/information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the reason i'd like to have a sound system is because i'm an aspiring audiophile (read Grado owner) who'd like to be able to move my listening away form the computer (Klipsch 2.1's). I'm used to better than nominal sound, but have no need for 75345.1 surround sound Dolby 1337 Logic Sound Processing.

Help me find a receiver.

---
    Afterthought: I enjoy listening to:
    -dave matthews
    -coldplay
    -daft punk
    -propellerheads
    -lots of classical music (strings to pianos, which incidentally are also stringed)
    -anything acoustic (i love a warm, clean, bright sound)

thanks again for reading this much.

2. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a Denon receiver? As you are in the USA you´ll have the newer models before us. Something like the new 3803 should suit you very well as a standalone amp for stereo playback and when you come to use it for Home Theatre it should also impress.:)

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be worth looking and listening to some NAD receivers - very well regarded for being "no nonsense" and having good musical abilities.

I know mine, whilst a step down in AV terms from the old Sony, does makes music a lot more listenable.

regards,
    Paul

4. Hawk0187

Hawk0187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems as though the Denons are very popular on this site, but i'm hoping to find my needs met by a Harman Kardon or an Onkyo (as i work for Circuit City i'd save something close to 40%). Can anyone compare/contrast the TX8211, TX8511, SR500 and SR600 for me? Given looks help, i'd rather my receiver sound nice.

Additionally, any recommended informational/education pages about receivers/audio in general?

Thanks again