The Quarry (Xbox Series X) Review & Comments

psikey

Distinguished Member
Seeing as this is from Until Dawn makers it got me interested but not at new release prices.

As a PC user instead of Console, I went looking at other stuff they did and found the 3 game bundle of Dark Pictures Anthology for about £26 so now happily making my way through that.

By time I finish those this might be at a price I find acceptable :)

Good review, thanks.

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
I enjoy these Suprermassive adventures, even if the actual gameplay in them is pretty slight. This may be their best effort to date too, but there are a few niggles which bring it down a little.

The most glaring mistake is to set it in the modern world. It's very clearly an homage to 80s slasher movies, it uses 80s cars, cassette tapes, and VHS style effects to bookend things. And yet bizarrely it's set in current times which means modern, and painfully bad music which doesn't doesn't work and has me reaching for the volume every time it pops up. Of course the characters are permanently clutching phones too, but due to plot reasons can't actually work as phones. Just set it in the 80s, honestly I suspect that was the original intent but someone high up the food chain got nervous.

The second problem are some technical issues. The game has a raised black floor and there's no way to correct it in game, the HDR is virtually undetectable, the 60fps frame rate is far from consistent, and there's heavy camera motion blur which can't be disabled. There's also a gigantic gulf in quality between the characters which look good to excellent, and the environments which look average to poor.

Despite all this is an entertaining "game", which is to say you'll spend as much time watching cut scenes as you do actually interacting.

For me it's a 7/10. Maybe the technical issues are better on other platforms, who knows. (I have a Series X)

nenito2k

Another cross Gen game that of course looks identical on all platforms...

psikey

Distinguished Member
I enjoy these Suprermassive adventures, even if the actual gameplay in them is pretty slight. This may be their best effort to date too, but there are a few niggles which bring it down a little.

The most glaring mistake is to set it in the modern world. It's very clearly an homage to 80s slasher movies, it uses 80s cars, cassette tapes, and VHS style effects to bookend things. And yet bizarrely it's set in current times which means modern, and painfully bad music which doesn't doesn't work and has me reaching for the volume every time it pops up. Of course the characters are permanently clutching phones too, but due to plot reasons can't actually work as phones. Just set it in the 80s, honestly I suspect that was the original intent but someone high up the food chain got nervous.

The second problem are some technical issues. The game has a raised black floor and there's no way to correct it in game, the HDR is virtually undetectable, the 60fps frame rate is far from consistent, and there's heavy camera motion blur which can't be disabled. There's also a gigantic gulf in quality between the characters which look good to excellent, and the environments which look average to poor.

Despite all this is an entertaining "game", which is to say you'll spend as much time watching cut scenes as you do actually interacting.

For me it's a 7/10. Maybe the technical issues are better on other platforms, who knows. (I have a Series X)
I class these type as interactive stories/movies rather than games. I always enjoy the change of pace from action adventures.

I was considering this until you mentioned the modern music. Yikes!

chiro81

What's the consensus for people that have actually played it twice...worth the time for the second play through? I am just about finished the first but not sure I want to watch a movie for 90% of 10.5 hours just for different choose your own adventure...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom