1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The purpose of video processing...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dimmy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but to my understanding of it, the purpose behind Digital Video Processing is to 'fool' your eyes into believing they're seeing a perfect analogue source.

IMHO, the only video processing mode that successfully does this is Progressive Scan...

To my way of viewing it, Pixel Plus, Panasonic's Acuity, Sony's DRC-MF do not fool me into believing this at all, and all look heavily processed to my eyes, not at all convincing.

What do other forum members think???

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Along the same lines, I can't understand why the manufacturers don't just stick a decent deinterlacer into their sets, like an SiL or a Farouja chipset.

I guess it's because the average punter on the street likes the sound of DRMC or whatever the latest digital mess is.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose that's a fair point.

It's easier to sell Pixel Plus and DRC-MF than it is to sell 'Progressive Scan'. I know as I've sold TV Sets containing both. If you explain the premise of both to potential buyers, they're always wowed by Pixel Plus's Theory and confused by Progressive Scan.

Customers love 100hz too. They've had their heads filled with all sorts.

The worst kinds are those stubborn 'Male Father' characters who stand, arms folded, and try to tell Me that 100hz doubles picture resolution... Try explaining to them that there's more beneficial processing than 100hz.

Shame really, as I thought it was about which looks the best...

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People are told what to think, not taught what to think.
    The companies who make these ideas are doing their job well cause people really believe 100hz is the best thing ever.
    Imagine how much money the tv makers are saving, impressing people with a half baked processors.

5. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Agreed.
    100Hz processing was obviously dreamed up by marketing men to sell a more expensive 'benefit' on their TV's.
    IMHO 50 Hz TV's have a much more unprocessed picture and look all the better for it.
    Bring on prog scan!