The purpose of the hacks is...? Region Free is???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by thedefiantone, Nov 9, 2004.

1. thedefiantone

thedefiantone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there....I'm sure a number of you are tired of answering the same old question, but, while I am able to find a number of technical posts about "region free" and "hacks", I'm not quite sure I yet understand the purpose of all this. I realize these may be what may amount to some rather "dumb" questoins...but, you all certainly seem to be knowledgeable (from the posts I've read) and I'm trying to educate myself.

My first question is: what exactly is the purpose of making your DVD player "region free"? Is this simply so that you can watch DVDs that are made for other regions in your machine?

I have recently purchased a Pioneer DVR-520HS and am a little annoyed at the fact that I can't make back up copies of my DVDs...it's actually one of the reasons I bought the thing. IS there somethig that can be done to the machine to disable this...does this have something to do with the "region free" mode of the players that everyone is talking about?

Ironically I have a Pronto remote...I didn't buy it for any other reason except I hate having 100 remotes laying around. Now it seems as it may have some practicle use in the "region free" mode set up...but I don't even know why I might want to make my unit "region free".

Please...what can you possibly tell me about all of this?

Thank you for your time...I really do appreciate it. If you would be so kind to maybe CC a reply to my email as well in case I get lost in all of the posts I would much appreciate it!
    Michael

2. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello Michael,
    Region 1 = North america
    region 2 = Europe
    Region 3 = Asia
    etc etc
    A Region 2 DVD player will only play DVD's from its own region.
    A multi region player will play DVD's from all regions.
    This is usefull for the diffrent release dates of ( usually ) region 1 and region 2.
    ie Recently Hellboy was released as a region 1 DVD before it was released in the cinema in the UK.
    A region 1 release and a region 2 release can also have diffrent extras on the DVD.
    Diffrent regions also means a world market place so you can shop around ( the globe! )

Hope this helps

Contar

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Like he said.

Multiregion gives you the otherwise unavailable option of buying

> versions unaffected by the UK nursemaid state as implemented by those paragons of virtue - the BBFC (or worse, the studios response to our classification law) - i.e. uncensored

> versions available sooner elsewhere in the world

> films (etc) only available elsewhere in the world

> titles available much cheaper from places outside rip-off Britain

etc.

As for copying - that's illegal.