The Purple Cinema...&...dedicated stereo room.....

arf005

Established Member
Reaction score
In our Den.....or Shetland on rotation....
To cut a long story short - our only upstairs bedroom in our detached bungalow, up here in Aberdeenshire - Scotland, sits above one of the (two) extensions. Here's how we changed it into our home cinema Den.....

The room used to look like this, taken before we bought the house....
06upstairsbedroom5od.jpg

The wardrobe went through a bit of a change, here's how.....

thedensmalls0035rz.jpg

thedensmalls0042tt.jpg

TheDensmalls006.jpg

Click on these pics if you want the bigger picture.....
We then added the speakers, front.........rear.........and here's the Sub...

Here's a dodgy panorama.......

Here's a better panorama......click on the thumbnail if you want a bigger picture....

thedensmall4sy.png

Our rack components have recently been upgraded.....
From this.....

denkit00929znmf5.jpg

To this........

dsc014126bd.jpg

dsc014136aa.jpg

dsc01741cj4.jpg

Behind our rack looks like this.....
denkit02224wn8.jpg

The beauty of it being the only upstairs room is I have access behind the walls!! All cables are ran behind and terminated onto small wall mounted plates - seen here.....

dsc0021sb8.jpg

So, kit components are....
Rotel RDV-1060 DVD-A Player
Rotel RSX-1067 7x100W Receiver
B&W CM4's and CMC up front
B&W 601 S2's (and CC6 S2, now fitted) at the rear
JPW SW-40 active sub doing the LFE
Sony 32" wide flat crt
Panasonic VCR and PS2 both able to speak through the RSX-1067

LED's and lots of lava lamps (including an original from the 60's)
....and a fridge full of lovely chilled Stella - essential to the room!! :D

More info - the dvd player and receiver are fed from a dedicated 32A rcbo and 6mm spur into unswitched sockets, which keeps them away from the electrically 'noisy' fridge.

As I mentioned speakers too are wired round the room behind the walls, so all you see are the short runs from the speaker terminals to the face plates on the wall.....behind which I've soldered speaker cables and ran them round to the corner where the rack is....

Going back to the recess - the fridge, led's and lava lamps in the old wardrobe are all hard wired behind the walls, and controlled by switches just on the inside of the recess. So no ugly cables running everywhere!
The led's are split onto two circuits so you can have all, half, or none, and both lava lamps are switched together.
And that's about it......phew!

It was a fun project to complete, and we're quite chuffed with our efforts....
For the future we've our eye on a projector and screen, Infocus 4805 has been tested and we're happy with the results.....*update*......as you can see later in the thread we decided not to go for a projector, mainly because of the ceiling, and those velux windows......

But there's also a dedicated stereo for the lounge to buy too.....we're thinking Naim and B&W.....just got to keep saving......although those Rotel boxes didn't help.......

Ah well, dedicated rcbo and 10mm spur is ready and waiting......

Cheers,
Ali

Hi Ali

lovely result there, may set up in the loft, but the cables is just one huge mess! i keep syaing one day i'll get round to tidying it up . i really liek what you have doen with the wall plates, brilliant!!
shahed

Hi Shahed,
thanks for the comment.
It was very handy indeed having access to the roof space behind the walls. Which is via the wooden panel you can see behind the right CM4... It was akward, cramped, stuffy, and full of rockwool (loft insulation) but for the end result it was well worth it!!
Also because of all the wiring behind there - I installed a smoke detector, just in case.... I just need to remember it's in there so I don't think I'm going off my head wondering where this beeping's coming from when the batteries run low...... :D
Cheers,
Ali

The Den now looks like this......

dsc00212bv2.jpg

dsc00242jm7.jpg

dsc00252bu2.jpg

dsc00272ss2.jpg

Lord of the Rings - 576p component feed.....no hdmi.....:(

dsc03112ac8.jpg

dsc03122cy7.jpg

dsc03132fn6.jpg

Panorama pic.....
denpanorama3bo4.jpg

If you want a larger pic click the thumbnail below to open it and then click the pic again to get the original view.....

Had the set just over a week now, bought from John Lewis for £995 free delivery and five year garantee.......very happy with it, although the freeview picture's a bit pants!!

Please excuse the coiled up component cable, I've still to run it behind the wall......

Cheers,
Ali

WOW!!! Very nicely done!!!:smashin: You have some really fantastic stuff!!!
The Sony Grand Wega and Rotel gear is realling making me green with envy!! Would love to get one of those.
Very well put together!!! Pretty damn impressive mate!!:thumbsup:

How did you put together the panoramic shot?

Adrian

sapper said:
How did you put together the panoramic shot?

Adrian
You can achieve this on phone cameras by setting the shoot mode to panoramic, then the edge of the last shot becomes opaque, which allows you to match up the next frame perfectly.

Nice to see a return for Rotels on the forum too :smashin:

Thanks guys!

The new pics were taken with a Nikon D70s DSLR and the old ones with a Sony DSC-P10 compact. I use www.panoramafactory.com for the stitching programme to get the wide shots. As opposed to joining them in photoshop, or your mobile!

That type of photography is more suited to landscape shots, like these I took while in New Zealand on our Honeymoon last year......click on the thumbnails if you want to get the bigger picture.....

glenorchysmall9yt.png

theremarkablessmall3fh.png

milfordsoundsmall8ja.png

arrowtownsmall9oc.png

akaroamorningsmall9ym.png

kaikourasmall0lg.png

Oh, and I'm using imageshack for the hosting, but I guess you've figured that if you've checked the thumbnails......

Cheers,
Ali

arf005 said:
Thanks guys!

The new pics were taken with a Nikon D70s DSLR and the old ones with a Sony DSC-P10 compact. I use www.panoramafactory.com for the stitching programme to get the wide shots. As opposed to joining them in photoshop, or your mobile!

That type of photography is more suited to landscape shots, like these I took while in New Zealand on our Honeymoon last year......click on the thumbnails if you want to get the bigger picture.....

glenorchysmall9yt.png

theremarkablessmall3fh.png

milfordsoundsmall8ja.png

arrowtownsmall9oc.png

akaroamorningsmall9ym.png

kaikourasmall0lg.png

Oh, and I'm using imageshack for the hosting, but I guess you've figured that if you've checked the thumbnails......

Cheers,
Ali

Is the 3rd shot from Milford sound? I wish we made the effort to go there after this fantastic shot. Have to go back there one year.

Very nice room by the way. I wish i could hide all my cables like that. You should see behind my unit, its like a cabling nightmare!

Andy.

Simply stunning esp the speakers. :thumbsup:

Cheers John, and yes - you are right Andy, that was Milford Sound.
One of the many highlights of the trip!!

We did the 'fly-cruise-fly' thing from Queenstown and that was definitely the way to see it! It was our honeymoon after all......

This was our 'taxi' into the Sound.....along with a few others.....

nz52jr4.jpg

This was our boat for the cruise up the Sound.......

nz51ck6.jpg

Mitre Peak certainly was an impressive focal point at the centre of the Sound....

nz49tc1.jpg

But so was the scale of the whole fiord......

nz44sf2.jpg

Nice waterfall too......

nz42av5.jpg

The flight home was as cool as the one there.......

nz54tt8.jpg

With the same amazing views.....

nz61ax2.jpg

nz58wi2.jpg

Until finally back in Queenstown - with the Remarkables in the background....

nz63aa1.jpg

We were there for three weeks in total, toured round both Islands in our campervan.......and I'd do the whole thing again tomorrow!!!

Cheers,
Ali

That looks amazing. New zealand is on of the best places on earth in my opinion and we are definately going back there again. Fantastic roads as well, especially in a 4 litre Ford Commadoor. I could see myself living in Queenstown. (Wake up Andy!)
How much did the fly-cruise-fly thing cost? I saw the flyers for it but we didn't have time so didn't look into prices.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thought I'd bring this one back to the top, for those that haven't seen it already.......

It's been a while since I've surfed this forum - Sorry I didn't get back to you Andy.....it's been over two years now and I can't remember how much the fly/cruise/fly was....but it was definitely worth it......scarry how time flies!!

There's been no major additions to our set up in The Den......
I finally got round to wiring up the B&W CC6 S2, so we now have a 6.1 system, and as you can probably see, from the pics at the start, it's maybes a bit OTT for the size of the room, but we're happy!!

Latest addition downstairs is some Q4, currently housing my old Sherwood 5 disc changer and Rotel amp, seen here......

From this......

11lr8.jpg

To this........

theloungequ1.jpg

Pretty good I though, considering the room used to look like this.......

funky9uf.jpg

....but they (Rotel and cd changer) won't be there for long.......

That Naim/B&W stereo I talked about at the start of this thread will be taking up residence later this year......can't wait!!

Cheers,
Ali

Looking very nice. Just the thing for those long dark Aberdeenshire winters (my grandparents live in Peterhead).

Nice to see someone else using panoramas properly. Being a Mac user I use Stitcher. If you click on the link in my signature, all of the pictures were taken from a 360 deg QTVR, which I've also supplied a link to in one of the first paragraphs.

Look carefully on the RH wall and you'll see one I printed. The house is littered with them and visitors love them.

Cheers,

Russell

Loving the room mate. Certainly looks the part. Also, how do you find the Rotel Receiver? I've a friend who owns one and he prefers it to all the expensive Yamahas and Denons etc. I have to say I agree for the sheer quality of sound, if not the feature count.
Only one vice about the room. :beer: NEVER put anything but Stella in a Stella fridge! :lesson: I mean J2O?! It's not even alcoholic!
Otherwise stunning :thumbsup:

Russell,

you're right - cosy nights in sat up in our Den are great!!

Liked your pics, and very clean set up too btw.

Cheers,
Ali

Thanks DD - it took us a while to get everything done, especially the wiring - speaker cables and electrics around the old wardrobe, and I have horrible memories of sweating away behind the walls covered in rockwool........in fact, I think that's why I haven't been back in - I still need to run the component cable and ariel for the new Sony!!

But, it was definitely worth it!!!

Fantastic setup. :thumbsup: Definitely an improvement over the old room, who needs wardrobes anyway.:D

Love the B&W's, bet they pack a punch with the Rotel driving them.

Adam - the face plates were bought on-line from http://www.keene.co.uk

Arrived, bubble wrapped, and in a jiffy bag three days later - superb!!

Thanks for this, can I ask how they work.

I assume you run bable behind the walls, these then attach tlo the back of the plate, you then attach a shorter run of cabble from the plate to your speakers.

How do you attach the behind the wall cable to the plate, I see some of the items they have use solder connections- which I dont really want to use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom